701 S 37TH ST, TACOMA

Taxonomy

Code

Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

701 S 37TH ST, TACOMA

Equivalent terms

701 S 37TH ST, TACOMA

Associated terms

701 S 37TH ST, TACOMA

146 Collections results for 701 S 37TH ST, TACOMA

146 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

D139689-1

Presentation of the Totem Trophy by the Young Men's Business Club was made on November 2, 1963, to Coach John Heinrick of the University of Puget Sound. Seniors Ralph Bauman (#60) and Jack Sather (#23) stand next to their coach. The Loggers came from behind to defeat Pacific Lutheran University 9-7 to claim the Totem Trophy which is given to the winner of the annual match. UPS took home the Totem Trophy for the 13th time in 17 attempts. The tradition of Logger-Lute football dates back to about 1931 and is one of the longest running rivalries in the Northwest. Coach Heinrick was a coach, teacher and administrator at the University of Puget Sound for 30 years. Each year an award is given for the most inspirational athlete in Mr. Heinrick's name. Photograph ordered by Y.M.B.C. (TNT 11-3-63, B-12, TNT 11-8-63, p. 25)


Awards; Football--Tacoma--1960-1970; Football players--Tacoma--1960-1970; Heinrick, John; Bauman, Ralph; Sather, Jack; Young Mens Business Club (Tacoma);

D123930-2

Lincoln High School drill team Marcetta-Ki for the 1960 yearbook "Lincolnian." Marcetta Ki was Lincoln's marching team. They performed at half times during home games and marched in 3 parades in 1960, one of which was Tacoma's Daffodil Parade. Girls with good posture, average grades, a nice personality and good figure were chosen to be members of the club. ( "1960 Lincolnian")


Lincoln High School (Tacoma); Marcetta-Ki (Tacoma); Drum majorettes--Tacoma--1950-1960; Drill teams;

A114493-6

The glass-encased multi-story fine arts annex at Lincoln High School was dedicated in November of 1957 and open for public viewing as part of the annual Back-to-School night and observance of American Education Week. It was the first major improvement at the school in several years. The modernistic steel and concrete Fine Arts Building is adjacent to the ivy-covered walls of the main building. Photograph ordered by Bethlehem Pacific Coast Steel Corporation. TPL-8474


Lincoln High School (Tacoma); Public schools--Tacoma--1950-1960;

D112530-2

Harold Stamey, owner of Stamey Insurance, sponsored several amateur baseball and basketball teams in the 1950's. During the 1957-58 season, he sponsored a rookie basketball team called the "Stamey's" composed of ten 10-year-olds. From L-R in the back row in February of 1958: Mr. Leon Cunningham, Larry Mock, Jerry Mock, Ronnie Lyons, Richard Dixon, Curtis Stamey and Mr. Harold Stamey. Front row, L-R, David Cooper, Ricky Nordquist, John Fishburn, Keith Smith and Buddy Brown. This photograph was taken in the Lincoln High School gym. Photograph ordered by Stamey Insurance.


Stamey Insurance Inc. (Tacoma); Basketball players--Tacoma--1950-1960; Basketball--Tacoma--1950-1960; Stamey, Harold; Stamey, Curtis; Cunningham, Leon;

D106095-10

Maintaining a sportsmanlike atmosphere at all athletic events and encouraging participation in all sports at all levels were two of the primary goals of the Lettermen's Club at Lincoln High School. Three of the officers during the 1956-57 school year were: (l to r) Jerry Cecchi, sergeant at arms; Dick Pruett, Vice-president; and Roger Coleman, secretary-treasurer. All three lettered in two or more sports during their high school careers. For some reason club president Herm Magnuson was not photographed with the other officers. Photograph ordered by the Lincolnian yearbook. (1957 Lincolnian, p. 107)


Athletes--Tacoma--1950-1960; Cecchi, Jerry; Pruett, Dick; Coleman, Roger; Lincoln High School (Tacoma); Public schools--Tacoma--1950-1960;

