Showing 1878 results

Collections
Image
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

1878 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Central School

This is the original Central School, built in 1883 for $18,000 and located at 1114 S Altheimer (then S G St), now the area of Bates Technical College. It was modeled after the Euclid Avenue School of Cleveland, Ohio, by architect Joseph Sherwin of Portland. It stood out along the Tacoma skyline with its 90-foot bell tower visible for miles. The school contained twelve rooms and was considered a showplace for the city. Rapid growth made the enrollment climb to 964 by 1886, taught by a staff of 18 teachers. Remodeling and additions to the school occurred before the school moved its 1000 elementary students to a new Central School located at So. 8th & Tacoma Ave. So. in 1913. The new Central School cost $165,000, almost ten times the cost of the original school. The old Central School was demolished in 1914 and served as a hobo shelter for a few months prior to its demolition. (Olsen: For the Record, p. 47-48-various photographs) King 009, TPL 1103.


Back of photo:
Central school, S.W. corner of S.W. and G. St now the Bates Vocational School Tacoma, Wash.

Black Collective - 1

Back of Photo:
Seattle Mayor-elect Norm Rice, foreground left, and Tacoma Mayor-elect Karen Vialle, foreground right, answer questions and thank the black collective for the support the group has given both Rice and Vialle. The two Mayor-elects met with the Black Collective Saturday morning at 2316 S. Yakima. (12-2-89 photo by David Brandt)
Pierce & S. King County

Demonstrations 1975 thru 1980 - 1

Back of Photo:
Demonstrations


Two protestors in warm clothing stand in the center of the photograph, holding signs that read "Chunksa Yuha Is Not Our Messanger," and "Hell No Hanta Yo Is Not Our "Roots."" The signs are in protest of a TV movie from 1984 called "The Mystic Warrior," based off the 1979 novel "Hanta Yo" by Ruth Beebe Hill. Both fictions covered the histories of the Oglala Lakota Sioux, but the author was accused by many Indigenous historians and activists of falsely portraying Indigenous Americans for personal gain (The Mystic Warrior IMDb).

Freeway--Tacoma Area (Tacoma--Freeway) 1967 and Prior - 1

Back of Photo:
Freeway Dedication Site
Road-opening ceremonies, featuring a military review of America's latest Field Artillery rocketry, will be conducted on Wednesday, October 13 for the new 13.5 mile, $15 million Tacoma-Midway Freeway. Site of the ceremonies is the Auburn Interchange shown in the attached photograph. The Field Artillery units, part of the 4th Infantry Division Artillery from Fort Lewis, will assemble in the northbound lanes (marked "D" in the picture) beginning at 10:00 a.m. Visitors and spectators wishing to view the ceremonies will be permitted to park on the roadway in the areas designated "B" (southbound from Seattle) and "C" (northbound from Tacoma). Route of the military parade is shown as a series of arrows, starting at the assembly area and passing through the cloverleaf interchange from the northbound lanes onto the southbound lanes and past the reviewing stand.

Immigration and Emigration - 1

Back of Photo:
Theatrical Group, Order of Vasa, ca. 1912, Tacoma
Photograph courtesy of the Vasa Lodge Norden, Tacoma

From In the Footsteps of Nicholas Delin: the Swedish Presence in Pierce County, a photography exhibition tracing the world of Swedish and Swedish-Finnish immigrants in Pierce County from 1887 - 1930, opening Thursday, December 14, 1995 at the Tacoma Public Library's Handforth Gallery (Main Library, 1102 Tacoma Avenue South in downtown Tacoma).

Last Chance Shelter - 1

Back of Photo:
Scores of men and a couple of women line up, with bags and packs, to gain admission to the Last Chance Shelter on Commerce St. The line often starts forming at 4 o'clock, with the door opening at 6:30.
Photo by Peter Haley

Restaurants and Nightclubs (Taverns)(Bars)(Nightclubs) - 1

Back of Photo:
Lyle Swenson in his Autorest Cafe in Cle Elum

CLE ELUM--The Autorest Cafe, known to travelers for its pastry and a back bar that came 'round Cape Horn, will change ownership on Sept. 15 after being in the same family since 1918.
Many cross-state travelers have stopped at the venerable place, operated for the past 30 years by Lois and Lyle Swenson of Cle Elum. They have sold the restaurant to Ron and Donna Voight of the Tacoma area. Voight has been with Safeway.
The massive back bar of dark, Honduras mahogany is the dominant piece. Visitors who sat at the counter and saw themselves in the bar's broad mirrors wouldn't know its history unless they read the sign.
Hand-carved and built in Alabama in 1897 by the Brunswick-Balke-Collender Co., the bar was shipped around Cape Horn to Seattle, where it embellished the old Mecca Saloon on First Avenue in 1915. The bar was moved and installed in the Autorest Cafe, Cle Elum, in 1918.

Results 121 to 140 of 1878