Print preview Close

Showing 216910 results

Collections
Print preview View:

76163 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

D140547-46

Exterior of bank. The above photograph, taken on January 4, 1964, is believed to be the National Bank of Washington branch at McChord Air Force Base managed by John Helm. The National Bank of Washington had 14 branches in the Tacoma area, including Fort Lewis and McChord. The modern branch had wall-to-wall glass windows and a convenient night deposit drop near the main entrance. The McChord branch at 550 A St. was officially opened on October 25, 1963, when Chairman Goodwin Chase and base commander Co. Kenneth Glassburn cut a dollar-bedecked ribbon.


National Bank of Washington (McChord); Banks--McChord;

D140796-14C

Color display of screens. This plain white 3-part folding screen was on display at Schoenfeld's in February, 1964. The towering screen was framed in light wood and would serve to provide a sense of privacy and separation to its owners. Folding screens, particularly the 3-piece variety, had become popular once more in the early 1960's. Photograph ordered by BC Sales Corp.


Screens--Tacoma; Showrooms--Tacoma--1960-1970;

D140796-16C

Color display of screens. Screens served as room dividers and to sometimes shorten an elongated space. This was just one of several 3-piece screens from BC Sales Corp. on display at Schoenfeld's in downtown Tacoma on February 18, 1964. Unlike D140796-14C and D140796-15C, this screen did not appear easily movable. Brass poles fastened the screen to the ceiling and the floor and the screen was shorter in height than other folding kinds. Photograph ordered by BC Sales Corp.


Screens--Tacoma; Showrooms--Tacoma--1960-1970;

A140771-2

Pipe organ at University of Puget Sound. Organ and piano pictured above on February 3, 1964, were located in the university's conservatory of music which was built in 1953. The new two-manual pipe organ had recently been installed in the recital hall. The console is just below the stage apron and the boxed pipes are mounted against the back wall of the stage. The organ would be dedicated on February 13, 1964, in memory of the late Ella France Donovan of Tacoma. Dr. R. Franklin Thompson, school president, would accept the organ on behalf of the university. (TNT 2-9-64, D-12)


Organs; Pianos; University of Puget Sound (Tacoma)--1960-1970;

A140106-1

A pre-finished oak panel rests on a large oak stump in a rural Lakewood setting in November, 1963. A wire fence separates the stump and panel from the pasture below. Photograph ordered by Cole & Weber Advertising.


Tree stumps--Lakewood; Fences--Lakewood;

D142189-8

Aerial photograph requested by Puget Sound National Bank and taken in July, 1964, of the Tacoma tideflats area and Port of Tacoma and surrounding neighborhoods. Looking in a northwesterly direction, Gig Harbor and the Peninsula are at the top. Widely channelized Puyallup River is in the center. I-5 freeway runs from the center to the right side of the photograph.


Aerial photographs; Puyallup River (Wash.); Express highways--Tacoma--1960-1970;

D141825-18R

Passengers deplaning. Passengers stroll away from the Western Airlines Boeing 720B Fan/Jet that has brought them to Sea-Tac Airport in May, 1964. They appear to be primarily businessmen with briefcases and one military officer. Passengers took air travel more seriously in the 1960's and were not as casually dressed as those travelers today. Note that they were photographed walking to the airport buildings; no connecting ramps in place. Photograph ordered by Cole & Weber Advertising.


Arrivals & departures--SeaTac--1960-1970; Airports--SeaTac; Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SeaTac); Passengers--SeaTac; Walking--SeaTac; Airplanes--SeaTac;

D141760-53

Dick Lewis Pontiac-Cadillac, Olympia, detailed view of A-framed showroom taken on May 21, 1964. Naturalistic landscaping, gluelam beams anchored in water feature, Cadillac in window, abstract mural and service wing in background. Photograph ordered by the Weyerhaeuser Co.


Automobile dealerships--Olympia--1960-1970; Automobiles--Olympia--1960-1970; Dick Lewis Pontiac-Cadillac (Olympia);

D141760-1

Dick Lewis Pontiac-Cadillac agency, Olympia, Washington. 1964 Pontiac Catalina parked under wooden carport type roof, A-frame structure in background is believed to be agency's showroom. Photograph ordered by the Weyerhaueser Co.