D106095-2

Jack McLin, advisor, stands with Rifle Club members outside the steps of Lincoln High School on April 12, 1957. The Rifle Club at Lincoln had a long tradition of safety in shooting. It was established in 1927 and since then, had had no record of accidents. Each member was careful when shooting, in practice or in matches, and all new members were instructed by old members on the proper use of firearms. Generally the club shot at a range of 50 yards, nearly always holding matches indoors. Lincoln participated in a league with teams from Stadium, Clover Park, Everett, Franklin Pierce, Sumner and Puyallup. The Girls' team finished first in its league. Photograph ordered by the Lincolnian yearbook. (1957 Lincolnian, p. 110)


Rifle Club (Tacoma); Clubs--Tacoma--1950-1960; Lincoln High School (Tacoma); Public schools--Tacoma--1950-1960; Students--Tacoma--1950-1960; McLin, Jack; Rifles;

D107280-24

Representing Boise, Idaho, at the Pacific Northwest Shrine Association 's June gathering were the El Korah Temple members. Their drum and bugle corps was accompanied by a drum major. El Korah was one of eight bands attending the massive convention; they were photographed at night on June 7, 1957, prior to entertaining fellow Shriners. Photograph ordered by Pacific Northwest Shrine Association.


Meetings--Tacoma--1950-1960; Pacific Northwest Shrine Association (Tacoma); Fraternal organizations--Idaho--Boise; Uniforms; Drums; Drum majors;

D93892-22

Bob Keister appears to be preparing to punt as the Lincoln High School sophomore practices with his varsity teammates on November 1, 1955. Besides lettering in football, Keister also was on the successful Sophomore Blacks basketball team and on the Reserve baseball roster. By the time his career concluded at Lincoln, Keister also lettered in varsity baseball as a pitcher and served as Hi-Y president. (1956 Lincolnian yearbook, p.52, p.63, p. 66; 1958 Lincolnian yearbook, p. 23)


Football players--Tacoma--1950-1960; Lincoln High School (Tacoma); Keister, Robert;

D93892-20

Royal Magnus takes a stance as the letterman prepares for another season of Lincoln football. Lincoln had another successful year as it rebounded from losing all but three first-stringers to winning the City Title and splitting the Capitol League crown with Olympia High School. Magnus would also participate in the decathlon intramurals, Hi-Y Club, and the Forestry Club. (1956 Lincolnian, p. 53, 71, 117, 120) TPL-8473


Football players--Tacoma--1950-1960; Lincoln High School (Tacoma); Magnus, Royal;

D93892-31

Preparing for a run, Jim E. Jones cradles the football with both hands as he poses for a November 1, 1955, photograph. Jones was on the varsity squad at Lincoln High School. Lincoln suffered only one loss in the 1955 season which was to the co-titlist Olympia High School Bears. Jim E. Jones also served as the manager of the varsity track team. (1956 Lincolnian yearbook, p. 51, 69)


Football players--Tacoma--1950-1960; Lincoln High School (Tacoma); Jones, Jim E.;

D93162-1

Eleven members of the Lincoln High School Student Council posed with a large banner on September 9, 1955, urging their classmates to demonstrate their school spirit by purchasing ASB cards for a mere $5.50. These activity cards helped support athletic events, dances, the Lincolnian Newspaper and the Lincolnian yearbook. Lincoln students bought more cards than their Stadium counterparts. As a result Stadium H.S. had to present an assembly on Lincoln's campus in payment for losing the contest. Students identified above are: Jean Bucklin, Lincoln News editor (seated L) and Amie Spencer, Lincolnian editor (seated R). Standing are: Joe Devish, Senior rep.; Sharon Gaisford, Girls Club rep.; Dick Beddoe, Sportsmen's Club rep.; Marilee Andersen, Vice-president; Lee Hauge, Yell King; John Sabol, Junior rep.; Duane Christensen, President; Nancy Reinvik, Secretary; and Loren Hildebrand, Commissioner of Finance.


