Showing 34 results

Clubs & Organizations Image With digital objects
Print preview View:


Ivy covered Fire Station #6 located at 823 A St. before being destroyed by a fire in 1974.


Three men holding a beer stein in the meeting room of an unidentified fraternal organization while a seated man looks at the camera. Three of the four men are wearing lapel pins.


Panorama of 85th Annual Communication Most Worshipful Grand Lodge F.&A.M of Tacoma WA. Masonic group standing outside of lodge in uniform with group members occupying stairwell and balcony.


Panorama of the Sons and Daughters of Norway Convention, Trip to Mt. Tacoma (Rainier)


Tacoma Scottish Rite Class Spring Reunion featuring consistories Clarence D. Martin, R.E. Gallot, E.L. Tarnsworth and Albert Rasmussen.

Black Collective - 1

Back of Photo:
Seattle Mayor-elect Norm Rice, foreground left, and Tacoma Mayor-elect Karen Vialle, foreground right, answer questions and thank the black collective for the support the group has given both Rice and Vialle. The two Mayor-elects met with the Black Collective Saturday morning at 2316 S. Yakima. (12-2-89 photo by David Brandt)
Pierce & S. King County


Undated photograph of the Matrons Club. The woman seated front left is Helen Beck Stafford, one of the founders of the group. Dr. Stafford moved to Tacoma in 1926 to marry Wendell P. Stafford on New Years Eve. Even though she had taught for a few years in Kansas schools, Tacoma school personnel directors refused to hire a black teacher. She stayed at home and cared for her husband and daughter. She and several other women who stayed home to rear their children would get together for a social outlet. In 1927, they formally organized the Matrons Club. The women who attended the meetings often brought their children along and the children would play together. (TNT 2/22/1982- NWR clipping file) (photograph by Liberal Engraving Co., 907 1/2 Commerce)

BOWEN G23.1-100

ca. 1925. An unidentified Afifi Temple member stands besides a metal trunk painted with a design of Mount Tacoma (Rainier) and his temple's name. On the trunk rests a large drum. The Shriner is holding onto a pair of drumsticks. This Chapin Bowen photograph was taken circa 1925.

BOWEN G38.1-003

Mess tents pitched on the old Central School playgrounds across from the Armory as cooks prepare to feed the men of the second battalion of the Washington National Guard 161st Infantry called out to control the violence associated with the 1935 Lumber workers' strike. In June of 1935, the mills in Tacoma and surrounded areas attempted to reopen with workers willing to return to work. Violence erupted between the returning workers and the strikers. Governor Clarence Martin ordered the Guard in on June 23rd, 1935 after reports that local authorities were unable to handle the situation. It was the second time the Guard was ordered out since the World War, the other two times being in 1919 and 1933. (TNT 6/24/1935, pg. 1 & 2)

BOWEN G38.1-004

Soldiers from the 161st Infantry of the Washington National Guard patrol the Tideflats during the Lumber worker's strike of 1935. In June of 1935, the mills of Tacoma and surrounding areas were attempting to reopen after petitions circulated stating that over 60 % of the work force was willing to return. Governor Clarence Martin promised protection to the mills and workers and called in the Guard to patrol the Tideflats and guard the entrances into the industrial area. They also accompanied returning workers on the main thoroughfares into the area. The troops totalled over 500 by June 25th and came from Yakima, Prosser, Pullman and Walla Walla. (TNT 6/24/1935, pg. 1 & 2)

BOWEN G38.1-006

Members of the 2nd battalion of the Washington National Guard 161st Infantry lounge on the ground, or stand in line with their mess kits, preparing to eat at the temporary mess tents set up on the old Central School playground. The Guard was called into Tacoma by Governor Clarence Martin on June 23rd, 1935 to control the violence associated with the lumber workers' strike. The soldiers were stationed at the Armory and their mess tents set up in this nearby playground. The lumber and sawmill workers' strike started on May 6th and was settled August 2nd, 1935. (TNT 6/24/1935, pg. 1 & 2)

BOWEN G38.1-009

When the attempts in June of 1935 of workers to return to the striking mills erupted in violence, Governor Clarence Martin ordered in the Washington National Guard late Sunday night, June 23, 1935. The guards were whisked from Camp Murray to Tacoma in 16 trucks. Their job was to protect the returning workers and the mills. (TNT 6/24/1935, pg. 1 & 2)

BOWEN G74.1-128

An unidentified model takes five and poses on some of the logs being used to restore the historic Fort Nisqually. The restoration of the fort was a project funded and propelled by the Young Mens Business Club of Tacoma. The Fort was moved from its original location near DuPont, rebuilt log by log on a bluff overlooking the sound in Point Defiance Park and opened to the public as a tourist attraction.

