Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Equivalent terms


Associated terms


1684 Collections results for Schools

816 results directly related Exclude narrower terms


Mrs. Lou Miller, principal and track coach of Ruston (grade) School, raises her gun to start her three students off running. The boys were practicing for the April, 1928 county grade school meet at Spanaway. Richard Andeson, farthest left, was entering his first meet. Donald Nevers (also spelled Neuens in the News Tribune article) and John Slavich were high point winners of their respective classes last year. Boys were divided into three classes according to weight, height and age. Ruston School planned to enter various dashes, baseball throws and relay races. The school fielded boy and girl track athletes; girls would also enter the Spanaway meet. Mrs. Miller had been coaching for several years with her charges performing admirably in their athletic endeavors. (TNT 4-18-28, p. 14)


The Modern Beauty Academy at 1153 Broadway, Tacoma, trained students in the latest hair styles and beauty secrets for nearly 40 years. A group of graduates are shown here with academy manager, Daniel J. Spellman, center. Founded in 1933, the school closed in 1962.

BOWEN 310-113

A large group of women who are studying to be dental assistants take a class on X-ray techniques from instructor Wayne E. Hampton, standing at far left. The Tacoma location and school have not been identified in this 1931 portrait by photographer Chapin Bowen.


Ground was broken on July 1, 1922 for a modern $200,000 Catholic boys school by the Dominican Sisters on the grounds of the 97 acre country estate of the late J. Shields, "Shangarry." The completed school, Marymount Military Academy (photographed here in 1937), was located in what is now Spanaway. It was a spacious two story structure of five buildings in the Lombardine Mission style. The school housed a modern gym, pool and infirmary as well as surrounding playing fields, stables, tennis courts and shooting ranges. It was the only military school in the state of Washington. In 1974, the school dropped its military appellation and became a boarding school for wealthy families. It closed in 1976. The property was purchased in the 1980's by Harold LeMay, who used much of it to house his antique car collection.


Marymount Military Academy, Spanaway, Washington in January of 1937. Built by the Dominican Sisters, Marymount was the only military school in the state of Washington. It existed for 54 years, originally as a military academy for boys ages 6-16 and later as a boarding school catering to the wealthy. The school closed in 1976. The buildings then housed the mother house for the sisters and a retirement location for them as well. The school was later sold to Harold LeMay, the owner of a Pierce County trash and recycling business and an avid collector of antique motor vehicles.


ca. 1945. Thrift is a community south of Orting in rural Pierce County. Charles & Minnie Thrift began farming in the area about 1893. The Thrift School District later consolidated with the Kapowsin district. It is now part of the Bethel School District, which was created in 1949. This class photo was taken by photographer Chapin Bowen about 1945.

Central School

This is the original Central School, built in 1883 for $18,000 and located at 1114 S Altheimer (then S G St), now the area of Bates Technical College. It was modeled after the Euclid Avenue School of Cleveland, Ohio, by architect Joseph Sherwin of Portland. It stood out along the Tacoma skyline with its 90-foot bell tower visible for miles. The school contained twelve rooms and was considered a showplace for the city. Rapid growth made the enrollment climb to 964 by 1886, taught by a staff of 18 teachers. Remodeling and additions to the school occurred before the school moved its 1000 elementary students to a new Central School located at So. 8th & Tacoma Ave. So. in 1913. The new Central School cost $165,000, almost ten times the cost of the original school. The old Central School was demolished in 1914 and served as a hobo shelter for a few months prior to its demolition. (Olsen: For the Record, p. 47-48-various photographs) King 009, TPL 1103.

Back of photo:
Central school, S.W. corner of S.W. and G. St now the Bates Vocational School Tacoma, Wash.

Annie Wright Seminary, Tacoma, W.T.

This is the original Annie Wright Seminary designed by architects Boone & Meeker as it appeared circa 1886. The private school for girls opened two years before in September of 1884, thanks to its benefactor, Charles B. Wright. The building's foundation came from Wilkeson stone and brick. Its sharp gables and turrets added to the impressive ediface. A gymnasium was added in 1899 and was the sole remaining building left when the school was razed in 1924. Due to growing enrollment, a new campus arose at 827 Tacoma Ave. N. the same year.

Washington College, Tacoma, W.T.

Finishing touches were being put on the newly built Washington College building at 714 Tacoma Ave. So. Thanks to the generosity of Charles B. Wright, money had been donated to start the private school for boys, the male equivalent of Annie Wright Seminary. It opened on September 2, 1886, with an enrollment of 65 boys, half of them day students. The Depression of 1892-93 forced many students to leave and the school closed in 1892. This building later served as the Tacoma High School from 1898 to 1906 when the high school moved to the remodeled Tourist Hotel at N. 1st & E Streets. It was later demolished in the summer of 1912 to make way for the new Central School Building and the site address changed to 601 So. 8th St.