Lincoln High School (Tacoma); Public schools--Tacoma--1950-1960; Banners--Tacoma; Students--Tacoma--1950-1960; Student organizations--Tacoma--1950-1960;

D93892-34

Halfback Harry Harper has a firm grip on the football in this November 1, 1955, photograph. Harper, of Lincoln High School, was a "clutch" player known for his hard running, jarring blocking and alert defense. He scored 10 touchdowns his senior year and was named to the All-Capitol League first team. He was also honored by the Tacoma Lions Club with their second annual "Outstanding Player" award. He was an instrumental part in Lincoln's 19-0 victory over Stadium on Thanksgiving Day 1955. (1956 Lincolnian yearbook, p. 50, p. 53-54)


Football players--Tacoma--1950-1960; Lincoln High School (Tacoma); Harper, Harry;

D95643-1

It takes a lot of hot dogs to fill up hungry students at Lincoln High School. In December of 1955 the cafeteria staff at Lincoln were prepared to cook hundreds of wieners as part of a typical school lunchtime menu. The cafeteria staff member are (l to r) M. Sidelman; Florence Dye; Aslaug Botnen; Alta Cleary, Chief Cook; Clara Matousek, Pastry Cook and Melba Rollefson, Home Economics Department. (Photograph ordered by the Lincolnian yearbook.) (1956 Lincolnian, p. 11)


Cooks; Frankfurters--Tacoma; Lincoln High School (Tacoma); Public schools--Tacoma--1950-1960;

D95643-6

The large staff of Lincoln High School apparently enjoyed a Christmas gathering on school grounds prior to the 1955 Christmas break. Corsages were given to all women staff members. There were probably skits as entertainment; at least three ladies in the first row are dressed in cancan outfits while a few men have their pant legs rolled up. A gaily decorated tree covered with tinsel and bright ornaments is in the left corner. Photograph ordered by Lincolnian yearbook.


Group portraits; Lincoln High School (Tacoma); Public schools--Tacoma--1950-1960; Christmas trees--Tacoma--1950-1960;

D96565-8

Music was an important part of Lincoln High School in the 1950's. Their orchestra, under the direction of Robert Dezell, was considered one of the finest high school orchestras in the state. Musicians kept busy with many appearances locally, including the Western Washington Fair, Mid-Winter and Spring concerts, and participating in junior high school Christmas Vespers. In addition, 26 orchestral members were selected to join the Puget Sound Festival Orchestra. View of orchestra on stage at Lincoln High School; names of individuals are listed in the 1956 Lincolnian yearbook, p. 83. Photograph ordered by the Lincolnian yearbook. TPL-8135


Orchestras--Tacoma--1950-1960; Youth orchestras--Tacoma--1950-1960; Lincoln High School (Tacoma);

D96565-15

Group portrait of Lincoln High School choir. Lincoln had several choir groups; the most accomplished singers were in the A Cappella Choir directed by Glenn Bergh. They were invited to tour the Western Washington College of Education in Bellingham, along with the Lincoln orchestra, and performed for students and faculty. In addition, they made appearances at several schools on the way back to Tacoma. Their voices added to the entertainment at the Mid-Winter Concert, Christmas Vespers, and Spring Concert. The A Cappella Choir was headed by Ken Reid, president. Names of individuals are listed in the 1956 Lincolnian yearbook, p. 84. Photograph ordered by the Lincolnian.


Choirs (Music); Students--Tacoma--1950-1960; Lincoln High School (Tacoma);

D84883-1

Eleven Lincoln High School leaders along with the school's principal stood on the steps of Lincoln High School with a large banner promoting school spirit in September of 1954. Principal Kenneth Flora is flanked by Sally Strobel, senior representative on the student council (on left) and student body president Robert L. Simpson and Ida Kvenild (on the right). Wonderful values were still available through the purchase of an Associated Student Body Membership Card, with admittance to various sporting events and reduced admission rates on plays, shows, bus fares and the school yearbook, the Lincolnian. School had opened earlier in the month so there was still plenty of time to get involved in the numerous activities that Lincoln offered. Photograph ordered by the Lincoln News, school newspaper.