BOWEN G74.1-129

These two young women aren't dressed for heavy labor, but they are posing on the site of the ongoing restoration of Fort Nisqually. The young lady on the right of the log is Frankie Cowan and the one on the left is unidentified. They appear to be trying to split the log without great success. Their sunsuits and heels seem better suited to modelling than splitting. In 1934, the Young Mens Business Club of Tacoma succeeded in a goal that they had for many years. They were able to move Fort Nisqually from its original site near DuPont to Point Defiance in Tacoma, restore it and open it as a tourist attraction. The grand dedication for the Fort was September 3, 1934. TPL-8018

BOWEN G74.1-126

The womens' auxiliary of the Young Men's Business Club poses with a poster advertising the sale of "Fort Nisqually stamps." The woman seated at the desk in the center also holds up a sheet of the stamps. The proceeds from the sale of the stamps were for the ongoing restoration work at Fort Nisqually. In 1934, just in time for the Fort's 101st birthday, the YMBC achieved a goal it had for many years. They succeeded in moving the Fort from its original location at DuPont to Point Defiance. Restoration proceeded and the Fort had its dedication on Labor Day, Sept. 3, 1934. It was intended, as the poster states, to "help bring the tourist to Tacoma."

BOWEN G51.1-049

These solemn youngsters belong to the Daniel Boone schooner Boy Pioneers, a group made up of boys mostly from the Oakland Children's Industrial Home, 3000 So. Washington St. In January of 1926, they are posing at the Y.M.C.A. in Tacoma. The "Y" truck brings them every Saturday afternoon to participate in activities. Top row, left to right, Garnald Roney, Wesley Fellows, Floyd Wells, August Kross and Harold Rinker. Bottom row- Raymond McMann, Moriss Lawrence, Fred Martin, Edward Mitchell, Victor Cappa and Wally Streeter, Pioneer executive. The Boy Pioneers were organized by Dan Beard (1850-1941), American illustrator and naturalist, two years before the Boy Scouts started in England. The Children's Industrial Home was located in the former Harry M. Ball mansion at 3000 South Washington St. and housed children in distress, ages infant to 14. The original structure was damaged in a 1944 explosion and was replaced by a new ranch rambler in 1950. (Tacoma Sunday Ledger 1/24/1926, pg. B-3)


ca. 1925. Fire Chief Carl Emil Carlson looks on as two unidentified Tacoma firefighters help prepare toys for the Elks Club's annual holiday charity campaign. The Elks Stocking Fillers program supplied Christmas gifts for needy girls and boys - such as these hand assembled wooden boats. Carlson was chief of the fire department from 1916 to 1932.

BOWEN G38.1-005

A young boy poses by the chain link fence of the old Central School playgrounds where mess tents have been erected to feed the more than 500 members of the 2nd battalion of the 161st Infantry of the Washington National Guard called out to Tacoma to restore peace during the 1935 Lumber workers' strike. The Guard was stationed at the nearby Armory. The troops had been in training at Camp A.H. Hankins at Camp Murray for the past two weeks when they were deployed to Tacoma. (TNT 6/24/1935, pg. 1 & 2)

BOWEN G38.1-012

Chief of Police Harold Bird poses with an officer of the Washington National Guard, deployed to Tacoma by Governor Clarence Martin to restore the peace during the 1935 lumber workers' strike. In June of 1935, as some workers prepared to return to the reopened mills, their efforts were met with violence. Returning workers were threatened, beaten, their homes and vehicles bombed and vandalized. Local authorities were unable to stop the violence. The Guard was called in to protect the workers and the mills. The strikers and sympathizers were joined in their protests by those who resented the armed troops in their midst. (TNT 6/24/1935, pg. 1 & 2)

