Schools -- Elementary Schools



Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

Schools -- Elementary Schools

BT Schools

Schools -- Elementary Schools

Equivalent terms

Schools -- Elementary Schools

Associated terms

Schools -- Elementary Schools

78 Collections results for Schools -- Elementary Schools

78 results directly related Exclude narrower terms


Mrs. Lou Miller, principal and track coach of Ruston (grade) School, raises her gun to start her three students off running. The boys were practicing for the April, 1928 county grade school meet at Spanaway. Richard Andeson, farthest left, was entering his first meet. Donald Nevers (also spelled Neuens in the News Tribune article) and John Slavich were high point winners of their respective classes last year. Boys were divided into three classes according to weight, height and age. Ruston School planned to enter various dashes, baseball throws and relay races. The school fielded boy and girl track athletes; girls would also enter the Spanaway meet. Mrs. Miller had been coaching for several years with her charges performing admirably in their athletic endeavors. (TNT 4-18-28, p. 14)


ca. 1945. Thrift is a community south of Orting in rural Pierce County. Charles & Minnie Thrift began farming in the area about 1893. The Thrift School District later consolidated with the Kapowsin district. It is now part of the Bethel School District, which was created in 1949. This class photo was taken by photographer Chapin Bowen about 1945.

Central School

This is the original Central School, built in 1883 for $18,000 and located at 1114 S Altheimer (then S G St), now the area of Bates Technical College. It was modeled after the Euclid Avenue School of Cleveland, Ohio, by architect Joseph Sherwin of Portland. It stood out along the Tacoma skyline with its 90-foot bell tower visible for miles. The school contained twelve rooms and was considered a showplace for the city. Rapid growth made the enrollment climb to 964 by 1886, taught by a staff of 18 teachers. Remodeling and additions to the school occurred before the school moved its 1000 elementary students to a new Central School located at So. 8th & Tacoma Ave. So. in 1913. The new Central School cost $165,000, almost ten times the cost of the original school. The old Central School was demolished in 1914 and served as a hobo shelter for a few months prior to its demolition. (Olsen: For the Record, p. 47-48-various photographs) King 009, TPL 1103.

Back of photo:
Central school, S.W. corner of S.W. and G. St now the Bates Vocational School Tacoma, Wash.


This Brookdale Elementary School teacher appears to have called upon one little longhaired girl for her response to the "Bossy R" lesson in this Valentine Day, 1962, photograph. Children in this classroom were seated in the new portable building built extensively out of wood. Brookdale Elementary was built for the Franklin Pierce School District in 1957; classrooms could be added at a reasonable cost using wooden portables that were both modern and appealing to the eye. Photograph ordered by Douglas Fir Plywood Association.

Brookdale Elementary School (Parkland); Public schools--Parkland--1960-1970; Classrooms--Parkland; School children--Parkland--1960-1970; Teachers--Parkland;


Cheerful wooden cut-outs of children playing greet the pupils of Brookdale Elementary School who attend classes in the new portable building on February 16, 1962. Wide wooden steps with hand railings lead to the classroom door. Brookdale Elementary is in the Franklin Pierce School District and located at 611 - 132nd St. So. in Parkland. The new portable is situated close to the original brick buildings and next to the school playground. It was built with the assistance of Douglas Fir Plywood Association. A portable classroom was constructed about the same time at James Sales Elementary; the units were built with different methods and time and motion studies taken to compare scientifically. Photograph ordered by Douglas Fir Plywood Association. (TNT 11-22-61, p. 12)

Brookdale Elementary School (Parkland); Public schools--Parkland--1960-1970;


Side-and-rear view of new portable classroom at Brookdale Elementary School on February 16, 1962. Small shrubs have been planted at the corners of the classroom which is located next to the school's fenced playground. The portable, in contrast to the original 1957 school buildings, is made extensively of wood. There is no concrete foundation and the overall look is very contemporary and sleek. A wooden overhang guards the classroom from too-bright sunshine, and some of the windows are louvered. Photograph ordered by Douglas Fir Plywood Association. (TNT 11-22-61, p. 12)

