Print preview Close

Showing 15 results

Advanced search options
Print preview View:

14 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Talmud Torah Synagogue

Twelve technical drawings for the Talmud Torah Synagogue, created by Hill & Mock on December 8, 1924. The structure, originally named Chevra Talmud Torah, was located at S 4th and I street, facing towards Wright Park. The synagogue was renamed the Sinai Temple in 1947 and a merging of congregations in the 1960s led to the creation of a new synagogue, the Temple Beth El, in 1968. The structure was donated to the Tacoma Blood Bank before being demolished in the 1970s.

Irwin (sometimes Irwyn) Horatio Hill was born in Illinois and graduated from the University of Illinois and Chicago Art Institute. After moving to Tacoma in 1903, Hill partnered with George Bullard, then Woodroofe and Griffin, then Hill, Mock & Griffin and finally Mock & Morrison. Hill was a member of the Tacoma Park Board and the Tacoma Rotary Club.

Ernest Thornton Mock is one of the few other architects in this collection that were born in Tacoma. Mock apprenticed for twelve years under Bullard & Russell before partnering with Irwin H. Hill and Jack Griffin in 1918. When Griffin left to pursue contracts in Lewis County, he was replaced by Nelson J. Morrison and shared a space in the Perkins Building. Mock's death in 1950 inspired the 88th annual reunion of the Scottish Rite Masons in Tacoma, to honor his 25 years of service.


ca. 1931. Talmud Torah Synagogue, 901 So. 4th, Tacoma. Architects Hill & Mock designed this "Romanesque Italian Renaissance" structure, which was constructed in 1925. It was renamed Sinai Temple in 1947. In 1960, Talmud Torah merged with the reformists at Temple Beth Israel. Rabbi Richard Rosenthal was elected to lead the combined congregations. They built a new synagogue, Temple Beth El, at 5975 So. 12th St. Talmud Torah was sold in 1968 to the Tacoma Blood Bank. It was later demolished and its site used as a parking lot for Tacoma General Hospital. Bowen # CHU-025