Business -- Hotels



Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

Business -- Hotels

Business -- Hotels

Equivalent terms

Business -- Hotels

Associated terms

Business -- Hotels

236 Collections results for Business -- Hotels

236 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

BOWEN G76.1-137

In early March of 1926, Albert C.C. Gamer was being loaded down with Tacoma tourist information as he prepared to depart for Paris for the International Hotelmen's Convention. Mr. Gamer, the manager of the Olympus Hotel at 815 Pacific, was approached by area civic organizations as the proper person to carry Tacoma's invitation to Europe. Surrounding Mr. Gamer, left to right, are Joseph Erpelding, carrying Mr. Gamer's bag; Gladys Mase of the City Light Department, giving him facts and pictures of the Cushman power project; Mrs. R.N. Bergen of the Hotel Winthrop; Ruth Edwards (standing) representing the Rainier National Park Co. and Agnes Hansen, representing the Civic Development Bureau of the Tacoma News Tribune. The International Hotelmen met once every three years and the meeting was attending by hosts from all around the world. (TNT 3/11/1926, pg. 1) TPL-6331; Bowen #26141

BOWEN G30.1-098

ca. 1927. This handtinted photograph of the Tacoma Hotel was taken circa 1927. Built in 1884, and considered by many Tacoma's showcase, the elegant hotel had welcomed many distinguished guests over the decades including Presidents of the United States, actors and sports idols. Magnificent views of The Mountain, Commencement Bay and the City Waterway greeted these visitors. The massive modified Tudor structure occupied an entire block in downtown Tacoma. It was destroyed by fire on October 17, 1935 and not rebuilt. The Tacoma Hotel Annex at 904-06 A St. was remodeled after the fire to serve as the new Tacoma Hotel but never reached the acclaim of the original.

BOWEN G31.1-018

ca. 1934. Two men share a table in the "Ben Johnson Coffee Shoppe" in the Tacoma Hotel circa 1934. On the wall next to them is the saying "Here's Wishing Us All More Friends And Less Need Of Them." The Tacoma Hotel, built on the bluff overlooking Commencement Bay, received much acclaim befitting its elegant structure. It was destroyed by fire on October 17, 1935.

BOWEN G30.1-130

ca. 1934. A team of Budweiser Clydesdales delivers cases of beer to Tacoma Hotel in this circa 1934 photograph. The Clydesdales, in harness, have paused outside the entrance to the elegant hotel, one of Tacoma's most famous landmarks. Back then the Budweiser Clydesdales were a new sight, introduced to the public in April of 1933 to celebrate the repeal of Prohibition. The Clydesdale horses were used for promotions by the Anheuser-Busch Brewing Co. They were hitched to red, white and gold beer wagons. Each horse was selected with certain characteristics and temperaments and each had to be a gelding. The Budweiser Clydesdales are still being used for commercials and promotions nearly eighty years after this photograph was taken. ( -article)


ca. 1933. Photograph of the Olympus Hotel, circa 1933. The Olympus Hotel was built in 1909 by Dan Gamer and Leopold Schmidt. It was designed by architects Darmer & Cutting. The hotel closed in 1974 and was remodeled in 1978 into apartments.

Boats at Northern Pacific dock with Blackwell Hotel, Tacoma, Washington Territory, circa 1885

Boats at Northern Pacific dock, Tacoma, Washington Territory, circa 1885. The owners of the warehouse in the center of photograph were not identified. The large building to the far left is the Blackwell Hotel, considered New Tacoma's first hotel. Built by the Northern Pacific Railroad, it opened on January 1, 1874 and closed in 1884. It was razed during the summer of 1901. KING-002, TPL-1095


ca. 1973. 1973 Richards stock footage. The former Winthrop Hotel gets a good scrubbing by Allied Mobile Powerwash in 1973 as powerful streams of water remove dirt and grime from its exterior. This view is of the Winthrop's back. A glimpse of the Pantages Theater is on the extreme left edge. The Winthrop ceased operations as a hotel in August of 1971 and was converted into senior/elderly housing in 1973.

Hotel Winthrop (Tacoma); Cleaning--Tacoma--1970-1980;


ca. 1973. 1973 Richards stock footage. An Allied Mobile Powerwash truck is parked outside the Winthrop in 1973 as it prepares to clean the exterior of the former landmark hotel. The Winthrop, built in 1925, had closed its doors in early August of 1971. It was converted into senior/elderly apartments to be opened in August of 1973.