Brookdale Elementary School (Parkland); Public schools--Parkland--1960-1970;


Portable building at Brookdale Elementary School. Brookdale Elementary is part of the Franklin Pierce School District and located in the Parkland area at 611 - 132nd St. So. It was built in 1957. Several years later, the Douglas Fir Plywood Association assisted in building a new portable for the school to handle the growing enrollment. The classroom would fulfill the need for remedial instruction and music class space. The portable could easily be moved and would accommodate 30 students. View of newly completed portable taken on February 16, 1962, shows extensive use of wood in contrast to original brick school in the rear. Photograph ordered by Douglas Fir Plywood Association. (TNT 11-22-61, p. 12)

Brookdale Elementary School (Parkland); Public schools--Parkland--1960-1970;


View of new portable classroom at Brookdale Elementary School, taken on February 16, 1962. The new structure, to the farthest right, is built extensively out of wood. It includes an overhang to provide shade on one side of the portable. Brookdale Elementary, located in the Franklin Pierce School District, was built in 1957, primarily out of brick. Douglas Fir Plywood Association helped in the building of the portable for Brookdale as well as one for James Sales Elementary. The units could hold 30 students and could be used until permanent structures could be built. Photograph ordered by Douglas Fir Plywood Association. (TNT 11-22-61, p. 12)

Brookdale Elementary School (Parkland); Public schools--Parkland--1960-1970;


A Brookdale Elementary School teacher happily accepts a bouquet of posies from a young student at the doorway of a new portable classroom in August, 1962. Two buzz-cut boys holding books await their turn to greet the teacher. The portable building is colorfully decorated in bright, vibrant shades of blue and pink with brown cutouts of children playing on the school walls. Portable buildings were a welcome addition to schools coping with growing populations.

Brookdale Elementary School (Parkland); Public schools--Parkland; School children--Parkland; Teachers--Parkland;


View of Lowell Elementary School. The roots of Lowell School run deep as it is the Tacoma School District's oldest school. Established in 1869, and originally known as the First Ward School, it served families living west of Division Avenue in Old Tacoma. After moving to several locations, it was renamed Lowell after the American poet James Russell Lowell in 1890. A new Lowell School was built in 1950 on North 13th & Yakima Sts. as the nearly sixty year old Lowell, located a block away, was condemned following the 1949 earthquake. Students were moved into the new classrooms in November, 1950, although total construction was not completed until February, 1951. Photograph ordered by Bonnell Construction. (Olsen: For the Record, p. 43)

Lowell Elementary School (Tacoma)--Buildings; Public schools--Tacoma--1950-1960;


Idlewild Elementary School was located in Lakewood at 10806 Idlewild Rd. S.W. , a part of the Clover Park School District. James E. Rediske was listed as principal in the 1958 Tacoma Suburban Directory. The school's buildings were clustered together; they all seemed to be of modern style and one-story in nature. The largest building with a steep roof shown in this March 4, 1958, photograph appeared to be the auditorium. Idlewild followed the new trend in wood framing and glue-lam beams for school construction. 70,000 feet of fir plywood was used for roof decking. Donald Burr was the architect for the project; Strom Construction was the contractor. Photograph ordered by Penman Neil, Inc. (TNT 2-9-58, A-19)

Idlewild Elementary School (Lakewood); Public schools--Lakewood;


School is almost out for these eighth graders at Bryant School in June of 1924. The elementary school, located at 708 South Ainsworth Avenue, was named after poet and journalist William Cullen Bryant. It would close in 1961. G46.1-063

Bryant Elementary School (Tacoma); Public schools--Tacoma--1920-1930; School children--Tacoma--1920-1930;


This is Miss Anna B. Quigley's 6A class standing in front of the entrance to Lowell School, 1210 North Yakima Avenue, in June of 1924. Two girls in the front row hold a scroll indicating that the class was a "Savings Banner Room." The scroll was given by the Education Thrift Service headquartered in New York. Each Tuesday was banking day at Tacoma Public Schools and each week Miss Quigley's class had the greatest percentage of depositors at Lowell. Her class were perennial winners. TPL-2331; G46.1-105 (Tacoma Sunday Ledger, 6-15-24, 4-A)