Lincoln High School (Tacoma); Public schools--Tacoma--1950-1960; Students--Tacoma--1950-1960; Banners--Tacoma; Signs (Notices); Flora, Kenneth; School principals--Tacoma--1950-1960; Strobel, Sally; Simpson, Robert L.; Kvenild, Ida;

BOLAND-B10167

Lincoln High School students assembled around the school's statue of Abraham Lincoln during this Memorial Day (May 29) 1924 celebration honoring veterans as well as the martyred President after whom the school has been named. The outdoor ceremony replaced the indoor ones of previous years and was sponsored by school service organizations, Knights of Lincoln and the Takolah Club. Lincoln High School can be seen in the background with the original stadium bowl to the right. (TNT 5/30/1924, pg. 13) TPL-3199, Boland-B10167


Lincoln High School (Tacoma); Students--Tacoma--1920-1930; Holidays--Tacoma--1920-1930; Crowds;

BOLAND-B10168

During the 1924 Memorial Day ceremony at Lincoln High School, Eunice Huseby, left, president of the Takolah Club, and Florence Anderson, right, president-elect, placed a floral wreath at the foot of the school's statue of Abraham Lincoln. The girls, dressed in white skirts and blouses, stood on a makeshift platform. The students at Lincoln had planned a ceremony that honored the school's namesake as well as veterans. (TNT 5/30/1924, pg. 13) TPL-8137, BU-11371


Lincoln High School (Tacoma); Students--Tacoma--1920-1930; Holidays--Tacoma--1920-1930; Crowds--Tacoma--1920-1930; Wreaths--Tacoma; Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865--Monuments & memorials--Tacoma; Huseby, Eunice; Anderson, Florence;

BOLAND-B11349

On November 19, 1924, three stalwart football players on the Lincoln High School team, (l-r) David Rice, James Mosolf and Richard Johnson, posed for a photograph on what may be school grounds. Rice was a right tackle and field captain for the first game against Stadium. He was also Senior Class president. Mosolf, field captain for the third and final match against Stadium, played left end and then quarterbacked the team the final two games. Johnson was the team punter as well as playing fullback and left end; his drop kick from the 30-yard line proved to be the winning score during the last game of the season. They are in practice gear as the big intercity clash with Stadium High School loomed in the near future. G46.1-040 (1925 Lincolnian, various pages)


Football players--Tacoma--1920-1930; Lincoln High School (Tacoma); Students--Tacoma--1920-1930; Rice, David; Mosolf, James; Johnson, Richard;

BOLAND-B5617

In February of 1922, Manley Edwards (extreme right, front row) was elected president of Lincoln High School's newly organized Radio Club. The club had attracted over 40 male and female students, many of whom were licensed radio operators, and was looking to add more members. Faculty advisor A.J. Bell had organized classes in radio which were held during school hours and were taught by club members. The Board of Education had given a gift of $150 to buy a radio set, but the club members decided to build their own instead using the school's electrical shop. Names of the club members were listed in the Tacoma Daily Ledger's April 5, 1922, issue. TPL-3196; G47.1-003 (Lincolnian March 1922, p. 16-article; Lincolnian April 1922, p. 12-article; TDL 4-5-22, p. 4)


Lincoln High School (Tacoma); Students--Tacoma--1920-1930; Radio Club (Tacoma); Edwards, Manley;

BOLAND-B7011

Lincoln High School students were Santa's helpers in 1922 when they reached out to make Christmas a merrier time for many local children. Students had donated used toys which were refurbished and made "new" by the sewing, art, and manual training classes on campus. The newspaper staff of the Lincoln High School News started the drive by traveling to various homes to pick up donations. They are believed to be pictured above along with the numerous dolls, balls, books and other toys they collected. G21.1-172 ( See Boland B7041 for additional article and photographs of the enterprising students)


Lincoln High School (Tacoma); Students--Tacoma--1920-1930; Charity--Tacoma; Community service--Tacoma--1920-1930; Toys; Gifts;