Automobile dealerships--Olympia--1960-1970; Dick Lewis Pontiac-Cadillac (Olympia); Pontiac automobile;

D142171-1

A shiny new Schwinn bicycle donated by County Commissioner Harry Sprinker and a real, live pony donated by Judge Robert A. Jacques were the special prizes given away by the Tacoma Athletic Commission at their big fireworks show on July 4, 1964 in the Stadium Bowl. Leslie Finn of Vancouver, B.C., and Keith Watness of Tacoma were photographed with the bicycle and pony for the News Tribune's pre-4th coverage. Tom Cross (left) representing County Commissioner Harry Sprinker and Judge Robert A. Jacques posed with the children on a grassy field near the Thunderbird Shopping Center. There was a 50-cent admission charge for the Stadium Bowl show with all profits going to a program to buy new bowl lighting. (TNT 7-3-64, p. 13)


Children & adults--Lakewood; Ponies; Bicycles & tricycles--Lakewood; Awards; Cross, Tom; Jacques, Robert A.; Finn, Leslie, Watness, Keith;

D141129-1

Exterior of Children's Home Society of Washington, David Fisher Center. The Children's Home Society of Washington, an adoption agency, was located in a one-story contemporary styled building at 201 So. 34th St. near Pacific Ave. The new West Central District office, named after the late David Fisher, trustee at the time of his death, would hold an open house on April 5, 1964. The Society was founded in 1896 by Rev. and Mrs. H.D. Brown who set out to create a statewide organization to find homes for homeless children. Rather than placing children in orphanages, they sought to provide foster families for them. More than 22,000 children have been placed in adoptive homes since the Society's founding. Throughout the Sixties, its adoption and unmarried parent services were its best known. However, with the numbers of children placed for adoption dropping, it re-directed its energy towards providing residential treatment for school-age children as well as assisting parents in providing adequate care so that their children would not be removed from their homes. There are Children's Home Societies in Seattle and Spokane. 40 years after this photograph was taken, the CHS in Tacoma remains at the same address. (www.chs-wa.org, TNT 3-29-64, A-13)


Children's Home Society of Washington (Tacoma); Adoption--Tacoma;

D141760-54

Dick Lewis Pontiac-Cadillac, Olympia. Man with pipe in bow tie, glasses and Cadillac blazer, possibly owner Dick Lewis, squats beside a pond with fountain. Young girl in shorts and thongs throws rocks into the water. The dealership, unlike the majority of car lots, emphasized a naturalistic setting. State Capitol dome rises in background. Photograph ordered by the Weyerhaeuser Co.


Dick Lewis Pontiac-Cadillac (Olympia); Throwing; Children--Olympia;

D141077-1

Miss Tacoma Home Show, Gerry Gennow, along with developer Boyd Lundstrom, paid a visit to Mayor Harold Tollefson's office on March 4, 1964. Mayor Tollefson, seated, was in the process of cheerfully signing some paperwork pertaining to the Home Show, an annual event which featured goods and services for homeowners by local businesses. Photograph ordered by KTAC.


Greater Tacoma Home Show (Tacoma); Tollefson, Harold M., 1908-1985; Mayors--Tacoma--1960-1970; Gennow, Geraldine; Beauty contestants--Tacoma--1960-1970; Lundstrom, Boyd;

D141591-1

Interior of Highland Ice Arena. Highland Ice Arena opened its doors to the public in December, 1962. It had the largest heated lobby in the Northwest, full rubber flooring in the lobby, glass windows for viewing both inside and out and the first Zamboni in the Northwest. View of large skating rink, benches for skaters and curling stones on racks. Roof appears well reinforced; rink is very well lit wtih fluorescent lighting. Photograph ordered by Butler Manufacturing Co., Kansas City, MO. (www.highlandice.com)


Highland Ice Arena (Shoreline); Skating rinks--Shoreline;

D141985-1

Congratulations are offered to the Matthew Merkles who were celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary in June, 1964. They were given a spin in a 1914 Stoddard-Dayton-Knight, courtesy of C.W. Wallerich, president of South Tacoma Motor Co, and the Merkles' original driver. The Merkles had attended morning low Mass at Church of the Visitation on June 20, 1964. The Merkles were married at this same church on June 24, 1914. They had always lived in Tacoma. Friends and family would honor them with a reception at the Lakewood Terrace following the mass. From L-R are C.W. Wallerich, Elias Rowe, Mr. and Mrs. Merkle, Father Arnold of Visitation and Regina Rowe, Mrs. Merkle's maid of honor. Photograph ordered by C.W. Wallerich. (TNT 6-14-64, D-9, TNT 6-21-64, C-17)


