Name and location of repository
Level of description
Talmud Torah Synagogue
- 12/8/1924 (Creation)
Content and structure elements
Scope and content
Twelve technical drawings for the Talmud Torah Synagogue, created by Hill & Mock on December 8, 1924. The structure, originally named Chevra Talmud Torah, was located at S 4th and I street, facing towards Wright Park. The synagogue was renamed the Sinai Temple in 1947 and a merging of congregations in the 1960s led to the creation of a new synagogue, the Temple Beth El, in 1968. The structure was donated to the Tacoma Blood Bank before being demolished in the 1970s.
Irwin (sometimes Irwyn) Horatio Hill was born in Illinois and graduated from the University of Illinois and Chicago Art Institute. After moving to Tacoma in 1903, Hill partnered with George Bullard, then Woodroofe and Griffin, then Hill, Mock & Griffin and finally Mock & Morrison. Hill was a member of the Tacoma Park Board and the Tacoma Rotary Club.
Ernest Thornton Mock is one of the few other architects in this collection that were born in Tacoma. Mock apprenticed for twelve years under Bullard & Russell before partnering with Irwin H. Hill and Jack Griffin in 1918. When Griffin left to pursue contracts in Lewis County, he was replaced by Nelson J. Morrison and shared a space in the Perkins Building. Mock's death in 1950 inspired the 88th annual reunion of the Scottish Rite Masons in Tacoma, to honor his 25 years of service.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use elements
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Languages of the material
Scripts of the material
Language and script notes
Acquisition and appraisal elements
Immediate source of acquisition
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related archival materials
Rules or conventions
“The News Tribune - February 16, 1925 - Page 10,” "Tacoma Daily Ledger - April 20, 1924 - Page 34", College Park Historic District National Register of Historic Places Nomination - Page 12, “Hill, Irwyn H. - Local History & Biography Index - Northwest Room Collections.”, “Tribune (Published as THE TACOMA NEWS TRIBUNE) - February 16, 1925 - Page 10,”, “Tribune (Published as THE TACOMA NEWS TRIBUNE) - April 25, 1927 - Page 28,”, Historic Preservation Resource Guide - July 2021 - Page 23, College Park Historic District National Register of Historic Places Nomination - Page 14, “PCAD - Ernest Thornton Mock Sr.”, “Richards Studio D141770-15.”, “Tribune (Published as THE TACOMA NEWS TRIBUNE) - February 16, 1925 - Page 10,”, "Tribune (published as THE TACOMA NEWS TRIBUNE) - April 25, 1950 - page 9"