BOWEN G20.1-114

This undated photograph featuring the Corner Club Girls rolling down Broadway at 9th Street is most probably of the historical pageant parade presented Labor Day 1934. The costumed lovelies are from Pioneer Days and are festooned in ruffles, bonnets and parasols. The Tacoma Corner Club was formed by Mrs. Percy C. Smith who served as advisor and was fondly referred to as "Mother Smith." The women of the Tacoma Corner Club hosted dinners, dances, plays, took classes in bookkeeping, first aid, shorthand, the Bible, among others, and supported one another. They presented a flag to the State Historical Society in 1933. The original club was formed in Vancouver, British Columbia, in 1917. (Additional information provided by a reader)

BOWEN G38.1-008

Mill workers, accompanied by Washington National Guardsmen, stand at the side of the road preparing to cross the Eleventh Street Bridge into the Tideflats to report to work. A second group of men appears to be standing just ahead, possibly strikers gathering to heckle the workers. In June of 1935, workers attempting to return to work at the reopening mills were subjected to extreme violence and threats. Governor Clarence Martin ordered the second battalion of the Washington National Guard 161st Infantry to Tacoma on June 23, 1935 to protect the returning workers and the mills. The guardsmen were armed with smoke, tear and nausea gas bombs, rifles, bayonets and ammunition. (TNT 6/24/1935, pg. 1 & 2)

BOWEN G38.1-011

Members of the Washington National Guard are loaded up in trucks and preparing to return to downtown Tacoma from the industrial Tideflats across the Eleventh Street Bridge. The second battalion of the Guards' 161st Infantry was mobilized to Tacoma by Governor Clarence Martin when workers attempting to return to work during the Lumber workers' strike met with violence. Their job was to protect the workers and the mills. They were stationed at the Armory and patrolled the Tideflats and all bridges and roads into the area. The Eleventh Street bridge has roadblocks on all but one lane, so that vehicles could be searched. (TNT 6/24/1935, pg. 1 & 2)

BOWEN G74.1-130

This is one way to open a tourist attraction, with bathing beauties catching some rays on the rooftop. In 1934, the Young Mens Business Club of Tacoma succeeded in reaching a goal they had for many years. They moved Fort Nisqually from DuPont, restored it at a new location at Point Defiance and opened it as a tourist attraction. The dedication for the restored historical fort was September 3, 1934. Here Frankie Cowan, on the ladder, and another unidentified young lady pose on the roof on one of the structures at the Fort.

BOWEN G71.1-193

A generous donation from Tacoma businessman William W. Seymour in 1907 made possible the opening of the Tacoma YMCA's Camp Seymour at Glen Cove. By 1931, when this group of boys attended summer camp, many improvements had been added. Nestled along Puget Sound, Camp Seymour is still operated today by the YMCA. Its benefactor also donated funds for Seymour Conservatory in Wright Park and served as mayor of Tacoma. TPL-6263

BOWEN G25.1-035

In February of 1931, elderly Richard Henry "Jimmy" Davis demonstrated how he and the neighborhood boys played marbles outside the frame home of Abraham Lincoln in Springfield, Ill. The future President, depending on his mood, would either join the boys in the game or shoo them away, saying that they were making too much noise. Mr. Davis, who in 1931 was well past 80, lived in the Lutheran Compass Mission. He couldn't remember much about how he came to live there. He worked in the mines from the age of 11 and three cave-ins have robbed him of much of his memory. As a young man, he was active in the labor movement and for two years travelled and worked with Mary Harris "Mother" Jones, the "Miners Angel." The pair helped with organizing what would become the United Mine Workers. (TNT 2/11/1931, pg. 1) BGN-284 TPL-9934

BOWEN G71.1-194

Two cooks at Camp Seymour are prepared to serve hordes of hungry boys at the YMCA camp in August of 1931. It looks like oyster stew is on the menu for the day accompanied by small salted oyster crackers. Thanks to the generosity of former Tacoma mayor and businessman William W. Seymour, a YMCA summer camp at Glen Cove (then called Balch's Cove) was established in 1907 on Mr. Seymour's rural property. Mr. Seymour would eventually deed 150 acres to the Tacoma YMCA for the sole purpose of summer camping for boys. The camp would be officially named Camp Seymour in 1926 as a recognition of Mr. Seymour's generosity. ( on camp)

BOWEN G71.1-192

YMCA boys at Camp Seymour. Enjoying the sun on an August day in 1931 were several teenage boys and staff at the YMCA camp on Glen Cove. Thanks to benefactor William W. Seymour, a Tacoma businessman, youngsters had been coming to the camp since 1907. There they would be partaking in lots of fresh air, nourishing meals and sports including rowing and swimming.

Results 1 to 30 of 34