Merkle, Matthew; Merkle, Matthew--Family; Wallerich, Clarence W.; Rowe, Elias; Rowe, Regina; Automobiles--1910-1920; Church of the Visitation (Tacoma);

D141468-1

A giant bird of peace is at the foreground of the Tacoma Vocational Technical Institute's entry in the 1964 Daffodil parade. "Peace Among Nations" is the float's motto. Three lovely ladies wave to the throngs watching the parade while two soldiers provide an escort. This was the 31st Daffodil parade. 33 floats using more than two million daffodils, 24 bands including two from Oregon, 17 marching units, and seven mounted units were televised live on KTNT-TV and viewed in person by thousands in Tacoma, Puyallup, Sumner and Orting. (TNT 4-10-64, p. 1)


Puyallup Valley Daffodil Festival (1964 : Tacoma); Parades & processions--Tacoma--1960-1970; Floats (Parades)--Tacoma--1960-1970;

D141770-15

Exterior exposure of Temple Beth El's South Temple, formerly known as Talmud Torah Synagogue and Sinai Temple. Designed by architects Hill & Mock, and built by contractors Knoell & Westerfield in 1925, the Italian Renaissance Romanesque Talmud Torah Synagogue was located at So. 4th & I Sts. Its congregation was more traditionally minded than Temple Beth Israel's reformists, however in 1960 both congregations voted to merge. Rabbi Richard Rosenthal was elected to lead the combined congregations, now called Temple Beth El. Temple Beth Israel on No. 4th St. was sold in 1964 to the Apostolic Faith Church and Talmud Torah, the South Temple, was sold in 1968 to the Tacoma Blood Bank. The Talmud Torah was demolished and its site used as a parking lot for Tacoma General Hospital. Photograph ordered by Tacoma Realty. (History of Pierce County, Vol. 1, p. 15) TPL-8677


Talmud Torah Synagogue (Tacoma); Synagogues--Tacoma;

D141007-22

Studio exposure ordered by Cole & Weber Advertising. Men in coveralls labeled "Douglas Fir Plywood Assn." and "American Plywood Association" lift their hands in farewell in this February 21, 1964, studio shot. Because the background is nearly black, the men and their gestures are prominently, and poignantly, displayed. The DFPA would change its name to the American Plywood Association on April 1, 1964. When the Douglas Fir Plywood Association was formed in 1939, only Douglas fir was used for plywood. By 1964, 23 species were used. It was decided to change the name to reflect the expanded use of firs. The plywood association had long been recognized as the source of plywood information with every major building code in the United States. Changing its name would be an enormous task since every piece of technical and promotional literature would need to be modified; it was expected to take a year. (TNT 3-22-64, B-4)


Uniforms; Raising hands; Douglas Fir Plywood Association (Tacoma); American Plywood Association (Tacoma);

A141492-1

View of Charclay Apartments taken on April 22, 1964. Signage besides the narrow apartment house reads "New Home Coast Calendar Co. Advertising Specialties." Photograph ordered by Coast Calendar Co.


Charclay Apartments; Apartment houses--1960-1970; Signs (Notices); Coast Calendar Co. (Tacoma);

A141304-4

View of new blower system at Puget Sound Plywood manufactured by the National Blower and Sheet Metal Co., Tacoma. National Blower and Sheet Metal was established in 1890. The company designed and built ventilation, dust collecting and blower systems as well as doing general sheet metal work. They were responsible for much for the sheet metal work on the new County-City Building.


National Blower & Sheet Metal Co. (Tacoma); Machinery industry--Tacoma--1960-1970;

C141844-1

Copy of magazine ad. "Oak paneling from real oaks" was the heading of a Weyerhaeuser advertisement that ran in magazines. The ad stressed that every piece of Weyerhaeuser hardwood paneling actually came from real trees. All Weyerhaeuser paneling were given lustrous prefinishes. The cost of these genuine woods was only slightly higher than some print-grain panels. Photograph ordered on June 3, 1964, by Cole & Weber Advertising.


