Printed on cover: "Official Jubilee Song Dedicated to Uncle Sam's Boys". Words and Music by Edward Benedict: Organist Rialto Theatre. Part of the Northwest Peace Jubilee June 30th - July 7th, 1919. 2 copies
Printed on cover: "For the Purpose of Idealizing Northwest Scenery". Composed by Jas. Hamilton Howe, Mus.B Op. 50 for Pianoforte, Voice and Orchestra. Illustrated with Half-tones of Washington Scenery. Published by Dragon Publishing Co., Seattle. Copyright 1922.
Printed on cover: "As sung by a thousand voices at dedication of Tacoma's great Stadium." Words by Carolyn Shaw Rice. Music by Ophelia Baker Opie. Published by C.S. Rice, Tacoma, Washington. Copyright 1910 by C.S. Rice.
Words by William Shallcross. Music by Ada E. Nielsen. "Century 21 Seattle Fair - 1962". Published by Nielsen & Shallcross, 1405 Hancock St., Bellevue, Nebraska. Copyright 1962 by Shallcross and Nielsen.
"Traditional and Contemporary Songs of the Northwest Collected and Edited by Linda Allen". Published by the Whatcom Museum of History and Art, 121 Prospect Street, Bellingham, Washington, 98225. Printed in Bellingham, Washington by Fairhaven Communications. Copyright 1978 by the Whatcom Museum of History and Art.
Music book for "High Voice and Piano". A "Companion Anthology to the 2-disc Album 'Northwest Composers 1 FMR 1004". Published by Florence Mesler Recordings. Copyright 1973, Florence Mesler Recordings, Seattle, Washington.
By Ivar Haglund and George Frederick McKay. Printed on cover: "... Being Mostly a Collection of Fanciful Fables About Fish Well Salted in Song and Story". Songs include "Run, Clam, Run!", "All Hail to the Halibut," "The Scallop Song" and "Puget Sound". Copyright 1953, Haglund. Includes pages on Ivar Haglund's history and how the songs were written.
Undated photograph of the Matrons Club. The woman seated front left is Helen Beck Stafford, one of the founders of the group. Dr. Stafford moved to Tacoma in 1926 to marry Wendell P. Stafford on New Years Eve. Even though she had taught for a few years in Kansas schools, Tacoma school personnel directors refused to hire a black teacher. She stayed at home and cared for her husband and daughter. She and several other women who stayed home to rear their children would get together for a social outlet. In 1927, they formally organized the Matrons Club. The women who attended the meetings often brought their children along and the children would play together. (TNT 2/22/1982- NWR clipping file) (photograph by Liberal Engraving Co., 907 1/2 Commerce)
ca. 1946. One of the functions of the United Service Organizations (USO) was to create a welcoming atmosphere for servicemen and women away from home, especially during the holidays. From the look of the guests' hats and leis, the social event in this undated photograph was held during the holidays in the main hall of the USO #2, 713-15 Commerce St. The military was still segregated during World War II, so USO #2 was provided for the entertainment of African American soldiers.
Volunteers of USO No. 2 shown in this undated World War II era photograph include community activist Helen Stafford, second from right. USO No. 2 opened at 713 Commerce Street in September 1942 to serve Tacoma's African American servicemen and closed in March 1947. This location also served servicemen during World War I as the Army-Navy Club. TPL-5977