Tacoma High School Class of 1900 with faculty

Members of the Tacoma High School faculty and the senior class, class of 1900, posed on the porch and steps of the school then located at 714 Tacoma Avenue South. The site was the former location of the Washington College, private school for boys. Two students have been identified in the photograph: George (or Georgia) Armstrong and Roy Knapp. Roy Knapp is seated in the second row of steps, second from left, next to an unidentified female. He was the business manager in 1899-1900 for the "Tahoma," the monthly publication of the Tacoma High School students and would pass away in 1906. Two cadets sit on the step railings. They are holding their distinctive hats and appear to be wearing similar clothing, i.e. uniforms. Cadets would participate in drills and would have an armory prepared for their use. KING 012, TPL 1038.


Robert West, Lincoln High School art student, was awarded first place for his "Night Incandescent", he received a $300 full tuition waiver for CPS's art program. Robert Greuger, Stadium High School art student, received second place and a $150 partial tuition waiver. The contest was open to students from Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Montana; out of 11 honorable mentions, 7 were awarded to Tacoma students. View of unidentified group viewing student entries for art competition, possibly College of Puget Sound art judges (T. Times, 1/4/49, p. 9).

Universities & colleges--Tacoma; Competition entries--Tacoma; Contests--Tacoma; Paintings; Art exhibitions--Tacoma; Hats--1940-1950; Clothing & dress--Tacoma--1940-1950; College of Puget Sound (Tacoma)--1940-1950; Alpha Rho Tau (Tacoma);


College of Puget Sound's Art Department and Alpha Rho Tau, College Art Honorary, were sponsoring the first annual High School art competition. The winners would be awarded full or partial scholarships to attend the art program at College of Puget Sound. View of unidentified group viewing student entries for art competition, possibly College of Puget Sound art judges, admiring an abstract painting (T. Times, 1/4/49, p. 9).

Universities & colleges--Tacoma; Contests--Tacoma; Abstract paintings; Competition entries--Tacoma; Art exhibitions--Tacoma; Clothing & dress--Tacoma--1940-1950; College of Puget Sound (Tacoma)--1940-1950; Alpha Rho Tau (Tacoma);


Pacific Lutheran's Choir of the West participated in many concerts throughout the Pacific Northwest, but they also had countless radio performances, broadcasted over KOMO radio in Seattle. The choir had over fifty of the most talented singers and a number of soloists. View of Pacific Lutheran College's Choir of the West, being conducted by Gunnar J. Malmin; student names appear in yearbook (PLC Saga, 1949).

Conducting--Tacoma; Choirs (Music); Events--Tacoma; Concerts--Parkland; Conductors; Universities & colleges--Parkland; Pacific Lutheran College (Parkland)--1940-1950; Choir of the West (Parkland); Malmin, Gunnar J.;


In 1948 Fife's Schools, District # 88, occupied a large campus of buildings on 20th Street East just east of 55th Avenue East. The four major buildings in the complex had been built over a period of 22 years. From left to right are: Fife High School, built in 1930; the Fife Civic Auditorium built in 1924, which served as both a public gathering place and the school gymnasium; the old Fife school, which was built in 1914 and by 1948 was being used for vocational training; and (at the far right) the new Fife Elementary School, which was built in 1936. In 1949 the Fife School District built a new high school, dedicated in 1950.

Public schools--Fife; Educational facilities--Fife; Auditoriums--Fife; Fife High School (Fife); Fife Elementary School (Fife); Fife School District (Fife);


May Day court - Annie Wright School. Although the school's name had changed from Seminary to School, traditions such as May Day still remained. The 1973 May Day Queen Lisa Bean and her royal court posed proudly for their formal portrait on May 12, 1973. Included were senior girls from Iran, Hong Kong and Japan. May Day ceremonies were part of events occurring on parents' weekend. Color photograph ordered by Annie Wright School. (TNT 5-18-73, A-8)

Annie Wright Seminary (Tacoma)--1970-1980; Private schools--Tacoma; Festivals--Tacoma--1970-1980; Bean, Lisa; School children--Tacoma--1970-1980; Students--Tacoma--1970-1980;


36 members of the Adelphian Choir posed for a group portrait on January 9, 1974, in the University of Puget Sound's recital room inside Jacobson Hall. The choral group, founded in 1932, was composed of students from the University of Puget Sound. Each year the Adelphians would perform locally and often tour. Various Adelphian Choirs have performed in the United States, Canada and Europe. The current choir would be the guest singers at the free Tacoma Symphony Orchestra concert on February 13, 1974 at the Temple Theater. Photograph ordered by the University of Puget Sound School of Music.

