Print preview Close

Showing 85876 results

Collections
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

48574 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Tacoma Ministerial Alliance Records

  • 3.7.2
  • 1883-1912

Includes meeting minutes, correspondence, programs, governing documents, and other materials related to the operations of the Tacoma Ministerial Alliance.

Tacoma Ministerial Alliance

Tacoma City Council Resolutions

  • 1.1.1
  • 1884-1985

Includes Tacoma City Council Resolutions and supporting documentation. Resolutions are non-binding statements made by the Tacoma City Council. They are formal expressions of a particular position that are endorsed and signed by the mayor. Though resolutions are not a law, they are a formal declaration of support from the City Council.

Also includes bound resolution duplicates in Box 221-230. Missing resolutions: 15400, 15854-15859, 16489-16490, 17484, 19899, 20590-20618, 22644-22649, 22900-22999, 23450, 24850.
Includes bound duplicate copies

Tacoma City Council

View of the City of Tacoma, W.T., Puget Sound, County Seat of Pierce Cty., Pacific Terminus of the NPRR, 1884

Madison, Wis. : J. J. Stoner; Ithica, N.Y. : Historic Urban Plans
1 map; 31 x 83 cm. Bird's-eye view. Perspective map not drawn to scale. Oriented with North to lower right. Includes key to points of interest. "Reproduced ... from an engraving in the Library of Congress." Includes inset of "Mount Tacoma, 14,444 ft. high." "Beck & Pauli, Litho., Milwaukee, Wis."

Central School

This is the original Central School, built in 1883 for $18,000 and located at 1114 S Altheimer (then S G St), now the area of Bates Technical College. It was modeled after the Euclid Avenue School of Cleveland, Ohio, by architect Joseph Sherwin of Portland. It stood out along the Tacoma skyline with its 90-foot bell tower visible for miles. The school contained twelve rooms and was considered a showplace for the city. Rapid growth made the enrollment climb to 964 by 1886, taught by a staff of 18 teachers. Remodeling and additions to the school occurred before the school moved its 1000 elementary students to a new Central School located at So. 8th & Tacoma Ave. So. in 1913. The new Central School cost $165,000, almost ten times the cost of the original school. The old Central School was demolished in 1914 and served as a hobo shelter for a few months prior to its demolition. (Olsen: For the Record, p. 47-48-various photographs) King 009, TPL 1103.


Back of photo:
Central school, S.W. corner of S.W. and G. St now the Bates Vocational School Tacoma, Wash.

Northern Pacific Railroad track along Commencement Bay, Tacoma, Washington Territory

Northern Pacific Railroad track along Commencement Bay, Tacoma, Washington Territory, circa 1885. Mt. Tacoma (Rainier) and tideflats in background. The railroad tracks were built on fill dirt. The water-filled half-moon section would also be filled in to become the railroad yard, called appropriately the "half-moon yard." KING-008, G76.1-101 (Digital copy only. No print or negative available).

Tacoma Police Department Records

  • 1.3.1
  • 1885 - 1985

Includes scrapbooks, notices, city council documents related to police misconduct, and a departmental manual from 1891. Also included are annual and monthly reports and crime scene reporters notebooks.

Tacoma Police Department

C. E. and Hattie King Photographs

  • 2.1.4
  • 1885

Includes 14 photographs of Tacoma taken c. 1886-1900 by C. E. and Hattie King of Commencement Bay, Northern Pacific railroad tracks, local schools, and members of the Puyallup and other area tribes.

C.E. and Hattie King

Boats at Northern Pacific dock with Blackwell Hotel, Tacoma, Washington Territory, circa 1885

Boats at Northern Pacific dock, Tacoma, Washington Territory, circa 1885. The owners of the warehouse in the center of photograph were not identified. The large building to the far left is the Blackwell Hotel, considered New Tacoma's first hotel. Built by the Northern Pacific Railroad, it opened on January 1, 1874 and closed in 1884. It was razed during the summer of 1901. KING-002, TPL-1095

Members of Puyallup Tribe playing game on shores of Puget Sound

In this photograph believed to be from the mid 1880s, a group of Puyallup Indians gathers on the shore of the Puget Sound to gamble. The game they are playing appears to be the bone game, where two teams of 10-12 sit opposite each other. One team has four bones which they pass to the distracting accompaniment of the pounding of sticks and singing of chants. The other team must guess who has the bones. In the background are longboats and a bridge. The Puyallup village during this time period was believed to be at the foot of South 15th St. KING-003, TPL 2897.