Lowell Elementary School (Tacoma); Public schools--Tacoma--1920-1930; School children--Tacoma--1920-1930; Teachers--Tacoma--1920-1930; Quigley, Anna B.;


In 1922, small children lined up by wooden school desks to participate in a flag salute at an unidentified Eatonville grade school. This may have been a first or second grade class. School had only been in session since the beginning part of September so these small pupils could still have been learning school routines. G46.1-053

School children--Eatonville; Elementary schools--Eatonville; Public schools--Eatonville; Flags--United States; Flag salutes--Eatonville; Saluting--Eatonville;


Miss Berg's first grade class at Lowell School. The children are all clutching small postcard-sized cards while one young man waits with an open bag. The classroom flag is hoisted by a boy dressed neatly in suit and tie. Miss Berg would later teach third grade at Lowell where one of her pupils was George Weyerhaeuser, victim in the 1935 famous kidnapping. TPL-5797; G46.1-054

School children--Tacoma--1920-1930; Lowell Elementary School (Tacoma); Public schools--Tacoma--1920-1930; Berg, Lucille; Teachers--Tacoma--1920-1930; Flags--United States;


This photograph of the intersection of 12th St. and North Yakima Avenue, looking north on Yakima, was taken on September 3, 1927, for court evidence involving an automobile accident. Further information on the case was not provided. Lowell (Elementary) School is on the left, just past the lamppost, at 1210 North Yakima Ave. It would be demolished after sustaining major damage in the 1949 earthquake and the school rebuilt at 810 North 13th St. G62.1-130

Streets--Tacoma--1920-1930; Lowell Elementary School (Tacoma)--Buildings;


Seven small children stand in front of the massive Roosevelt Elementary School, 3550 E. Roosevelt Ave., on January 12, 1928. This was the second building on this site as the original structure, built in 1904, was sold and removed upon the construction of a new brick building in 1921. Roosevelt Elementary was named in honor of President Theodore Roosevelt. The second Roosevelt Elementary would be subsequently remodeled and added onto in later years. BU-11341

Roosevelt Elementary School (Tacoma); Public schools--Tacoma--1920-1930;


This is Madison Elementary School, 3102 South 43rd St., as seen in January of 1928. The six-room school, designed by architects Hill & Mock, was completed in October of 1924 at a cost of approximately $35,000. It had replaced two portable buildings on the same site. The school doubled in size in 1957 and improvements made in 1967 and 1979. Madison is no longer an elementary school but currently houses Headstart and Early Childhood Education programs. BU-11,329 (Olsen: For the Record, p. 119)

Madison Elementary School (Tacoma); Public schools--Tacoma--1920-1930;


These two small portable buildings made up Larchmont Elementary School in 1928. Parents in the Larchmont area had asked for a school in their neighborhood as far back as 1915 as they felt Fern Hill School was not within walking distance for small children. In 1920 the School Board authorized purchase of 2 1/2 acres of land near South 96th & B Streets for $2000 and placed one portable on the property. Another portable and a second teacher were added in 1924 due to increased enrollment. Larchmont was closed in 1932 during the Great Depression and reopened in 1935 only as a primary school, serving grades one through three. It closed again in 1939 and structures removed. The school opened once again in 1953, again in portables, but it was not until 1969 when a new "one-room" school was built at 8601 East B. G46.1-095 (Olsen: For the Record, p. 117-118-article)

Larchmont Elementary School (Tacoma); Public schools--Tacoma--1920-1930;


ca. 1901. Sepia photograph of a Lincoln Elementary School class in 1901. Standing on the steps of Lincoln Elementary are numerous students; in the third row, second from the left is reportedly Jeston Reed Foss. Originally named West School, construction began on the new school at 1610 South K Street (now MLK Way) in 1887. It was renamed in honor of President Abraham Lincoln in 1889. The school began as a two-room school with two grades; by 1890, it had four grades and five teachers. The school was closed and demolished in 1938. Most of the students and staff were transferred to McCarver Junior High where they joined students from Longfellow to form a new elementary school. Others were assigned to either Central or Stanley schools. (Olsen: For the Record, p. 57) (note: the same photograph is identified in Olsen's book as Hawthorne School)

Lincoln Elementary School (Tacoma); Public schools--Tacoma--1900-1910; School children--Tacoma;


Diverse group of schoolchildren posing next to buses in front of the First Assembly of God Church.


