1102-04 PACIFIC AVE, TACOMA

Taxonomy

Code

Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

1102-04 PACIFIC AVE, TACOMA

Equivalent terms

1102-04 PACIFIC AVE, TACOMA

Associated terms

1102-04 PACIFIC AVE, TACOMA

8 Collections results for 1102-04 PACIFIC AVE, TACOMA

8 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

Pacific Savings and Loan

Four of 33 technical drawings for the Pacific Savings and Loan Building. Four of the drawings in this collection were created by Russell and Babcock on June 15, 1908, fourteen years before the building would be constructed. Nineteen of the drawings in this collection were created by R.C. Reamer in July 23, 1930 for a renovation. The structure was demolished in 1963.

Ambrose James (sometimes Janvier) Russell was born in Trivandrum, India to a Scottish missionary. Russell studied at the University of Glasgow and the Ecole des Beaux Arts before coming to America in 1884. In 1895, Russell was the Director of the Watercolor Sketch Club, which displayed work at the Ferry Museum (now the Washington State Historical Society) and curated work from future partner Everett Phipps Babcock. In 1896, Russell was appointed a Professor of Architecture at the University of Washington in Seattle.

Russell formed partnerships with Albert Walter Spaulding and Frederick Henry Heath in 1901, Everett Phipps Babcock in 1905, H.G. Ripley in 1908, Walter E. Rice and Irving Harlan Thomas in 1908 and finally Gaston Lance, A. Gordon Lumm and Irwin Muri in 1930. Russell was a member of the American Institute of Architects, Secretary of the Tacoma Society of Architects and a Mason. When Russell passed, three of his Pallbearers were architects featured in this collection: Gaston Lance, Ernest Mock and Earl N. Dugan.

Everett Phipps Babcock was born in Tacoma and worked primarily with Ambrose James Russell as Russell & Babcock. In addition to the residences listed below, Babcock also built his own residence for his wife Clara on American Lake named "The Totem Pole." Babcock died suddenly after a routine tonsil removal operation in Pasadena, California.

Scandinavian American Bank Hotel

Two of 59 technical drawings created by Sutton & Whitney on December, 29, 1920. The Scandinavian American Bank Hotel was a proposed but never constructed building intended to be on the lot that the Pacific Savings and Loan building would occupy by 1922.

Albert Sutton was born in Victoria, British Columbia, raised in Portland, Oregon and graduated from the University of California in Berkeley. His first architectural partnership was with James Pickles in 1888, followed by a brief collaboration with Ambrose Russell which lasted only two years when Sutton relocated to San Francisco. When he returned to Tacoma, Sutton formed a partnership with Harrison A. Whitney and Earl Dugan in 1912. This partnership would last until 1923 when Sutton would die suddenly from heart failure. Albert Sutton was a 33rd degree Mason, the highest rank within the organization.

Harrison Allen Whitney was born in Osage, Iowa and graduated from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in architecture. After working in Boston and Chicago, Whitney moved to Portland, Oregon as head draftsman for Whidden & Lewis. This position led to Whitney contributing designs for the Lewis and Clark Exposition and the Multnomah County Courthouse. In 1912, Whitney partnered with Albert Sutton and would retain Sutton's name in his architectural firm long after his death in 1923.