Showing 317 results

Collections
Richards Studio Photographs Places of Worship Image
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

317 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

D49217-2

Eunice Allen is teaching a weekday Bible class to younger students at Calvary Baptist Church. Weekday church schools were provided through the sponsorship of the Tacoma Council of Churches and were held in various parts of the city with 60 churches participating. Ordered by the Tacoma Council of Churches, Reverend Loyal Vickers. (TNT, 4/16/1950, p.A-4)


Calvary Baptist Church (Tacoma); Sunday schools--Tacoma--1950-1960; Children--Tacoma--1950-1960; Allen, Eunice; Tacoma Council of Churches (Tacoma);

D49887-2

Making the first block for their new church, Church of Jesus Christ LDS. Several members of the Mormon Church, men, women and children, have gathered to make the blocks with which they will build their new church. They are standing outside a corrugated metal building in an unimproved lot.


Mormon churches--Tacoma; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Tacoma); Church membership--Tacoma; Building construction--Tacoma--1950-1960; Building materials;

D51069-3

After picture of new roof on First Congregational Church. Blair Construction, 3022 South 38th. This exterior photograph of the First Congregational Church, taken on July 10, 1950, shows portions of the new roof, the work of Blair Construction. Arched windows with stained glass adorn the stone building located at Division and J.


Congregational churches--Tacoma; First Congregational Church (Tacoma); Roofs--Tacoma; Stone buildings--Tacoma; Stained glass--Tacoma; Blair Construction Co. (Tacoma);

D34865-14

Wedding party at altar at St. Patrick's Catholic Church. Dorothy Blanche Gourley and Robert Frank Mennitti were married during the late summer with Reverend Father Buckman and 250 guests. Dorothy, the daughter of Earl B. and Elsie L. Gourley and Robert, the son of Rocco J. and Jennie Minnitti, were both graduates of Stadium High School. Robert had also graduated from the College of Puget Sound. (T.Times, 9/7/1948, p.6)


St. Patrick's Catholic Church (Tacoma); Catholic churches--Tacoma; Altars--Tacoma; Mennitti, Robert Frank; Gourley, Dorothy Blanche; Weddings--Tacoma--1940-1950; Brides--1940-1950; Grooms (Weddings)--1940-1950; Wedding costume--1940-1950;

D35450-1

St. Leo's new convent at 13th and G Streets, Times, Father Krebsbach. The new convent of the Sisters of St. Francis was nearly complete and St. Leo's held an Open House September 26, 1948. Construction of the new convent, adjoining St. Leo's church, was begun March 1, 1948, and was expected to be complete the end of September at a cost of $125,000. The building contained 22 rooms in addition to the library, kitchen, community room and laundry facilities. A two-story arch surrounded the main doorway and a round window decorated the corner of the facade. A cross is placed at the peak of the roofline. (T.Times, 9/25/1948, p.1)


St. Leo's Catholic Church (Tacoma); Catholic churches--Tacoma; Sisters of St. Francis Convent (Tacoma); Convents--Tacoma; Arches--Tacoma; Windows--Tacoma; Crosses;

A38163-4

Holroyd Company, Bethlehem Lutheran Church. A view of the new sanctuary of the Bethlehem Lutheran Church. Open beams are shown with a wooden ceiling beyond. The altar stands against the far wall. The interior of the church was photographed on February 1, 1949.


Bethlehem Lutheran Church (Tacoma); Lutheran churches--Tacoma; Altars--Tacoma; Ceilings--Tacoma;

D44621-6

Bethlehem Baptist Church was celebrating the 10th anniversary of their pastor, Reverend Edward Byard Wilson, in August of 1949. View of Reverend Wilson, who is joined by his wife, Allie, friends, and other church members. TPL-5783


Baptist churches--Tacoma; Banquets--Tacoma--1940-1950; Rites & ceremonies--Tacoma--1940-1950; African American churches--Tacoma; Bethlehem Baptist Church (Tacoma); Wilson, Edward Byard; Clergy--Tacoma; Wilson, Allie;

A75690-2

The congregation at the new Who So Ever Will Come chapel listened to music performed by members on accordion, tambourine and guitar on a Sunday afternoon in June, 1953. View from rear of church shows narrowness of room with Pastor Louis Kephart and musicians on elevated stage. The 1954 City Directory listed the church under "Other Denominations"; it apparently was not affiliated with any major Protestant group. The church was celebrating its opening service at the Pacific Avenue location on June 7; later that evening evangelist R. James Vaughn would be conducting a Holy Ghost revival. (TNT 6-6-53, p. 7 -Ad)


Churches--Tacoma--1950-1960; Who So Ever Will Come (Tacoma); Kephart, Louis;

A77846-1

Church of God in Christ banquet. The congregation is gathered for a banquet to honor some occasion, possibly a wedding, as a woman in white formal dress sits left of the center column. The room can be divided into sections by curtains and framed photos adorn the back wall. This building was built in 1890 as a boarding house and in the 30's served as the location of the Japanese Baptist Mission. (building information from TPL building index)


Church of God in Christ (Tacoma); Churches--Tacoma--1950-1960; African Americans;

A82148-4

Interior of new Asbury United Methodist Church. The Holroyd Co., manufacturers of concrete blocks and other building materials, apparently were suppliers of materials used in building the new Asbury United Methodist Church on South 56th and Puget Sound. The church had been in existence since 1891; the entire building had been moved to its present location from South 56th and Warner Street nearby. In 1954 a new church building was constructed and the old one razed. Rev. Robert G. Albertson was the pastor at that time. View of church's interior facing the altar; wooden beams and interior wall are curved into arch shapes and there is a piano in the right portion of the photograph. Rows of folding chairs are empty and ready for parishioners; there are no pews.


