Print preview Close

Showing 43131 results

Image With digital objects
Print preview View:


ca. 1935. Scenic views - mountains covered with trees, valley on right. (filed with Argentum)

Scenic overlooks;


On August 22, 1934, several men standing on the roof of the Jones Building (now known as the Pantages) craned their necks to watch the airship Macon fly over the downtown skyline. Thousands lined the streets and rooftops of buildings to watch the dirigible make a wide circle over the city around 8 a.m. Construction of the dirigible cost the US two and a half million dollars. Tacoma was also visited by airships Shenandoah in 1924 and Akron in 1932. The Macon was lost over the Pacific Ocean offshore of Point Sur Feb. 12, 1935. (T. Times 8/22/1934, pg. 1)

Airships--Tacoma; Jones Building (Tacoma); Historic buildings--Tacoma;


The ghostly USS Macon, a dirigible, flew over the Jones Building (now known as the Pantages) in downtown Tacoma on August 22, 1934. The eerie airship was almost disguised by the clouds. Thousands of spectators lined the streets and rooftops of buildings to watch the dirigible make a wide circle over the city around 8 a.m. The Daily Ledger called the airship "a great silver fish of the skies." The Macon was lost over the waters of the Pacific Ocean offshore from Point Sur on February 12, 1935. (T. Times 8/22/1934, pg. 1)

Airships--Tacoma; Jones Building (Tacoma); Historic buildings--Tacoma;


ca. 1925. Artist's rendering of design that would later become the Winthrop Hotel, 773 Broadway, designed by architect W.L. Stoddard and associate architect Roland E. Borhek. The hotel opened in May of 1925. The image appears to be reversed, since "New Tacoma Hotel" is printed backwards near the bottom of the drawing. (filed with Argentum)

Hotel Winthrop (Tacoma);


ca. 1935. The Alt Heidelberg, 9106 Steilacoom Blvd. S.W. in Lakewood, had its Grand Opening on April 7, 1933. This location was formerly known as the Alhambra. The opening of the Alt Heidelberg as a dine and dance venue coincided with the legalization of beer in 19 states and the District of Columbia. At 12:01 a.m. on April 7th, 1933, beer was made legal after a dry spell of 13 years. The Alt Heidelberg's opening advertisement claimed that it was "Washington's most beautiful recreational gardens." It offered beer on draught at all times and a 5 piece orchestra from 8:30p.m.- closing. It had a $1.00 cover charge, which was not charged if the customer had dinner. (TDL 4/7/1933, pg. 1-2)

Airplane Inn (Lakewood); Alt Heidelberg Gardens (Lakewood); Restaurants--Lakewood--1930-1940; Beer halls--Lakewood--1930-1940;


ca. 1934. Annie Wright Seminary, circa 1934. General view of the building designed by Sutton, Whitney and Dugan, Architects. The cornerstone was laid for the new school building June 9, 1924, and it opened September 18, 1924. The earlier school building had been located at 611 Division Avenue. (filed with Argentum)

Annie Wright Seminary (Tacoma)--Buildings; Private schools--Tacoma;


ca. 1934. General view of Jason Lee Intermediate School, circa 1934, with trolley wire in foreground. The Gothic Revival school designed by Roland Borhek opened in 1924. It was the first and largest of six new intermediate schools built from the proceeds of a 1923 bond issue. As more education became essential, the high schools were overcrowded. In 1920, the 6-3-3 elementary, intermediate, high school plan was designed to relieve overcrowding and a 2.4 million bond issue passed to build the 6 new schools. Originally named West Intermediate school, the name was soon changed to Jason Lee to honor an early Northwest missionary pioneer. The school is built on the site of the old College of Puget Sound campus at Sixth and No. Sprague. In 1928, the name was changed to Jason Lee Junior High, and later to middle school. ("For the record" by Winnifred L. Olsen)

Public Schools--Tacoma; Jason Lee Junior High School (Tacoma);


The U.S.S. Constitution, old "Ironsides," docked in Tacoma, with Elks Lodge and waterview mansions in the background. On June 15, 1933, the U.S.S. Constitution was towed into Commencement Bay and docked on Dock Street for a week. The vessel was open for tours and over 84,000 area residents toured the ship. The Constitution is the oldest commissioned warship in the world; it was launched in 1797.

U.S.S. Constitution; Battleships--United States--1790-1800; Piers & wharves--Tacoma--1930-1940; Cruisers (Warships)--United States--1790-1800;


On June 15, 1933, the USS Constitution, better known as "Old Ironsides," was towed into Tacoma for a one week visit. The vessel was moored at the McCormick Dock on Dock Street and opened for tours. Over 84,000 people toured the vessel. The ship was launched October 21, 1797, one of the six original ships of the U.S. Navy. It is still a part of the Navy today, making it the oldest commissioned warship in the world. The tanks of the Associated Oil Co. can be seen in the background. (filed with Argentum)

U.S.S. Constitution; Battleships--United States--1790-1800; Piers & wharves--Tacoma--1930-1940; Cruisers (Warships)--United States--1790-1800;


ca. 1931. Joseph L. Carman residence, Villa Carman. Broad exterior view of Spanish Colonial Revival mansion, designed by Kirtland K. Cutter, Architect, 1919. The home was built on 18 acres of lakefront property purchased by the Carmans. It had 6 fireplaces and 18 foot ceilings in the living room. Selected in 1931 by the Tacoma Society of Architects as one of the 10 most beautiful homes in Tacoma and its surrounding areas. Purchased by Lowell T. and Helen Murray in 1939 and by actress Linda Evans in 1987. (TDL 5/26/1931, Rotogravure, pg. B6) (WSHS)

Estates--Lakewood; Carman, Joseph L.--Homes & haunts; Villa Carman (Lakewood);


ca. 1920. View of 9th and Broadway taken from the roof of the Medical Arts Building. Night scene showing the Winthrop Hotel (773 Broadway), left, and an illuminated Pantages Theater (901 Broadway) building.

Aerial photographs; Hotel Winthrop (Tacoma); Hotels--Tacoma--1920-1930; Pantages Theater (Tacoma);


Per Richards Studio notes, this is the old University Place School. The school was demolished in 1977 and according to the 2008 Polk Directory, the location was in use as a day care center. (filed with Argentum) (Additional information provided by a reader)

Public schools--University Place--1930-1940; University Place School (University Place);


ca. 1934. Washington School, named for George Washington, started out as a two room building in 1901. It was soon outgrown and replaced by this brick structure designed by Frederick Heath in 1906. The school continued to be expanded and in 1959 the adjoining Hoyt Elementary School was opened at 2708 N. Union St. The school is now known as Washington Hoyt Elementary.

Public schools--Tacoma; Washington School (Tacoma);

Results 1 to 30 of 43131