Old Coal Bunkers at Tacoma, W.T.

Three-masted ship "Eldorado" at old coal bunkers, Tacoma, Washington Territory, circa 1885. These are believed to be the Northern Pacific coal bunkers projecting into Commencement bay that were completed in 1882 at a cost of $250,000 and considered at that time to be the most modern of their type on the North Pacific Coast. Ships like the "Eldorado" were a common sight waiting to take on loads of coal. (Hunt, "The Coal Bunkers," History of Tacoma) KING006, TPL 1076

Tacoma Alert Hose Company No. 2 volunteer firefighting company

Tacoma's Alert Hose Co. No. 2 volunteer firefighting company, in uniform, were photographed on August 8, 1885 as they prepared to join the funeral parade to be held that day for former President Ulysses S. Grant. President Grant's portrait is framed in black and placed aboard the company hose wagon. He had died on July 23, 1885, and the Territorial Governor of Washington had declared that the day of his funeral would be an official day of mourning. The firehouse was located at So. 13th & A Street, which was later the location of the Tacoma Railroad & Power substation. Alert Hose Co. No. 2 was probably one of four hose companies organized between March and August, 1885. The company's hose apparatus may have been built by the volunteers themselves. Adelbert Uriah Mills, center in black beard holding bouquet, was the captain and would later become the Commissioner of Public Safety. A partial list of firefighters' names appears in a Tacoma Daily Ledger article on March 9, 1913. (Talbot: 100 Years of Fire fighting in the City of Destiny Tacoma, Washington, p. 15, TDL 3-9-1913, p. 45) KING-013, TPL 2896.

View looking south of the Northern Pacific Railroad track along Commencement Bay, Tacoma, Washington Territory, circa 1885

View looking south of the Northern Pacific Railroad track along Commencement Bay, Tacoma, Washington Territory, circa 1885. Sidewheeler steamship North Pacific at dock. The Northern Pacific wharf lay below today's Stadium Way and would serve, according to historian Murray Morgan, as a "third world between Old Tacoma and New Tacoma." (Morgan: South on the Sound, p. 48-49) KING-001, TPL-018.

968-1

On November 3, 1885, fueled by racism and fear, this "Committee of 27" led a mob that forced the Chinese population of Tacoma onto trains for Portland, looted their homes and then burned them to the ground. Far from being an anonymous group, the Committee included Tacoma mayor Jacob Robert Weisbach (seated at center, full beard), as well as the sheriff, a city councilman and a judge. They had the support of the local newspaper and most of Tacoma's citizenry who blamed the Chinese for Tacoma's economic recession. The "Committee" was brought to trial for their actions, but the charges were dropped and the group declared heroes. Their actions became known throughout the country as the "Tacoma Method" for dealing with the "Chinese problem." In 1993, the Tacoma City Council formally apologized for the Committee's actions. (original photo by photographer "Jackson" copied for the Tacoma Times in 1935) (historylink.org) TPL-9638


Deportations--Tacoma--1880-1890; Exiles--Chinese--Tacoma;

Puyallup with longboats on shore of Puget Sound

A group of Puyallup Indians with their longboats (canoes) on the Puget Sound around 1886. Behind them can be seen the Northern Pacific Railroad bridge. The Puyallups were primarily fishermen, hunters and gatherers. The local salmon provided their primary food source, but was also a symbol of reverence to the tribe. In the Medicine Creek Treaty of 1854, they ceded many of their territories but retained their fishing rights. Their village at this time was believed to be at the foot of North 15th. KING-014, TPL 2895.

Annie Wright Seminary, Tacoma, W.T.

This is the original Annie Wright Seminary designed by architects Boone & Meeker as it appeared circa 1886. The private school for girls opened two years before in September of 1884, thanks to its benefactor, Charles B. Wright. The building's foundation came from Wilkeson stone and brick. Its sharp gables and turrets added to the impressive ediface. A gymnasium was added in 1899 and was the sole remaining building left when the school was razed in 1924. Due to growing enrollment, a new campus arose at 827 Tacoma Ave. N. the same year.

Washington College, Tacoma, W.T.

Finishing touches were being put on the newly built Washington College building at 714 Tacoma Ave. So. Thanks to the generosity of Charles B. Wright, money had been donated to start the private school for boys, the male equivalent of Annie Wright Seminary. It opened on September 2, 1886, with an enrollment of 65 boys, half of them day students. The Depression of 1892-93 forced many students to leave and the school closed in 1892. This building later served as the Tacoma High School from 1898 to 1906 when the high school moved to the remodeled Tourist Hotel at N. 1st & E Streets. It was later demolished in the summer of 1912 to make way for the new Central School Building and the site address changed to 601 So. 8th St.