Adelphian Choral Society (Tacoma); Choirs (Music); Students--Tacoma--1970-1980; University of Puget Sound (Tacoma)--1970-1980;


ca. 1907. Established by the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1888 as Puget Sound University and reorganized in 1903 as the University of Puget Sound, the university opened its first permanent campus at 602 North Sprague Ave. that year. Noted architect George W. Bullard designed the buildings. In 1924 the university moved to its present location at 1500 North Warner and the buildings were demolished. Jason Lee Intermediate (now Middle School) was built on the site of the former campus. From 1914-1959 U.P.S. was known as the College of Puget Sound before resuming its current name.

University of Puget Sound (Tacoma)--1900-1910; Universities & colleges--Tacoma--1900-1910;


John S. Baker Junior High (now Middle School) athletes. This group photographed on Halloween, 1974, in the school's gymnasium is believed to be Baker's wrestling team and coaches. The school mascot, an imposing bulldog statue, occupies a front row spot. Color photograph ordered by Baker Junior High School.

Baker Junior High School (Tacoma); Athletes--Tacoma--1970-1980; Wrestlers--Tacoma;


Long-limbed athletes posed on October 31, 1974, at John S. Baker Junior High (now Middle School). These boys are believed to be the school's basketball team. They are wearing Baker's school colors of maroon and gold with knee length socks. Color photograph ordered by Baker Junior High School.

Baker Junior High School (Tacoma); Athletes--Tacoma--1970-1980; Basketball players--Tacoma--1970-1980;


In March of 1976, as Americans began their year long celebration of the 200th anniversary of the adoption of the Declaration of Independence, children and staff from Custer Elementary School posed before one of the Bicentennial exhibits on display in the school's hallway. Many wore costumes depicting 18th century Colonial fashions. Custer School is located in Lakewood at 7700 Steilacoom Blvd. S.W. The original school was named Custer School after pioneer settler Lesour Custer; it was rebuilt in 1953. Photograph ordered by the Washington State Historical Society.

School children--Lakewood; Costumes;


ca. 1971. Eleven students at John S. Baker Junior High School (now Middle School) posed for a group portrait in early 1971. Three of the students are wearing vests worn by members of the school band. One girl may be wearing African-styled attire. Photograph ordered by Baker Junior High School.

Baker Junior High School (Tacoma); Public schools--Tacoma;


ca. 1971. It was picture day at the John S. Baker Junior High School (now Middle School) when these young girls had their group portrait taken in early 1971. Clothing styles ranged from short dresses to jeans. Nearly all the girls wore their hair long. At that time junior high schools were composed of students in grade 7th-9th. Tacoma School District would not change to the middle school program until the 1980s. Photograph ordered by Baker Junior High School.

Baker Junior High School (Tacoma); Public schools--Tacoma; Clothing & dress--Tacoma--1970-1980;


The 42-member University of Puget Sound Adelphian Choir pose before the stage at Jacobsen Recital Hall on January 5, 1972. This is the same photograph as A161331, image 2, but the background in this particular photograph has not been retouched. Chairs on stage, lights, organs and audience seating all are visible. Photograph ordered by the University of Puget Sound, School of Music.

Adelphian Choral Society (Tacoma); Choirs (Music); Students--Tacoma--1970-1980; University of Puget Sound (Tacoma)--1970-1980;


University of Puget Sound's Adelphian Choir posed for a formal portrait in the school's Recital Hall on January 5, 1972. The men wore traditional black tuxedos while the women were dressed in floor length gowns of deep coral. This photograph has been retouched with the background nearly eliminated in favor of pure white, a method to better emphasize the singers. Photograph ordered by the University of Puget Sound, School of Music.

Adelphian Choral Society (Tacoma); Choirs (Music); Students--Tacoma--1970-1980; University of Puget Sound (Tacoma)--1970-1980;


Students at Jason Lee Junior High School, 602 No. Sprague Ave., study in their school's new science lab on April 18, 1968. Spacious work tables with built-in sinks, bright lighting, wood flooring, and lots of storage capacity were part of the science facility. A PE/industrial arts addition was planned for the near future; this was part of a $264,000 remodeling project. This photograph was used in a News Tribune ad dated May 13, 1968, asking for school bond passage. If the bond passed, similar labs would be built at Stewart, Gray and Mason Junior Highs for $90,000. Photograph ordered by the Citizens Committee for School Support. (TNT ad 5-13-68, p. 6)

Jason Lee Junior High School (Tacoma); Public schools--Tacoma--1960-1970; School children--Tacoma--1960-1970; Laboratories--Tacoma--1960-1970;

Results 1 to 30 of 1684