Asbury United Methodist Church (Tacoma); Methodist churches--Tacoma; Holroyd Co. (Tacoma);

A107679-3

ca. 1957. According to the History of Pierce County, Vol. 1, the congregation of the First Presbyterian Church predates the official founding of the City of Tacoma. Seven people met on July 27, 1873, to establish the "Tacoma Presbyterian Church," eight months before the authorization of a town government. In its long history, church members have worshipped in one town hall and three church edifices. The magnificent Romanesque building was designed by noted church architect, Ralph Adams Cram of Boston; it was dedicated on September 20, 1925. In 1984, a new Swiss tower clock was added to the structure. Photograph ordered by First Presbyterian Church. (History of Pierce County, Vol. 1, p. 450) TPL-10105


First Presbyterian Church (Tacoma); Presbyterian churches--Tacoma;

A109610-33

Interior of church. The sanctuary of this simple church is highlighted by the V-shaped ceilings, made of laminated wood, perhaps provided by Rilco Laminated Products, Inc. Looking directly from the preacher's pulpit, a large window, possibly stained glass, adds more light to complement the unusual chandeliers. The location and identity of this church is not known. Photograph ordered by Rilco Laminated Products, Inc.


Churches; Rilco Laminated Products, Inc. (Tacoma);

A112456-11

The Calvary Baptist Church on South C St., near Pacific Avenue, had a large auditorium built in its auxiliary building next to the church. Open beam ceilings and multiple windows accentuated the spaciousness of the room. The linoleum flooring had shuffleboard and a checkered square imprinted on it. A small stage with two plants is next to the piano. A loudspeaker is positioned on top of a tall cabinet. Calvary Baptist has been a long-time presence in Tacoma; the church celebrated its 100th anniversary in 1999. Photograph ordered by Rilco Laminated Products, Inc.


Calvary Baptist Church (Tacoma); Baptist churches--Tacoma; Protestant churches--Tacoma; Auditoriums--Tacoma;

A85931-3

Interior of church. Simple pews, a small podium, and an Andrew Kohler piano present an intimate setting for the University Place Assembly of God church. A poster of Jesus along with religious wall hangings adorn the paneled walls. The church was located at Mountain View Avenue and South 29th Street. Edwin Oster was listed in the 1954 City Directory as the church's pastor.


University Place Assembly of God (University Place); Protestant churches--University Place; Churches--University Place; Pianos;

D89407-20

Dedication of the new Sacred Heart Catholic Church, photograph ordered by the Catholic Northwest Progress. Prior to entering the church, the parishioners were invited to observe the blessing and laying of the cornerstone by the Most Rev. Thomas A. Connolly, Archbishop of Seattle. The new church and rectory were built of reinforced concrete with brick facing at a cost of $316,000. The church also had a convent and parochial school, run by the Sisters of Providence, on the grounds. In 1955, the parish had 600 families and the school had 376 pupils. (TNT 3/18/1955, pg. A-5)


Sacred Heart Church (Tacoma); Catholic churches--Tacoma;

A91536-21

A special mass is celebrated at St. Ann's Catholic Church honoring the Rev. J. F. Milner on the 25th anniversary of his ordination to the priesthood. The Most Rev. Thomas A. Connolly, Archbishop of Seattle, presided. Milner was born in Dunmanway, County Cork, and studied for the priesthood in Ireland. He was ordained All Hallows June 22, 1930 at 23 years of age. He was named pastor of St. Anns in 1943. Under his direction, many improvements were made in the church and parish hall. The new school and convent were nearing completion at the time of his Silver Jubilee. (TNT 6/25/1955, pg. 4)


St. Ann's Catholic Church (Tacoma); Catholic churches--Tacoma; Milner, J.F.;

A93722-1

The congregation of the Tacoma Japanese Methodist Church posed for a group portrait on November 27, 1955. A banner reading "Forward with Christ" is placed before them. There appear to be many young people in the congregation. Rev. Alpha H. Takagi was listed in the 1955 City Directory as pastor. The church underwent a name change to Whitney Memorial United Methodist Church in the 1960's but later closed in 1999 due to declining attendance. It had served Japanese-American families for more than 90 years, from its start in 1907 as a mission society for Japanese immigrants. The church was closed from 1942 to 1946 due to the war; membership increased following the reopening with the return of those in relocation camps. The University of Washington purchased the church and property in October, 1999, with plans to develop its Tacoma campus. (TNT 12-11-99, p. 1)


Tacoma Japanese Methodist Church (Tacoma); Whitney Memorial United Methodist Church (Tacoma); Protestant churches--Tacoma; Japanese Americans--Tacoma;

Results 301 to 317 of 317