Showing 70550 results

Collections
Image
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

70550 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

A1615-1

ca. 1926. The Biltmore Apartments, Frederick A. Sexton, Architect, 1889. General view of large, three-story plus basement turreted Queen Anne-style building. Streetcar tracks and lines in the foreground. Ordered by North Coast Electric Company. The apartment building was renamed "The Biltmore" in 1926. (filed with Argentum)


Biltmore Apartments (Tacoma); Apartment houses--Tacoma;

A1147-1

ca. 1926. Meat Market. Meat grinding equipment, hanging meat and fresh meat cases. (filed with Argentum)


Butcher shops--1920-1930;

A1281-1

ca. 1926. Unidentified Meat Market interior. Fresh meat case, sausages and other cuts hanging up, including Carsten's Hams. Morell Pride Lard, Heinz and Snider's Ketchup bottles, ad for Red Rock Cheese on countertop. Sign for Swift's Premium Ham, meat hanging in locker. (filed with Argentum)


Butcher shops--1920-1930;

A1282-1

ca. 1926. Unidentified Meat Market interior. Fresh meat case, scales, Carsten's Ham and Bacon hanging up and in case. Signs "Look - Beef is Cheape (sic) Today", "Look - Choice Steak 17 1/2 (cents per pound)", "Look - Pot Roast 10 (cents per pound)", etc. (filed with Argentum)


Butcher shops--1920-1930;

A1752-1

ca. 1926. Meat market. Glass fresh meat case with marble base, scales, hanging plants, banner "Sir Knights". For Neils Hansen Manufacturing Company. (filed with Argentum)


Butcher shops--1920-1930; Meat;

BOLAND G65.1-007

ca. 1926. On July 24, 1926, Reginald Denny's newest comedy "Rolling Home" opened at the Colonial Theater, 916-18 Broadway. A crowd of young people gathered around the theater for the Reginald Denny Day festivities. Mr. Denny (1891-1967) was an actor who made 200 films between 1898 and 1966, but he was also a pioneer in the field of radio-controlled pilotless aviation. At the left foreground of the theater was a couple of barrels covered with cloths that sported a sign for Royal Ice Cream and its slogan "It's the Cream." Royal Ice Cream Co. was located in Tacoma on Pacific Avenue at 25th. It was a wholesale ice cream, milk and cream company. Boland B15392, BU-11146


Colonial Theater (Tacoma); Motion picture theaters--Tacoma--1920-1930; Motion picture industry--1920-1930;

BOWEN 270-325-9

ca. 1926. The lovely Ethel Haasarud, a Lincoln High School graduate, was the runner up in the hotly disputed Miss Tacoma contest July 5, 1926. Around that time, she worked for a Tacoma photographer, probably Chapin Bowen who took this timeless glamor photograph of her. By 1931, she was working in the box office at the Pantages Theater, whom she had represented in the Miss Tacoma contest. She was born March 24 in Minnesota. Her family came to Tacoma in 1919. (TNT 3/25/1931 p.3) For a more contemporary portrait, see image 3.

BOWEN TPL-1433

Founded in Tacoma in 1924, the Pacific Match Company produced over 80 million wood stick matches per day at its peak production. White pine from Eastern Washington and Idaho was turned into brand name matches such as Sunset, Fire Chief, Lite King and Red Head in the factory at 3223 So. Union Avenue. Pacific Match closed in 1964, largely due to competition from the Diamond Match Company of Ohio. Bowen 2647.

BOWEN G51.1-049

These solemn youngsters belong to the Daniel Boone schooner Boy Pioneers, a group made up of boys mostly from the Oakland Children's Industrial Home, 3000 So. Washington St. In January of 1926, they are posing at the Y.M.C.A. in Tacoma. The "Y" truck brings them every Saturday afternoon to participate in activities. Top row, left to right, Garnald Roney, Wesley Fellows, Floyd Wells, August Kross and Harold Rinker. Bottom row- Raymond McMann, Moriss Lawrence, Fred Martin, Edward Mitchell, Victor Cappa and Wally Streeter, Pioneer executive. The Boy Pioneers were organized by Dan Beard (1850-1941), American illustrator and naturalist, two years before the Boy Scouts started in England. The Children's Industrial Home was located in the former Harry M. Ball mansion at 3000 South Washington St. and housed children in distress, ages infant to 14. The original structure was damaged in a 1944 explosion and was replaced by a new ranch rambler in 1950. (Tacoma Sunday Ledger 1/24/1926, pg. B-3)

G47.1-009

ca. 1926. The "Lincoln Letter Lassies." The 1925-26 school year at Lincoln High School saw the formation of this new organization composed of 24 girls, all of them the winners of one or more letters ("L"s) in athletics. The purpose of the group was to promote good sportsmanship and further interest in girls' athletics. The requirements for membership were the earning of at least one letter for sports and a passing grade in 3 out of 4 subjects. The girls performed community service work, as well as enjoying hikes, a tennis tournament and dances sponsored by the group. Senior Margaret Alleman was the president. Other officers included Lois Phenicie, Rosaline Koval, Jean Churchman and Mabel Bennett. (LHS yearbook "Lincolnian, 1926")