Hotel Winthrop (Tacoma); Cleaning--Tacoma--1970-1980;


Sherwood Inn. The Sherwood Inn, located at So. 84th & Hosmer, celebrated its grand opening on August 18, 1965. The 121-unit inn reportedly contained the second largest banquet facilities in the Northwest; entitled the "Guild Hall," it had a seating capacity of 450. The Sherwood Inn contained three dining rooms, an all-electric kitchen and bakery, 24-hour coffee shop, heated swimming pool and electrically heated sauna. Designed by architects Nelsen, Krona & Ziegler, and built by the Merit Co., the Sherwood Inn offered plenty of free parking and easy access to the freeway. It was located about 1.5 miles south of the Tacoma Mall. The above photograph was taken on May 25, 1970. (TNT ad 8-15-65, B-6; TNT 8-17-65, p. 8-9 article)

Sherwood Inn (Tacoma); Hotels--Tacoma--1970-1980;


Sherwood Inn. With its name in letters 10-feet high, the Sherwood Inn would be visible for more than a mile from the nearby freeway. It had 121 rooms and a variety of banquet and other dining facilities. The rooms were equipped with extra long, extra wide beds. The Bon Marche reportedly provided the rooms' furnishings. The hotel had opened on August 18, 1965 and was a fixture in the city's south end for many years. By 2006, it had become a newly renovated Red Lion Hotel. (TNT 8-17-65, p. 8-9 - article, TNT ad 8-15-65, B-6)

Sherwood Inn (Tacoma); Hotels--Tacoma--1970-1980;


Standard room at the Doric Tacoma Motor Hotel. According to the 1972 City Directory, all of the 105 rooms in the Doric Tacoma Motor Hotel (formerly America West Tacoma Motor Hotel) were listed as "delux." Catering to the business traveler, the hotel provided comfortable double beds, extra tables for writing and laying out luggage, and bright lighting. Rooms had wall-to-wall carpeting. This particular room was decorated in warm colors of gold and bronze. Color photograph ordered by the Doric Tacoma Motor Hotel.

Doric Tacoma Motor Hotel (Tacoma); Hotels--Tacoma--1970-1980;


Lobby of the Doric Tacoma Motor Hotel. Several guests are pictured in the spacious lobby of the Doric Tacoma Motor Hotel on July 28, 1972. Four of them are descending the wide staircase which is carpeted in blush tones. Wearing green is Carol Benton (now Mazzuca). Rich and Linda Johnson are the couple in the middle. Coming up the stairs is Marge Steffan while restaurant manager Bob Adam (in blue suit) speaks on the telephone. The Doric Tacoma Motor Hotel had opened in August of 1960. Its location on Saint Helens Ave. was handy for business travelers as it was close to downtown. A few years later the hotel underwent a name change to "America West Tacoma Motor Hotel," only to seemingly revert back to its original name sometime in 1972. The 1973 City Directory indicates that the hotel was now a member of Prestige Inns. Photograph ordered by Doric Tacoma Motor Hotel. (Additional information provided by a reader)

Doric Tacoma Motor Hotel (Tacoma); Hotels--Tacoma--1970-1980; Lobbies--Tacoma--1970-1980;


This view is believed to have been taken from the 4-story Doric Tacoma Motor Hotel, 242 Saint Helens Ave., on July 28, 1972. Hotel guests would have a magnificent view of Commencement Bay. Directly below the Doric Tacoma Motor Hotel is the Sky Terrace, an 8-story apartment house. Color photograph ordered by the Doric Tacoma Motor Hotel.

Doric Tacoma Motor Hotel (Tacoma); Sky Terrace Apartments (Tacoma); Commencement Bay (Wash.);


Dining at the Winthrop Hotel. Four diners are enjoying a beautifully served meal at the Winthrop Hotel in April of 1963. Two waiters attend their table; one is preparing to pour from a bottle of wine while the other carefully displays a platter of onions, mushrooms and beef. The Winthrop had several banquet rooms, the Sabre Room, a coffee shop, and the remodeled and renamed Three Keys main dining room. Photograph ordered by the Winthrop Hotel.

Hotels--Tacoma--1960-1970; Restaurants--Tacoma--1960-1970; Waiters--Tacoma--1960-1970; Hotel Winthrop (Tacoma);


Winthrop Hotel. Large bedroom suite at the Winthrop Hotel. By 1963, the Winthrop was 38 years old and new management undertook the renovation of the downtown hotel. This room, along with other refurbished rooms, was photographed on August 7, 1963. It contained two double beds, a pair of comfortable arm chairs, large mirror and writing desk. Modern lighting helped to brighten the room. Photograph ordered by the Winthrop Hotel. BU-12178

Hotels--Tacoma--1960-1970; Beds; Mirrors; Hotel Winthrop (Tacoma);


Doric Hotel. A quiet study in blue is this Doric Hotel room dressed in shades of robin egg's blue, baby blue, and sky blue. The calming combination of the various blues with the blending of white lamps and window shades would provide a restful atmosphere for visitors to the Doric in 1964.

