Print preview Close

Showing 36667 results

Collections
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

8624 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Byrd Family Papers

  • 6.2.2
  • 1804 - 1934

Includes diaries, legal documents, photographs, and artifacts related to the Byrd family who arrived in the Puget Sound region from Illinois in 1853.

Byrd Family

Map of Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and Part of Montana, 1860

Philadelphia : S. A. Mitchell, Jr.
1 map : hand col. ; 27 x 34 cm. Relief shown by hachures. Shows counties, cities, railroads, routes of wagon trails, and rivers. Scale ca. 1:4,435,000. Lower right: 50. Decorative border. Dated 1860 in bottom margin, but some question whether that might be the date of the original copyright of the base map.

Johnson's Washington and Oregon, 1863

New York: Johnson and Ward
1 map : hand col. ; 32 x 40 cm. Relief shown by hachures. Shows counties, cities, locations of native American tribal groups, and proposed railroad. Scale ca. 1:3,500,000 On verso: portion of "Historical and Statistical View of the United States, 1860", tables for Vermont, Virginia and Washington. In lower right margin: 57. Decorative border. Oregon counties Jackson and Josephine have been interchanged.

J. W. Roberts Papers

  • 6.1.3
  • 1868-1914

Includes correspondence, journals, financial papers, legal papers, printed materials and ephemera, photos and maps. Correspondence consists of both personal and business-related letters (1873-1911). Journal entries provide twenty-two years worth of short accounts of daily farm life, and occasionally mention other early Steilacoom pioneers (1868-1912). Financial papers include tax receipts (1866-1930), handwritten and printed receipts (1861-1931), a checkbook (1861-1862), and small account books recording work, expenses, and brief journal entries (1862-1910). Legal documents include land contracts and descriptions, and court documents relating to the estate of J.W. Roberts (1911-1915). Printed materials and ephemera include a variety of items such as business cards, pamphlets, and menus (undated), and newspaper clippings (1895, 1913-1914). A small series of photos are mostly undated and unidentified. There are also two undated handwritten maps of the Spanaway area.

J. W. Roberts

Tacoma Daily News

  • 5.2.1
  • 1883 - 1885

Early Tacoma newspaper with local and regional news, editorials, and advertisements.

Tacoma City Council Resolutions

  • 1.1.1
  • 1884-1985

Includes Tacoma City Council Resolutions and supporting documentation. Resolutions are non-binding statements made by the Tacoma City Council. They are formal expressions of a particular position that are endorsed and signed by the Mayor. Though resolutions are not a law, they are a formal declaration of support from the City Council.

Tacoma City Council

View of the City of Tacoma, W.T., Puget Sound, County Seat of Pierce Cty., Pacific Terminus of the NPRR, 1884

Madison, Wis. : J. J. Stoner; Ithica, N.Y. : Historic Urban Plans
1 map; 31 x 83 cm. Bird's-eye view. Perspective map not drawn to scale. Oriented with North to lower right. Includes key to points of interest. "Reproduced ... from an engraving in the Library of Congress." Includes inset of "Mount Tacoma, 14,444 ft. high." "Beck & Pauli, Litho., Milwaukee, Wis."

Central School

This is the original Central School, built in 1883 for $18,000 and located at 1114 S Altheimer (then S G St), now the area of Bates Technical College. It was modeled after the Euclid Avenue School of Cleveland, Ohio, by architect Joseph Sherwin of Portland. It stood out along the Tacoma skyline with its 90-foot bell tower visible for miles. The school contained twelve rooms and was considered a showplace for the city. Rapid growth made the enrollment climb to 964 by 1886, taught by a staff of 18 teachers. Remodeling and additions to the school occurred before the school moved its 1000 elementary students to a new Central School located at So. 8th & Tacoma Ave. So. in 1913. The new Central School cost $165,000, almost ten times the cost of the original school. The old Central School was demolished in 1914 and served as a hobo shelter for a few months prior to its demolition. (Olsen: For the Record, p. 47-48-various photographs) King 009, TPL 1103.


Back of photo:
Central school, S.W. corner of S.W. and G. St now the Bates Vocational School Tacoma, Wash.

Tacoma Police Department Records

  • 1.3.1
  • 1885 - 1985

Includes scrapbooks, notices, city council documents related to police misconduct, and a departmental manual from 1891.

Tacoma Police Department

Results 1 to 20 of 36667