Showing 3434 results

Advanced search options
Print preview View:

3434 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects


Hogan's Fine Foods store exterior at night with active neon signage. Sign in window reads "open every Sunday 11am till 9pm." There are two registers, a meat counter and produce section visible.


Hogan's Fine Foods store exterior at night with active neon signage. Sign in window reads "open every Sunday 11am till 9pm." There are two registers, a meat counter and produce section visible.


ca. 1910. Clown with top hat on unicycle. Street is paved with brick. Building to rear of clown has signs for "Baldwin Real Estate" and a large banner for a clothing sale starting March 31st.


ca. 1908. A group of men, women and children crowd into a butcher shop - probably in South Tacoma. Various cuts of meat are on display including a whole smoked pig. Four butchers, in white aprons, are standing behind the counter.


Hill Hardware Co. wagon & driver at east end of Wagon Bridge, Steilacoom Lake. Driver is C. L. Whitney. In 1908 the Hill Hardware Co. was at 2317-2319 Pacific Ave.


ca. 1908. Tacoma Steam Laundry wagon and driver. The wagon is piled full of bags of laundry. Even the driver's seat is packed, leaving no room for him to sit. From copy negative. Similar to BROWNING-073.


ca. 1908. Bicycle shop and Storage business. The bicycle shop is probably the Amzie D. Browning Bicycle & General Repairing business. The bicycle shop has an advertisment painted on it for the Tacoma Baking Co. Print is somewhat out of focus.


Distant view of laborers on a shipyard. Spiked exterior wall can be seen on the left with mountains faintly in the distance.


Dockside shipyard materials with an ad for Drifted Snow "Home Perfected" Flour on the side of a building. There also appears to be some industrial architecture from the Port of Tacoma in the distance.

Boats at Northern Pacific dock with Blackwell Hotel, Tacoma, Washington Territory, circa 1885

Boats at Northern Pacific dock, Tacoma, Washington Territory, circa 1885. The owners of the warehouse in the center of photograph were not identified. The large building to the far left is the Blackwell Hotel, considered New Tacoma's first hotel. Built by the Northern Pacific Railroad, it opened on January 1, 1874 and closed in 1884. It was razed during the summer of 1901. KING-002, TPL-1095


View of the waterfront to Younglove Grocery Co. Industrial buildings on the Port of Tacoma can be seen in the distance.


Turner Towing company façade with four vehicles, two antiquated tow trucks and a mechanic walking out from the garage area.


Interior of El Rancho Grocery Store, whose mascot appears to be an Aladdin inspired character wearing a turban on a flying carpet. The Store's slogan is "There is Magic in Savings." There is Van De Kamp's bakery display and a store directory in the back.


Damaged photo of the Pacific Boat Building Company fire with onlookers outside and firemen entering the building on a ladder.


Produce display for the Washington State Fruit Commission at a grocery store with scales and low level frozen food coolers.

Restaurants and Nightclubs (Taverns)(Bars)(Nightclubs) - 1

Back of Photo:
Lyle Swenson in his Autorest Cafe in Cle Elum

CLE ELUM--The Autorest Cafe, known to travelers for its pastry and a back bar that came 'round Cape Horn, will change ownership on Sept. 15 after being in the same family since 1918.
Many cross-state travelers have stopped at the venerable place, operated for the past 30 years by Lois and Lyle Swenson of Cle Elum. They have sold the restaurant to Ron and Donna Voight of the Tacoma area. Voight has been with Safeway.
The massive back bar of dark, Honduras mahogany is the dominant piece. Visitors who sat at the counter and saw themselves in the bar's broad mirrors wouldn't know its history unless they read the sign.
Hand-carved and built in Alabama in 1897 by the Brunswick-Balke-Collender Co., the bar was shipped around Cape Horn to Seattle, where it embellished the old Mecca Saloon on First Avenue in 1915. The bar was moved and installed in the Autorest Cafe, Cle Elum, in 1918.

Restaurants and Nightclubs (Taverns)(Bars)(Nightclubs) - 5

Back of Photo:
Over the cash register hangs a thermometer of how much money had been donated by 5 o'clock in the afternoon, and the goals of the tavern that they wanted to reach. Peggy O'Neall rings up the cash register with sales donated to help the little boy, victim of rape and mutilation, at the Fern Hill Tavern Thursday evening.
Melissa Stevenson - Photo
Susan Gordon - Story

Results 1 to 30 of 3434