Lawrence Block Remodel

Lawrence Block Remodel, Sheet 3

Identity elements

Reference code

Name and location of repository

Level of description

File

Title

Lawrence Block Remodel

Date(s)

  • 6/21/1926 (Creation)

Extent

Content and structure elements

Scope and content

One of 24 technical drawings created by Earl N. Dugan, Albert Sutton and Harrison Allen Whitney for a 1926 remodel and expansion on the structure, which had been extant since 1892. The Lawrence Block was demolished in 1956 to for the construction of a 12 story Weyerhaeuser building.

Earl N. Dugan was born in Perry, Iowa and graduated from the University of Illinois in 1906. After working for a short while in Chicago and San Francisco, he arrived in Tacoma working independently as a draftsman. This led to partnerships with Sutton, Whitney and Dugan as well as Mock, Morrison and Dugan. Dugan was the founding member of the Tacoma Society of Architects and would sometimes use this platform to secure contracts through free consultation, as was the case for the Point Defiance Pavilion.

Albert Sutton was born in Victoria, British Columbia, raised in Portland, Oregon and graduated from the University of California in Berkeley. His first architectural partnership was with James Pickles in 1888, followed by a brief collaboration with Ambrose Russell which lasted only two years when Sutton relocated to San Francisco. When he returned to Tacoma, Sutton formed a partnership with Harrison A. Whitney and Earl Dugan in 1912. This partnership would last until 1923 when Sutton would die suddenly from heart failure. Albert Sutton was a 33rd degree Mason, the highest rank within the organization.

Harrison Allen Whitney was born in Osage, Iowa and graduated from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in architecture. After working in Boston and Chicago, Whitney moved to Portland, Oregon as head draftsman for Whidden & Lewis. This position led to Whitney contributing designs for the Lewis and Clark Exposition and the Multnomah County Courthouse. In 1912, Whitney partnered with Albert Sutton and would retain Sutton's name in his architectural firm long after his death in 1923.

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use elements

Conditions governing access

Technical access

Conditions governing reproduction

Languages of the material

Scripts of the material

Language and script notes

Finding aids

Custodial history

Immediate source of acquisition

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information

Accruals

Related materials elements

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related archival materials

Related descriptions

Notes element

Specialized notes

Alternative identifier(s)

Rules or conventions

Sources used

"Tacoma Evening News - 12/25/1899", "Tacoma Daily News - 3/28/1926 - Page E10", "The News Tribune - 1/24/1956", “PCAD - Earl Nathaniel Dugan.” “Tacoma Daily News (Published as THE TACOMA DAILY NEWS) - March 30, 1912 - Page 5,”, The Modern Cemetery, 1920. “Tribune (Published as THE NEWS TRIBUNE) - February 12, 1921 - Page 8,” “Tribune (Published as THE TACOMA NEWS TRIBUNE) - September 19, 1922 - Page 24,” “Tribune (Published as THE TACOMA NEWS TRIBUNE) - September 28, 1932 - Page 9,” Washington State Department of Archaeology & Historic Preservation (DAHP). “Albert Sutton.” “PCAD - Albert Sutton.”, “Tribune (Published as THE TACOMA NEWS TRIBUNE) - November 19, 1923 - Page 2,” “Tribune (Published as THE TACOMA NEWS TRIBUNE) - September 19, 1922 - Page 24,” “PCAD - Harrison Allen Whitney.” “Tribune (Published as THE TACOMA NEWS TRIBUNE) - September 19, 1922 - Page 24,”

Archivist's note

Andrew Weymouth, 6/12/2022

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places