Industries -- Brewing/Breweries

Taxonomy

Code

Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

Industries -- Brewing/Breweries

Industries -- Brewing/Breweries

Equivalent terms

Industries -- Brewing/Breweries

Associated terms

Industries -- Brewing/Breweries

179 Collections results for Industries -- Brewing/Breweries

179 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

D138619-2

ca. 1963. Studio display of bottled Hartz Western Style Pilsener beer. The six-pack was conveniently packaged in an open-end cardboard container. The customer would not have to bother with returning the used bottles as no deposit was taken at the time of purchase. Brewed by Tacoma's Silver Springs Brewing Co., each bottle contained 11 fluid ounces.


Beer--Tacoma;

D138619-1

ca. 1963. Studio display of Hartz Western Style Pilsener beer. Packaged in a convenient cardboard open-end container, the six-pack of canned beer was brewed by the Silver Springs Brewing Co. in Tacoma. Specifically targeting the western market, the cans and container are decorated with totem poles, deer, and tall fir trees.


Beer--Tacoma;

D140600-421

ca. 1964. 1964 stock footage. The Olympia Brewing Co. plant is reflected in the large pond on company grounds in 1964. Visitors were invited to tour the facility daily from 8:00 to 4:30 pm to see how beer was made. The Olympia Brewing Co. had a long history in the Tumwater area, just south of Olympia. It was owned and operated by the Leopold Schmidt family for nearly 100 years. The company slogan, "It's the water," was very well known in the Western states. The brewery received its cold, pure water from deep artesian wells.


Brewing industry--Olympia--1960-1970; Olympia Brewing Co. (Olympia); Reflections;

D140600-420

ca. 1964. 1964 Stock footage. Exterior of Olympia Brewing Co. facilities. Visitors were made welcome daily at the Olympia Brewing Co. plant in Tumwater, south of Olympia. The Olympia Brewing Co. grew out of the Capital Brewing Co. in 1902 at which time they chose the phrase "It's the Water" to describe why their beers tasted so good. The Leopold Schmidt family owned and operated the brewery from 1896 to 1983. The All-American Bottled Water Corp. purchased the brewery from the Miller Brewing Co. on April 2, 2004, and would concentrate on bottling water, not beer. TPL-9323


Brewing industry--Olympia--1960-1970; Olympia Brewing Co. (Olympia);

A105591-1

ca. 1957. Exterior of Heidelberg brewery. Smoke billows from Heidelberg's chimneys in a 1957 photograph. Formerly Columbia Breweries, the business had been located in Tacoma since 1900. Heidelberg continued Columbia's line of popular beers and ales and employed about 350 local residents. In 1959, the brewery was sold to Carling Brewing Co. who maintained the plant until 1979 when it closed permanently. Photograph ordered by Heidelberg Brewing Co.


Heidelberg Brewing Co. (Tacoma); Brewing industry--Tacoma--1950-1960;

D84148-3

Close-up display of beer bottles. Pilsener Beer was brewed locally with artesian water by the Silver Springs Brewing Co. View of two brands of Pilsener Beer, Oldstyle and Hartz. Both were advertised as "Extra pale". Pilsener was a light beer with a strong flavor of hops; its name probably came from the Czech city of Pilsen (Pizen). The Silver Springs Brewing Co. were located at 105 E. 26th St.; the 1954 City Directory listed Lyle L. Lane was secretary/manager. Photograph ordered by Condon Co., an advertising firm.


Beer--Tacoma; Brewing industry--Tacoma--1950-1960; Silver Springs Brewing Co. (Tacoma); Merchandise displays--Tacoma--1950-1960;

D84565-7

Exterior brewery. Large lettering on the Silver Springs Brewing Co.'s building proudly proclaimed it as the "Home of Oldstyle Pilsener Beer" in an August 18, 1954, photograph. The Silver Springs Brewing Co. was founded in Port Orchard in 1934 and moved to Tacoma in 1950. After moving to Tacoma and purchasing the site at 105 E. 26th St., former home to Northwest Brewing Co., they added a three-story bottling plant to the complex. They provided Heidelberg Brewing (Columbia Breweries) with competition for Northwest beer drinking tastes with their Oldstyle Pilsener, brewed with artesian water.