Stanley Grade School under construction in September of 1925 at South 17th and Grant Avenue. At the end of November of 1925, 300 students from southend schools, Lincoln, Longfellow and Irving, moved into the spacious new school built to accomodate 480. The school, designed by architect G.W. Bullard, had twelve classrooms and was built for approximately $90,000. It was two stories with a basement and built solidly of brick. The school was named after George A. Stanley, Central School principal for 27 years and one of the Northwest's leading educators. In June of 1983, the main part of the school was declared unsafe in case of an earthquake and the school was officially closed. (WSHS- negative A855-0) (TNT 9/3/1925, pg. 17; TNT 11/27/1925, pg. 13)

Stanley Elementary School (Tacoma); Public schools--Tacoma--1920-1930; Building construction--Tacoma--1920-1930;


Graduating Class at Lincoln School. The class consists of 19, 13 boys and 6 girls. Lincoln was closed in 1938 and most of the students were transferred to McCarver. (WSHS)

Students--Tacoma--1920-1930; Lincoln Elementary School (Tacoma);


Lincoln School graduating class, January 1925. The class consists of 19, six girls and 13 boys. Some of the students are also in A612-0. (WSHS- negative A642-0)

Students--Tacoma--1920-1930; Lincoln Elementary School (Tacoma);


Lincoln School graduating class, January of 1925. Same group as A image 642, also A612-0. (WSHS- negative A643-0)

Students--Tacoma--1920-1930; Lincoln Elementary School (Tacoma);


Sherman School 6A class. Children in front of school with teacher, possibly Professor Brown, in June of 1927. Sherman was built at this location in 1891 and was named in honor of Civil War Union Army general William Tecumseh Sherman. It was razed in 1953. (WSHS)

Sherman Elementary (Tacoma); Public schools--Tacoma--1920-1930; School children--Tacoma--1920-1930; Group portraits; Education--Tacoma;


Lincoln School 6A class. Lincoln School was built in 1887 from a design by C.N. Daniels. The school was originally named West School, but underwent a name change to Lincoln in 1889. It was demolished in 1938. (WSHS)

Students--Tacoma--1920-1930; Lincoln Elementary School (Tacoma);


Pets of all kinds were on display at the annual Spanaway School pet show held on Wednesday May 15, 1940. The unidentified little girl at the far left, standing next to a very young Uncle Sam, is holding a dog dressed in a shirt with a frilly collar and overalls. The girl at the right holds a bicycle decorated with crepe paper streamers. Spanaway Elementary School was built in 1927 at 15600 East B Street. It was torn down shortly after the Chester H. Thompson Elementary School opened in 1969. (T. Times 5/17/1940 p.8)

Spanaway Elementary School (Spanaway); School children--Spanaway; Pets; Animal shows--Spanaway; Bicycles & tricycles--Spanaway; Costumes;


Pet Parade at Spanaway School. Pets of all types were exhibited at the annual pet show May 15, 1940 at Spanaway School. Photograph shows most of the winners of the various events. Large group of children dressed in costumes with their dogs. Exterior of one-story school building in background. Active boys are climbing on building and hanging from roof while teachers concentrate on parade group. (T. Times 5/17/1940, pg. 8)

Spanaway Elementary School (Spanaway); School children--Spanaway; Pets; Animal shows--Spanaway; Parades & processions--Spanaway; Bicycles & tricycles--Spanaway; Costumes;

Results 1 to 30 of 78