Doric Tacoma Motor Hotel (Tacoma);


Doric Hotel. View of room on April 13, 1964, at the Doric Tacoma Motor Hotel with two double beds, two arm chairs, writing desk and television. Shades are left open on the large window to display beautiful view of Tacoma's waterways. The Doric had opened its doors in August, 1960.

Doric Tacoma Motor Hotel (Tacoma); Hotels--Tacoma--1960-1970;


Color view of large Doric Hotel suite on April 13, 1964. Soft lighting liberally dispersed by the many lamps in this elegant hotel suite. Two pairs of arm chairs and couches along with double bed and modified lounge on the wall-to-wall carpet.

Doric Tacoma Motor Hotel (Tacoma); Hotels--Tacoma--1960-1970; Suites--Tacoma;


View of two-story Jeri-Lin Motel. The Jeri-Lin Motel, located at So. 72nd and Pacific Avenue, was built in 1962 by Bozich Construction Co. Constructed of brick and wood, the structure had a flat roof and sported dots of various sizes as decorations on its outer walls. The name of the motel, the Jeri-Lin, was written in cursive lettering on one end of the brick wall. An attractive light colored decorated concrete block wall and modest landscaping enhanced the smooth lawn.

Jeri-Lin Motel (Tacoma); Motels--Tacoma--1960-1970;


Dining room of the Doric Tacoma Motor Hotel. Upholstered in gold leather and midnight blue, the semi-circular seating provides comfort and some privacy in the dining room of the new Doric Hotel. Walls were constructed of cedar panels and paintings highlighted of Native Americans. The patrons look pleased to be dining at this new facility, the "Tahoma." Chef John Espinoza offered a menu of many speciality dishes, including sauerbraten and wiener schnitzel. The hotel had opened in August, 1960, at 242 Saint Helens Avenue. It was conveniently located to downtown businesses and shopping with ample free parking. (TNT ad, 1-31-61, A-7) TPL-9886

Doric Tacoma Motor Hotel (Tacoma); Hotels--Tacoma--1960-1970; Dining rooms--Tacoma--1960-1970;


Night exposure exterior new Doric Hotel. A new convertible is parked under the large Doric Hotel drive-way roof as its occupants prepare to remove luggage and water skis. This July 21, 1960, photograph may have been used as advertising as the motel itself did not open officially until several weeks later. The totally electric 123-unit facility was built at a cost of $1,425,000 including fixtures and furniture. The Doric was part of a Seattle-based chain of motor hotels stretching from British Columbia to Southern California. (TNT 8-12-60, p. 8) TPL-9887

Doric Tacoma Motor Hotel (Tacoma); Hotels--Tacoma--1960-1970;


Exterior of new Doric Hotel, taken pre-grand opening on July 22, 1960. A large overhang would provide protection for motorists unloading luggage and passengers at the new Doric Tacoma Motel Hotel. Parking for 184 cars was conveniently located for the four-story hotel. The Doric was a concrete structure with frame partitions and block ends. The 123-unit, $1,425,000 hotel was built by Merritt Construction and designed by architects Kroma, Wilson & Zigler. The Doric would open on August 13, 1960, at 242 Saint Helens Ave. (TNT 8-12-60, p. 8, 9)

Doric Tacoma Motor Hotel (Tacoma); Hotels--Tacoma--1960-1970; Signs (Notices);


Interior of Doric Hotel. Deluxe accommodations included double bed, lounge, table with two chairs and two small coffee tables. In addition, televisions with remote control, clock radios, dial phones, glass-enclosed showers, and heat lamps and ceramic tiles in the bathrooms were provided. Each room had wall-to-wall carpeting and electric blankets. The Doric advertised itself as having "the most comfortable beds in the Northwest." Each of the 123 units in the hotel was soundproof. Closed curtains cover large windows which spanned completely across the room's outer walls. The Doric Tacoma Motor Hotel opened in August, 1960, and was managed by Thomas L. Hill. (TNT 8-12-60, p. 8, TNT Ad 1-31-61, A-7) TPL-9888

Doric Tacoma Motor Hotel (Tacoma); Hotels--Tacoma--1960-1970;


