Type of entity
Authorized form of name
The Woman's Club
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The Woman's Club was launched on October 27th, 1904 in the home of Mrs. J.Q. Mason and led by president Reverend Abbie E. Danforth. Danforth, appointed in 1889, was one of the first female reverends in North America. Danforth had been a pastor at the Park Universalist Church since 1902 after moving west from the Unitarian Church of Kent, OH.
Among the club's contributions to Tacoma were the creation of a female owned and operated "rest room," designed to be a "place offering almost retirement of home during unemployment hours" which would "prove a boon to hundreds of women and girls in Tacoma." The "rest room" appears to have been organized by Danforth in order to do for "women what the Y.M.C.A. is doing for men." This association with temperance groups continued in August 1913 when Danforth was elected president of the Women's Christian Temperance Union. The "rest room" was located in the Chamber of Commerce building on December 3, 1904 and led directly to The Woman's Club Hotel, which would open a year later. This institution, also open only to female patrons, was located nearby at 714 Pacific Avenue.
The Woman's Club also opened a physical clubhouse on 426 Broadway St. in 1915, intended to create a physical meeting space for all of the federated study clubs in the city, which remained extant until 1960. That said, Mrs. Abbie E. Danforth is still recorded hosting the final meeting of the Woman's Study Club in May 1965 from her home at 1322 N. Yakima St. The motto of The Woman's Club was "there is no higher duty than to work for the good of the whole world."
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Access points area
Subject access points
Place access points
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Written by Andrew Weymouth, 2022
Tacoma Daily News (Published as THE TACOMA DAILY NEWS) - April 25, 1905 - Page 4. p. 1.
Tacoma Daily News (Published as THE TACOMA DAILY NEWS) - December 3, 1904 - Page 7. p. 1.
Tacoma Daily News (Published as THE TACOMA DAILY NEWS) - December 3, 1904 - Page 14. p. 1.
Tacoma Daily News (Published as THE TACOMA DAILY NEWS) - January 13, 1904 - Page 3. p. 1.
Tacoma Daily News (Published as THE TACOMA DAILY NEWS) - June 11, 1904 - Page 17. p. 1.
Tacoma Daily News (Published as THE TACOMA DAILY NEWS.) - May 14, 1904 - Page 19. p. 1.
Tacoma Daily News (Published as THE TACOMA DAILY NEWS) - October 28, 1904 - Page 6. p. 1.
Tacoma Daily News (Published as THE TACOMA DAILY NEWS) - October 29, 1904 - Page 7. p. 1.
Tribune (Published as Tacoma News Tribune and Sunday Ledger) - November 28, 1976 - Page 16. p. 1.
Tribune (Published as THE NEWS TRIBUNE) - August 26, 1963 - Page 16. p. 1.
Tribune (Published as THE TACOMA NEWS TRIBUNE) - May 5, 1965 - Page 23. p. 1.
Unitarian-Universalist Church of Kent Records | Special Collections and Archives | Kent State University Libraries. https://www.library.kent.edu/special-collections-and-archives/unitarian-universalist-church-kent-records. Accessed 27 Jan. 2022.