Lincoln High School (Tacoma);

N604-1

ca. 1926. Mr. and Mrs. Charles Fletcher pose in happier days on the steps with their grandchildren Charles (in lap) and Muriel Mattson. On the evening of Dec. 27, 1936, ten year old Charles Mattson was kidnapped from the family's home. His parents received several ransom notes, but despite frantic attempts to contact the kidnappers, were unable to do so. On Jan. 10, 1937, the boy's battered body was found near a snowy road in Everett. The kidnapper has never been identified or caught. (filed with Argentum)


Kidnappings--Tacoma--1930-1940; Mattson, Charles; Mattson, Muriel; Fletcher, Charles;

G55.1-078

ca. 1926. This view of majestic Stadium High School and adjoining Stadium Bowl was taken looking up from Commencement Bay circa 1926. "Stadium" is spelled out in large letters on the grassy slope. There are logs lashed together floating in the peaceful bay. BU-11645, TPL-7926


Stadium High School (Tacoma); Public schools--Tacoma--1920-1930; Stadium Bowl (Tacoma); Logs; Commencement Bay (Wash.);

H4-2

ca. 1926. Judge William and Pauline Snell's residence. Large Dutch Colonial-style house designed in 1913 by Heath, Gove and Bell, Architects for Mrs. F. S. Blattner. Natural wood siding, awnings on second floor windows, landscaping. (Argentum)


Snell, William--Homes & haunts; Houses--Tacoma--1920-1930;

H4-5

ca. 1926. Judge William and Pauline Snell's residence. Large Dutch Colonial-style house designed in 1913 by Heath, Gove and Bell, Architects for Mrs. F.S. Blattner. Natural wood siding, awnings on second floor windows, landscaping. (Argentum)


Snell, William--Homes & haunts; Houses--Tacoma--1920-1930;

A1515-1

ca. 1926. Architect's model of Masonic Home, Des Moines, WA. George Gove of Heath, Gove and Bell, Architect. At the turn of the century, state Masons acknowledged the need for a safe haven for aged Masons, wives, widows and widowed mothers. The first Masonic Home was located in Puyallup, but the need soon outgrew the facility. In 1924, 82 acres were purchased in Zenith (now Des Moines) for approximately $79,000. On June 21, 1927, the $750,000 facility was dedicated. The current address for the Home is 23660 Marine View Dr. S., Des Moines, WA. (TT 6/21/1927, pg. 5) (filed with Argentum)


Architectural models; Masonic Home (Des Moines); Heath, Gove and Bell (Tacoma); Fraternal organizations; Retirement communities- Des Moines;

A1169-1

ca. 1926. In 1926 a new Jubilee Moon 6-60 from the Bye Thompson Motor Sales Company located at 3320 South G Street took on the steep K Street hill. The K Street hill between Center Street and South 27th had such a steep grade that it was used as a testing ground for the power of new cars. The Jubilee Moon was produced to celebrate 20 years of manufacturing by the Moon Motor Co. (1905-1929) of St. Louis, MO. The car, which sold for under $1,000, was reported to be of European design adapted to American traffic needs. The Moon and Diana motor car agent in Tacoma was the Bye Thompson Motor Sales Company; Bye Thompson was president of the company which sold and serviced the vehicles. This steep, rugged portion of K St. closed about 1960. Holy Rosary Church can be seen in the background. (filed with Argentum) (information on the Moon Jubilee from an August 7, 1926 ad in the Saturday Evening Post)


Automobile dealerships--Tacoma--1920-1930; Bye Thompson Motor Sales Co. (Tacoma); Automobiles--Tacoma--1920-1930; Moon automobiles; Dirt roads--Tacoma--1920-1930;

A1404-1

ca. 1926. Beutel Business College. Simulated tellers wickets, adding machines , stools. Beutel, founded in 1887, was the oldest commercial school in Tacoma. It offered classes in accounting, typing, shorthand, and other subjects needed to find placement in the business world. (filed with Argentum)


Beutel Business College (Tacoma); Business education;

A1109-0

ca. 1926. Boat under construction. M1400 being launched. (WSHS)


Boat & ship industry--Tacoma--1920-1930; Launchings--Tacoma--1920-1930;

A1007-0

ca. 1926. In 1926, this photograph was taken of South 11th Street between Tacoma Ave So. and So. Fawcett. The businesses are, left to right, the Pleasant Corner Candy Store, an upholstery shop, Clinton's Pianos at 506 So. 11th, the Pok-A-Dot-Pup Sandwich Shop and an unidentified storefront. The tall building in the back is 1111 Tacoma Ave. So., at this time occupied by A. Gehri & Co. and Erickson Bro. This building is still across the street from the Tacoma Public Library. However, the top floors have now been removed. (WSHS)


Business districts--Tacoma--1920-1930; Commercial streets--Tacoma--1920-1930; Clinton's Music House (Tacoma);

A1139-1

ca. 1926. Meat market interior. Fresh meat case, pickled meats in jars, scale, butcher's table. (filed with Argentum)


Butcher shops--1920-1930;

Results 2791 to 2820 of 70550