3002 S 72ND ST, TACOMA

Taxonomy

Code

Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

3002 S 72ND ST, TACOMA

Equivalent terms

3002 S 72ND ST, TACOMA

Associated terms

3002 S 72ND ST, TACOMA

2 Collections results for 3002 S 72ND ST, TACOMA

2 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

Arlington Elementary School Addition

One of 32 technical drawings created for this property by Hill Mock & Griffin on April 18, 1924. These records appear to be rejected plans for the school during the bidding process.

Irwin (sometimes Irwyn) Horatio Hill was born in Illinois and graduated from the University of Illinois and Chicago Art Institute. After moving to Tacoma in 1903, Hill partnered with George Bullard, then Woodroofe and Griffin, then Hill, Mock & Griffin and finally Mock & Morrison. Hill was a member of the Tacoma Park Board and the Tacoma Rotary Club.

Ernest Thornton Mock is one of the few other architects in this collection that were born in Tacoma. Mock apprenticed for twelve years under Bullard & Russell before partnering with Irwin H. Hill and Jack Griffin in 1918. When Griffin left to pursue contracts in Lewis County, he was replaced by Nelson J. Morrison and shared a space in the Perkins Building. Mock's death in 1950 inspired the 88th annual reunion of the Scottish Rite Masons in Tacoma, to honor his 25 years of service.

Jack Griffin was born in Los Angeles, CA and graduated from the University of Santa Clara. After moving to Seattle, Griffin formed a partnership with Irwin H. Hill, Arnott Woodroofe and later with Ernest T. Mock. When Griffin left the partnership in 1924, he would work extensively in the Lewis County area, creating courthouses, schools, churches and theaters with distinctive Spanish Colonial Revival and Mission Revival Style influences.