Brewing industry--Tacoma--1950-1960; Silver Springs Brewing Co. (Tacoma); Signs (Notices);

D84565-8

Exterior brewery. The Silver Springs Brewing Co., "Home of Oldstyle Pilsener Beer", competed with Heidelberg Brewing (Columbia Breweries) for a share of the Northwest market. Their Oldstyle Pilsener and Hartz brands were brewed with artesian water. View of exterior of Silver Springs brewery; railroad crossing sign indicated that there would be easy transport of the bottled products from the brewery to customers. Silver Springs had been in existence since 1934 and located in Tacoma since 1950. They continued to expand their sphere of operations for many years.


Brewing industry--Tacoma--1950-1960; Silver Springs Brewing Co. (Tacoma);

A84565-3

Allen Lehman, master brewer, and Neil Andrews, kettle man, employees of the Silver Springs Brewing Co. are possibly doing some product testing on August 23,1954. Enormous brew kettle #1 is in the picture's foreground; it could brew over 150 barrels in one-eight hour shift. The Silver Springs Brewing Co. was located at 105 E. 26th and managed by Lyle L. Lane. They were listed as brewers of Old Style Pilsener Beer in the 1954 City Directory. Photograph ordered by the Condon Co, advertising. (TNT 9-3-54, C-14) TPL-8590


Brewing industry--Tacoma--1950-1960; Silver Springs Brewing Co. (Tacoma); Lehman, Allen; Andrews, Neil; Kettles;

A84579-2

Exterior brewery. The Heidelberg Brewing Co. occupied most of the 2100 block of South C Street in the 1950's, with only the J.E. Bunker Co., dealers in bicycles, between its buildings. A sign on the receiving department's exterior indicates that a three-story cellar building was under construction; Heidelberg continued to grow along with Tacoma, expanding and rebuilding, tripling in size in seven years. It would also install in the summer of 1954 a second brewing line which doubled brewhouse capacity. The company, which had purchased Columbia Breweries in 1949, finally changed its name to Heidelberg in 1953. It was later purchased by Carling Brewery in 1959 and closed its doors twenty years later. The above photograph was taken on August 26, 1954. (TNT 9-16-54, C-16)


Brewing industry--Tacoma--1950-1960; Heidelberg Brewing Co. (Tacoma); Signs (Notices);

A84580-8

Night exposure Heidelberg brewery. The lighted buildings of the Heidelberg Brewing Co. appear as beacons in the night in an August 26, 1954, photograph. The company's name stands out in stark relief on the water tower and main facility. The photograph was taken from below the brewery's "C" Street location from the viewpoint of Chester Hauge's Hauge's Gateway Service at 25th & Pacific Avenue. Photograph ordered by Heidelberg Brewing Co.


Heidelberg Brewing Co. (Tacoma); Signs (Notices); Hauge's Gateway Service (Tacoma);

A84579-1

Long view exterior brewery. This photograph of the Heidelberg Brewing Co. was taken from down the street on August 26, 1954, and shows that the brewery's shipping & receiving department was apparently separated from the main buildings by the J.E. Bunker Co., a dealer in bicycles. Heidelberg had purchased the well-known Columbia Breweries in 1949 and changed its name formally in 1953. By 1954, it had tripled its size. The building between the bicycle store and the shipping department was the new three-story cellar building which was used for storage and fermentation. Costing $700,000, it had three floors full of storage tanks with enough beer to fill 45 million bottles. (TNT 9-3-54, C-16) TPL-6499


Brewing industry--Tacoma--1950-1960; Heidelberg Brewing Co. (Tacoma); Signs (Notices);

A85803-2

Operations at Heidelberg Brewing Co. were highly mechanized by the mid-1950's. A second brewing line was installed in the summer of 1954 which doubled the brewhouse capacity. Here a brewery employee keeps a careful eye on his large machine which appears to be in the bottling section. Photograph ordered by the Radio Corps. of America.


