Part of Chapin Bowen Photographs
Tacoma's grand opera house, the Tacoma Theater was built at 902 Broadway in 1889. It was converted into a motion picture theater in 1927 and renamed the Broadway Theater (or Theatre, as on its marquee). Workmen are seen preparing the new marquee in January of 1927. Over 20,000 people attended the grand opening on Feb. 4, 1927. Renamed the Music Box Theater in 1933, the building was destroyed in a spectacular fire on April 30, 1963.