Advertising; Weyerhaeuser Timber Co.--Associated objects; Trees;

C141922-13

Copy of customer's old photograph, ordered by Drew Foss on June 12, 1964, for insertion into an album. This is an undated sepia photograph of a young Agnes Foss. Wife of Henry O. Foss, youngest son of Thea & Andrew Foss, she was born in Tacoma of immigrant Norwegian parents. She lived in the Tacoma area all her life. Her January 14, 1979, News Tribune obituary noted that she was a champion golfer and horsewoman. She and Henry were wed for 65 years before her death at age 87. Her memorial service, like her husband's, was held at the Henry Foss High School next to Cheney Stadium.


Foss, Agnes S.;

D142432-1

Aerial view of the 2600 block of South Tacoma Way featuring Ben's Truck Parts, Frank Buchanan Sales and Steven Motor Co. on August 7, 1964. Ben's Truck Parts and auto wreckers was owned and operated by Ben Etsekson. It was located at 2622 South Tacoma Way next to Frank Buchanan Sales and across the street from the Plymouth-Chrysler dealership. Road in right corner may be Pine St. Photograph ordered by Ben's Truck Parts.


Aerial photographs; Ben's Truck Parts (Tacoma); Automobile equipment & supplies stores--Tacoma--1960-1970; Frank Buchanan Sales (Tacoma); Steven Motor Co. (Tacoma); Signs (Notices);

D142548-2

Mrs. W.N. Spahn happily accepted the keys to a new Ford Mustang on September 1, 1964, from the Bon Marche managing director Darrel Vannice. She won the car during the Bon's grand opening festivities at the Tacoma Mall. To promote the Bon's new location, all who applied for a Bon credit card were entered into an August 31, 1964, drawing for fabulous prizes; besides the new Mustang, other prizes awarded were a Shetland pony, $100-1000 fully paid charge accounts, and free dinners in the new Cascade Room. Mrs. Spahn, the winner of the Mustang, took delivery of the new car outside the lower entrance to the Bon. Photograph ordered by the Bon Marche. (TNT full page ad- 7-20-64, p. 17, TNT 9-2-64, A-2-article)


Bon Marche (Tacoma); Department stores--Tacoma--1960-1970; Awards; Ford automobile; Vannice, Darrel E.; Spahn, W.N.--Family;

D142208-2

Studio display of Weyerhaeuser registered Home Mortgage Calculator. Made out of paper, the mortgage calculator would be easy for a homeowner to operate and figure out which plan would be better financially. It is apparently based on a 6% loan with mortgages running from 20 - 30 years. An envelope and additional mortgage calculator are out of focus in the background.


Calculators; Weyerhaeuser Timber Co. (Tacoma);

D142390-5

Group of four men in broadcasting booth at KTAC. Lloyd Hart is on extreme right in this August 11, 1964, photograph. Man clutching KTAC material is believed to be Jerry Geehan, KTAC radio station manager.


Hart, Lloyd; Radio broadcasting--Tacoma--1960-1970;

D142544-3

Interior of Lakebay home. Expansive A-frame Olson home in Lakebay features extensive glass to capture waterfront views and steeply pitched ceilings of natural wood. View of water can be appreciated even on foggy days. Large wooden statue with sweeping wings on deck to welcome any travelers. Photograph ordered by the Weyerhaeuser Co.


Homes--Lakebay; Ceilings--Lakebay; A-frame buildings;

D142914-B

ca. 1964. Hardy stalks of bamboo are examined by three unidentified men outside the new Kokura restaurant located on the Broadway level of the Winthrop Hotel. The Kokura, named after Tacoma's sister-city on the island Kyushu, Japan, opened in the summer of 1964. The bamboo plant was probably destined for the restaurant's interior whose furnishings were either directly from Japan or associated with that culture. TPL-5022


Kokura Restaurant (Tacoma); Restaurants--Tacoma--1960-1970; Bamboo--Tacoma;

D142900-43

Scenes from Potlatch Forests, Inc., pulp and paper operations, Lewiston, Idaho. Aerial view of what is probably the massive Potlatch Forests, Inc., plant in Lewiston, Idaho, taken in late September-early October, 1964. Plant operations were situated in what appears to be a sparsely populated area. Potlatch products could be conveyed by water, road, and railroad to customers nationwide. Photograph ordered by Malcolm McGhie, industrial consultant, New York, for inclusion in the company's annual report.


Lumber industry--Idaho--1960-1970; Paper industry--Idaho--1960-1970; Industrial facilities--Idaho; Aerial photographs;

Results 1 to 30 of 216910