Richards Studio Photographic Negatives

165-91 1604-5 1651-1 1656-11 1663-2 1663-21 4239-5 41007-2 D92655-5 RSN-36 RSN-37 RSN-01 RSN-02 D145897-82 RSN-03 RSN-04 RSN-05 RSN-06 RSN-07 RSN-08
Results 1 to 20 of 52 Show all

Identity elements

Reference code

2.1.1

Name and location of repository

Level of description

Title

Richards Studio Photographic Negatives

Date(s)

Extent

Name of creator

Biographical history

Turner Richards Studio was founded by Tacoma-born Turner Eugene Richards (1901-1968). (1) The Tacoma-based studio operated from 1919 through 1980 and its output included: moving images, portraits, industrial, society, business, advertising, news, and aerial photography.

The studio was first operated out of the Chamber of Commerce Building (2) where it provided both photograph and moving image services such as the recording of public performances and events for distribution with companies specializing in newsreels. (3) One of these events filmed was a local parade staged for the opening of the 1920 film “Last of the Mohicans” that played before the film at the Victory Theater in Tacoma in 1921. (4)

In 1935 the studio moved its location into the Tacoma Hotel the same year the hotel caught fire. (2) According to the Tacoma News Tribune, two policemen had to keep Turner Richards from entering his shop to save his expensive equipment. "He made several runs for the smoke-filled doorway but was stopped each time by the two policemen". (5) In the late 1930s, Turner Richards traveled to Hollywood to work as a photographer for Warner Brothers Studio. (6) Richards also developed Technicolor and animated films later used in Walt Disney productions. (1)

In the 1940s Richards expanded and opened Nancy’s Baby Portrait Studio located at 736 Pacific Ave in Tacoma. (7) By this time Turner’s sons, Bob and Nelson, became the photographers at their main studio located at 734 Pacific Ave. (8) Richards Studio expanded again in 1963 and opened another portrait studio at Villa Plaza, in Lakewood (9). On Sunday, February 18th, 1968 the Richards’ housekeeper found Turner Richards in his front yard and he is rushed to the hospital where he died. His death was caused by apparent suicide. (10) The Studio was then run by Edmond Paul Richards (1905-1984) and continued to operate until 1980 when it closed. (11) (12)

Content and structure elements

Scope and content

This collection contains a variety of different sized photographic negatives (4x5, 6x8, and 9x12) of Richards Studio photography from roughly 1920s through to the early 1960s. These negatives depict a wide range of commercial subject matter including local clubs and organizations, business and industry, sports, public events, city government.

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use elements

Conditions governing access

Technical access

Conditions governing reproduction

Languages of the material

Scripts of the material

Language and script notes

Finding aids

Custodial history

Immediate source of acquisition

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information

Accruals

Related materials elements

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related archival materials

Related descriptions

Notes element

Specialized notes

Alternative identifier(s)

Rules or conventions

Sources used

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places