Machinery; Heidelberg Brewing Co. (Tacoma)--1950-1960; Brewing industry--Tacoma--1950-1960;

A85264-B

Exterior-Heidelberg Brewery. Taken from across busy Jefferson Avenue on May 15, 1957, the Heidelberg Shipping Depot can be spotted in the center of the photograph. Other Heidelberg buildings are to its left. Heidelberg was well known for its Columbia Ale and Heidelberg beer. The brewery was purchased by Carling Brewery in 1959 and closed its doors twenty years later.


Heidelberg Brewing Co. (Tacoma); Brewing industry--Tacoma--1950-1960;

A85264-8

An elevated view of downtown Tacoma was taken from the top of a hillside, looking northward, on May 15, 1957. Heidelberg Brewing Co. had requested several photographs of its plants from different viewpoints in the city. The brewery can barely be seen toward the center of the picture. Busy Pacific Avenue is a few streets in front of Heidelberg, Hunt & Mottet and the F.S. Harmon Mfg. Co. buildings are visible.


Heidelberg Brewing Co. (Tacoma);

A85264-3

Exterior-Heidelberg Brewery. This May 15, 1957, photograph taken diagonally from across "C" Street shows the main buildings of the Heidelberg Brewing Co. The brewery had undergone much expansion in the past few years and now occupied most of the 2100 block of South "C". Their bottled Columbia Ale and Heidelberg beer were still very popular and the brewery continued to provide employment for many local residents.


Heidelberg Brewing Co. (Tacoma); Brewing industry--Tacoma--1950-1960;

A85264-A

Exterior-Heidelberg Brewery. The Heidelberg Shipping Depot was located at S. 21st and Jefferson within sight of the lettered water tower and other parts of the brewery. A large delivery truck is parked outside the entry to the depot. Heidelberg had purchased Columbia Breweries in 1949 but waited until July, 1953, to change its name. Two years after this May 15, 1957, photograph was taken, the brewing company would be acquired by Carling Brewery. Photograph ordered by Heidelberg Brewing Co. TPL-5511


Heidelberg Brewing Co. (Tacoma); Brewing industry--Tacoma--1950-1960;

C87485-72

ca. 1900. Columbia Breweries remained proud of their beginnings in 1900 when Emil Kliese, William Kiltz and John Smith incorporated the Columbia Brewing Company. This photograph of the entire staff of the brewery in 1900 was used in several newspaper stories during the 1940's and 1950's when the company announced new additions to the brewery. Seated in the front are, L-R, William Kiltz, sales manager, and Emile Kliese, president and brew master. The five men in the back are not identified. Copies of old prints ordered by Heidelberg Brewing Company in December 1954. TPL-9625


Brewing industry--Tacoma--1900-1910; Columbia Brewing Co. (Tacoma); Columbia Brewing Co. (Tacoma)--People; Kiltz, William; Kliese, Emile;

C87485-56

ca. 1900. An emblem of Columbia Brewing Company's trademark, a large circle with an ornament at the top, shows a female figure holding a sheaf of barley in one hand and a glass of beer extended above her head in the other. A bald eagle behind her grasps barley and hops in his claws and a barrel with the initials CB Co. on the end is beside her. Mountains rise in the background. Drawings of barley and hops also wreathe the banner around the circle of stars completing the design. The name "Dawes, P'gh, Pa." appears at the bottom of the emblem. Copies of old prints ordered by Heidelberg Brewing Company in December 1954. TPL-6695


Brewing industry--Tacoma--1900-1910; Columbia Brewing Co. (Tacoma); Trademarks;

C87485-66

ca. 1917. A print of a photograph of the Columbia Brewing Company as it appeared in 1917 has been outlined, the date added and measurements written on the left and bottom margins, possibly for use in an advertisement. Stamps have been affixed to the back of the mock-up for Sterling Engraving Company at 1417 Fourth Avenue Building and How. J. Ryan & Son, R Advertising in the Joseph Vance Building, Seattle, Wash. Copies of old prints ordered by Heidelberg Brewing Company in December 1954.