The four-story Doric Tacoma Motel, at 242 Saint Helens Avenue, opened on August 13, 1960. The motor hotel, which was located within blocks of Tacoma's downtown business district, was equipped with a banquet room, restaurant, barber shop and jewelry store. It offered a heated swimming pool and ample free parking for 184 cars. In 2000 it became Cascade Park Vista, a health care facility. (TNT 8-12-60, p. 8) TPL-9838

Doric Tacoma Motor Hotel (Tacoma); Hotels--Tacoma--1960-1970; Signs (Notices);


Six employees of the Winthrop Hotel's Sabre Room pose for a group picture on November 12, 1958. The waitresses are dressed in Old English costume as the restaurant featured Elizabethan dishes, focusing on beef. Heavy wooden beams and panels and plain furniture accentuated the Old World atmosphere. The women stand before an Oak Room sign; this may have been a separate dining room contained within the Sabre Room. The Winthrop Hotel was now part of the Western Hotels, Inc., chain. This, and other photographs taken that day, were scheduled to be published in a magazine. Photograph ordered by the Winthrop Hotel.

Dining rooms--Tacoma--1950-1960; Waitresses--Tacoma; Hotel Winthrop (Tacoma);


Interior of Sabre Room, Winthrop Hotel. The Sabre Room had been extensively remodeled in 1955 but kept its Old World atmosphere. It featured a predominately Old English menu with plenty of roast prime rib. Flaming shish kebab and English pastries were new dishes added. View of the Sabre Room shows a heavily wooded decor with sturdy beams and an open cooking area. Two crossed swords and a breastplate of armor hang on the wall. Customers could dance to the tunes of the Mary Van Trio on Fridays and Saturdays without worry about feeding the meter; the restaurant allowed two hours of free parking. Dinners ranged from $2.10 upward. This, and other photographs taken that day, were scheduled to be printed in an unidentified magazine. Photograph ordered by the Winthrop Hotel. (TNT 10-14-58, p. 22- Ad)

Dining rooms--Tacoma--1950-1960; Daggers & swords; Hotel Winthrop (Tacoma);


Group boarding bus at the Olympus Hotel, photograph ordered by the Young Calvinist. Members of the group appear to be of many different ages. Based on the ordering newspaper, the group must be followers of Calvinism. According to the Webster's Dictionary, the theological system of John Calvin and his followers is marked by a strong emphasis on the sovereignty of God, the depravity of mankind and the doctrine of predestination.

Olympus Hotel (Tacoma); Hotels--Tacoma--1950-1960;


A number of Tacoma landmarks are on view in this image of Saint Helens Avenue from September of 1954. The historic Bostwick Building at right foreground then housed the Brant Hotel with Reed's Hats below. Built about 1890, it stands out because of its unusually wedge shape design. To the left of the photograph in the 700 block of Saint Helens is the Caswell Optical Co., a longtime occupant, with a large billboard for Heidelberg beer positioned on its rooftop. The 17-story Medical Arts Building (now the Tacoma Municipal Building) next door stands much taller than its neighbors.

Brant Hotel (Tacoma); Reeds Hats (Tacoma); Caswell Optical Co. (Tacoma); Medical Arts Building (Tacoma); Commercial streets--Tacoma--1950-1960; Billboards--Tacoma--1950-1960;

F. Jay Haynes TPL-1334

ca. 1890. Tacoma Hotel and Mason Block Bldg. on A Street. Shaw & Naubert, a real estate company, occupied 1001 A Street, at right in the photograph. The firm was one of the first occupants of the Mason Block, built by Allen C. Mason in 1888. The building would later house the Mason Hotel and after remodeling, the Fairmont Hotel. The elegant Tacoma Hotel, 913 A Street (at left in photograph), was Tacoma's pride until it was destroyed by fire in 1935. Although parts of the downtown business area still had dirt streets, this portion boasted planked roadway. Photo from "Northern Pacific Railroad Scenery" with photos by F. Jay Haynes (F. Jay Haynes Collection)

Tacoma Hotel (Tacoma); Hotels--Tacoma--1890-1900; Shaw & Naubert (Tacoma); Real estate business--Tacoma--1890-1900; Commercial streets--Tacoma--1890-1900;

F. Jay Haynes TPL-1332

ca. 1890. View of Tacoma from Commencement Bay, circa 1890. The Tacoma Hotel dominates the skyline. The pilings in the foreground are probably the supports for the old Northern Pacific tracks that crossed the tideflats into Tacoma. Photo from "Northern Pacific Railroad Scenery" with photos by F. Jay Haynes (F. Jay Haynes Collection)

Commencement Bay (Wash.); Tacoma Hotel (Tacoma); Hotels--Tacoma--1890-1900; Pilings (Civil engineering)--Tacoma;

Results 1 to 30 of 236