BOLAND-B7041

Santa's helpers. Six members of the Lincoln High School News returned to school on December 19, 1922, loaded down with used toys that were donated by generous Lincoln High students. The newspaper staff had traveled to student homes to collect the toys, most of which were in need of repair. Thanks to the school newspaper, and the hard work of the manual training, sewing and art classes at Lincoln, many local children would receive toys that had been refurbished until they were as good as new. The steady and skillful hands of Lincoln's students repaired toys ranging from tricycles, drums, kiddie cars, and sleds to automobiles, toy horses, chairs & beds and hundreds of dolls. The school hoped to make their Santa's Workshop an annual event. An article in the December 24, 1922, Sunday Ledger identified the students in the above photograph as (l to r): Carl Schmid, Lloyd Eberhart, Morrill Folsom, Constance Markuson, Norma Huseby and John McKown. G20.1-209 (Tacoma Sunday Ledger, 12-24-22, magazine section).


Lincoln High School (Tacoma); Students--Tacoma--1920-1930; Charity--Tacoma; Community service--Tacoma--1920-1930; Toys; Gifts; Automobiles--Tacoma--1920-1930;

BOLAND-B9709

Lincoln High School Orchestra. Lincoln High School in 1924 had two orchestras, with 62 in the senior group and 55 in the junior. They were led by Mr. Nason (standing at left in first row). The orchestra played at all assemblies, concert-dramas movie nights and for several civic organizations. This photograph, taken on the Lincoln campus, was used in the 1924 school yearbook, the Lincolnian. G47.1-012 (1924 Lincolnian, p. 112-113)


Lincoln High School (Tacoma); Public schools--Tacoma--1920-1930; Students--Tacoma--1920-1930; Orchestras--Tacoma--1920-1930;

BOLAND-B22200

Lincoln High School's International Club posed outside school doors on March 13, 1930. Their aim was to "form world-wide friendship between students." Members accomplished this by exchanging letters with young people from other countries and presenting colorful programs featuring life in foreign lands. Among those participating as a club officer was Yoshio Iwanaga, believed to be at extreme left, front row. The International Club was formed in 1927 at Lincoln. Photograph taken for the Lincolnian yearbook. (1930 Lincolnian, p. 92-93)


International Club (Tacoma); Lincoln High School (Tacoma); Students--Tacoma--1930-1940; Iwanaga, Yoshio;

BOLAND-B22491

The South Tacoma baseball club, along with coaches and ball boys, posed for a a team picture on May 1, 1930, prior to their 0-0 tie with the Vince Duckwitz-lead McKinley Ave. ("McKinley Hill") crew. Elwood Anderson would go on to pitch a no-hitter in the six-inning game. The "Chevrolets" were managed by Bill Schott, new to managing a City League team. They are seated in three rows; many are wearing sweaters with the team name over their uniforms. Bottom row, fourth from left, is possibly Art Berg, first baseman and future Tacoma Pierce County Sports Hall of Famer. (TDL 5-2-30, p. 8) TPL-7140; G53.1-010


Baseball players--Tacoma--1930-1940; Lincoln Bowl (Tacoma);

BOLAND-B22489

Group photograph of the Kay Street baseball team taken on May 1, 1930. Presumably sponsored by the busy Kay Street business district, the Kay Streeters look alert as do the numerous small fry in the background. Managed by catcher Sammy Cappa, the Kay Streeters defeated the Cammarano Bros. team 4-0 before 500 fans in opening league play for both teams. Harold Johnson, Sr., has been identified as the player second from left in the bottom row. Sammy Cappa is sitting in the second row from bottom at the far right. (TDL 5-2-30, p. 8) G53.1-015; TPL-446. (Additional identification provided by a reader)


Baseball players--Tacoma--1930-1940; Baseball--Tacoma--1930-1940; Lincoln Bowl (Tacoma); Johnson, Harold; Cappa, Sammy;

Results 1 to 30 of 146