Brewing industry--Tacoma--1910-1920; Columbia Brewing Co. (Tacoma);

C87485-22

ca. 1908. Emile Kliese, in a dark beard, and another man stand in the offices of Columbia Brewing Company by their tall desks. Emile Kliese was the German-born brewmaster who, with two other men, William C. Kiltz and John Smith, filled for articles of incorporation in 1900 "to brew and sell at wholesale and retail beer and other malt beverages" at a company to be known as "the Columbia Brewing Company". Emile Kliese was the first president and brewmaster of the Columbia Brewing Company from 1900 to 1916. Copies of old prints ordered by Heidelberg Brewing Company. (TNT, 10/6/1951, p.A-3)


Brewing industry--Tacoma--1900-1910; Columbia Brewing Co. (Tacoma); Kliese, Emile; Offices--Tacoma--1900-1910; Columbia Brewing Co. (Tacoma)--People;

C87485-3

ca. 1937. One of the chemists at Columbia Breweries is placing test tubes of samples in an autoclave to continue testing the beers and ales brewed at Columbia Breweries. Copies of old prints ordered by Heidelberg Brewing Company in December 1954. The photographer's name in the lower right shows, "Associated Photographic Service, Inc., Tacoma".


Brewing industry--Tacoma--1930-1940; Columbia Breweries, Inc. (Tacoma)--1930-1940; Chemistry--Tacoma; Scientists--Tacoma; Scientific equipment--Tacoma;

C87485-59

ca. 1937. A new copper brew kettle is being installed on top of several legs at Columbia Breweries. The brew kettle was located between two floors - the structure for the floor has not yet been built. Employees could add the ingredients for a "brew", barley malt, hops, and water, on the upper level through the sliding doors seen just above the rim near the top of the kettle. Dismantling of the kettle in 1953 can be seen in photograph D76,717-4. Copies of old prints ordered by Heidelberg Brewing Company in December 1954. TPL-8854


Brewing industry--Tacoma--1930-1940; Columbia Breweries, Inc. (Tacoma)--1930-1940; Kettles;

C87485-16

ca. 1948. A scale model of Columbia Breweries plant as it was planned in 1948. An expansion was announced in 1948 that called for a 2-story unit for a new bottle shop, bottle storage, cellars, and a steam plant. A second unit was to warehouse case goods and a new receiving and shipping depot on property to the rear on Jefferson Avenue that had been acquired in 1948. Copies of old prints ordered by Heidelberg Brewing Company. The photographer's name in the lower right shows, "Associated Photographic Service, 714 Market Street, Tacoma".


Brewing industry--Tacoma--1940-1950; Columbia Breweries, Inc. (Tacoma)--1940-1950; Architectural models;

C87485-28

ca. 1949. A view of the bottling line at Columbia Breweries where three men are maintaining quality control over the bottling operations. The two men on the left are viewing the filled bottles of beer for any impurities or imperfections. The man on the right is assuring that the machinery continues to run smoothly. Copies of old prints ordered by Heidelberg Brewing Company in December 1954. The photographer's name in the lower right shows, "Associated Photographic Service, 714 Market Street, Tacoma". TPL-7955


Brewing industry--Tacoma--1940-1950; Columbia Breweries, Inc. (Tacoma)--1940-1950; Bottles;

Results 1 to 30 of 179