Family in longboat docked near shore

In this circa 1886 photograph, a Native American family lounges in their long boat near the shore. In the background can be seen the Northern Pacific Railroad bridge. The canoe is loaded with supplies, probably returning or setting off for the family's hunting ground. The Puyallup tribe members were primarily hunters, gatherers and fishermen. During this time period, their village was believed to be located at the foot of North 15th. KING-015, TPL 2894.

Auburn--General - 7

Back of Photo:
Portway's Store about 1886 or 1887. Purchased from L.W.B., the first business building in what is now Auburn. Building later renamed and known as Star Hotel.

C52158-11

ca. 1887. Copy exposure of historical print. This copy of a historical print shows a view of Tacoma from the tideflats just south of "The Boot" circa 1887. In the distance near left is the (first) Central School with tower, located at South 11th & "G" Sts. The imposing Tacoma Hotel, 913 A Street, is at the far right. Pilings indicate the area that must be filled so that railroad tracks and warehouses could eventually be built. The future site of the City Waterway (now Foss Waterway) lies beyond the fallen timber and tree stumps. Copy made August 31, 1950.


Cityscapes; Central School (Tacoma); Tacoma Hotel (Tacoma); Tree stumps--Tacoma;

C52158-3

ca. 1887. This view of Pacific Avenue, looking north from 10th, was taken in 1887. Horse drawn carriages and wagons fill the unpaved street. The Fife Hotel, 742-50 Pacific Avenue (at left background), was still under construction with scaffolding visible. The building at 930 Pacific Ave. was home to the Tacoma News. The News and The Daily Ledger, both founded in 1883, were the two biggest newspapers in Tacoma at this time. The Ledger was a morning paper; The News was an evening paper. Some years later, both papers were bought by Sidney A. Perkins. Ultimately, they were taken over by The News Tribune. Copy made August 31, 1950. (TPL-2297 and TPL-8147)


Commercial streets--Tacoma--1880-1890; Carts & wagons--Tacoma; The News (Tacoma); Newspapers--Tacoma--1880-1890; Fife Hotel (Tacoma); Hotels--Tacoma--1880-1890; Building construction--Tacoma--1880-1890;

Map Showing Land Grant of the Northern Pacific Railroad Co. in Western Washington and Northern Oregon, 1887

Buffalo, N.Y. : Matthews, Northrup & Co., 1887.
1 map; 78 x 80 cm. Damaged and taped, mounted on linen backing. Shows drainage, railroads, county boundaries, townships, sections and quarter sections, railroad lands sold and unsold, government lands, school sections, etc. Inset: map showing "Northern Pacific Railroad, Oregon R. W. & navigation and Oregon & California Co. S. Systems". Relief shown by hachures and spot heights. "Scale 6 miles to one inch" (1:380,160)

Royal Gove Papers

  • 6.1.2
  • 1888 - 1920

Includes pamphlets collected by Royal Gove during his public service career, with information about the activities of various clubs, businesses, city departments, and other organizations in Tacoma between 1890 and 1920. Also included are photos of family and friends, including a photo album showing prominent Tacoma residents William B. and Alice Blackwell, with interior views of the Blackwell House at 401 Broadway.

Royal Gove

C52158-5

ca. 1888. Copy exposure of historical negative. Taken approximately around 1888, this viewpoint of Tacoma shows a rapidly growing city. Fallen trees and stumps in the foreground seem to indicate more development will be occurring. Pacific Avenue is at the far right with many buildings already constructed. There are a few buildings perched at the edge of the deep ravine known as Galliher's Gulch. The structures near the photograph's center would eventually make up the city's brewery district. The Northern Pacific Railroad would aid in the growth of the brewery district by running a spur track from the waterfront to the area. Near left center is the multi-storied Pacific Brewing & Malting Co. Malt House. Within ten years of this photograph, Pacific Brewing & Malting was advertising itself as "one of the most complete brewing and malting plants on the Pacific Coast." Copy made August 31, 1950.


Cityscapes; Commercial streets--Tacoma--1880-1890; Tree stumps--Tacoma; Canyons--Tacoma; Pacific Brewing & Malting Co. (Tacoma); Brewing industry--Tacoma--1880-1890;

Results 31 to 60 of 85876