Showing 2051 results

Collections
Marvin Boland Photographs
Print preview View:

2043 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Marvin Boland Photographs

  • 2.1.6

Includes photographs related to a wide variety of local events and locations taken by Marvin Boland between the 1910s through the 1930s.

Marvin D. Boland

BOLAND G23.1-138

Photo-collage by Marvin Boland of photographs that he took at the First Annual Rotary Fair held on October 31, 1919. This industrial fair for Rotary Club members and friends featured 150 exhibits promoting local professions and businesses. It was held in Stadium High School's gymnasium where the slogan of the fair was "Rotarians, Buy at Home." Because the fair was so successful, mention was made that a larger exhibition might be held later for the general public. Dr. H. J. Whitacre was the Rotary president at that time. (TDL 10-17-19, p. 3-article; TDL 10-31-19, p. 1-article)


Rotary Fair (Tacoma); Exhibits--Tacoma--1910-1920;

BOLAND G51.1-077

On July 4th, 1919, the Tacoma Speedway was packed with 35,000 racing fanatics for the annual races. The Speedway was one of two "Class A" racing locations in the United States, the other being Indianapolis. It was also a favorite of the drivers because of the abundant recreation opportunities of the area. Three races would be held on this day, 40 miles, 60 miles and 80 miles. By 1919, the track was 2 miles round and 50 feet wide, an adjustment done in 1914, and covered with 2 x 4 Washington fir planks laid end to end with gravel and sand filling the gaps and barrels of Richmond road oil applied hot to the surface. Indianapolis had shut down due to World War I and all the greats came to Tacoma. The five drivers surviving after the trials were Louis Chevrolet, Dario Resta (both in Tacoma for the first time,) Cliff Durant, Eddie Hearne and Ralph Mulford (in his first Tacoma appearance since 1913.) Eddie Rickenbacker, WW I flying ace and former race car driver, would referee the race. (TDL 7/2/1919, pg. 8-9) (Information on track construction: Standard Oil Bulletin, Vol. 3, circa 1915) Boland B2066, Speedway-025


Tacoma Speedway (Lakewood); Racetracks--Lakewood--1910-1920; Automobile racing--Lakewood--1910-1920; Spectators; Grandstands;

BOLAND G51.1-083

The stands look a little empty for the start of the July 3, 1914, InterCity 100-mile race at the Tacoma Speedway. Drivers and their accompanying "mechanicians" are lined up in their race cars two abreast. These included at front: Tacoma driver Jack Croston in car #1, a Chevrolet; #2 -believed to be Barnes in his Romano; #5 -Joe Thomas in his Mercer; #26 - N. Latta of Seattle in his Lozier. This particular race was restricted to cars from Pacific Northwest cities. Total prize money was $1500 with first place winner Jim Parsons getting the lion's share of $750. Mr. Parsons, of Seattle, had won the event for the second straight year. TPL-5697;


Croston, Jack A.; Thomas, Joe; Tacoma Speedway (Lakewood); Racetracks--Lakewood--1910-1920; Automobile racing--Lakewood--1910-1920; Chevrolet automobile; Mercer automobile; Lozier automobile; Romano automobile;

BOLAND G51.1-085

ca. 1914. Jim Parsons' #7 Frantz race car is parked in the pit area of the Tacoma Speedway circa 1914 while a vehicle carrying a load of tires slowly backs in front of it. Other tires have already been unloaded and are piled upright nearby. The grandstands are nearly empty indicating this may have been practice time at the Speedway instead of the actual July races. Jim Parsons, from Seattle, would go on to win the InterCity 100 race three consecutive years, 1913-1915, allowing him to keep the perpetual challenge trophy. TPL-4424


Tacoma Speedway (Lakewood); Racetracks--Lakewood--1910-1920; Automobile racing--Lakewood--1910-1920; Racing automobiles--1910-1920; Frantz automobile; Tires; Grandstands--Lakewood;

BOLAND G51.1-092

ca. 1915. Although photographer Marvin Boland has labeled the driver as "Earl Cooper" in his "Stutz," and the condition of the Tacoma Speedway board track identifies it as being post-1913 (the last year of the dirt track), it is not certain that this was a race during the 1915 Montamara Festo. In 1915 Mr. Cooper came in a close second during the Montamarathon on July 4th, as he attempted to win the big 250-mile race for the third consecutive year. He did run a Stutz in that year but it was the #8, not the #4 shown above. He earned $1500 for second place, sandwiched between the winner, Grover Ruckstell and Mr. Ruckstell's Mercer racing partner, Eddie Pullen, who came in third. TPL-4423


Cooper, Earl; Tacoma Speedway (Lakewood); Racetracks--Lakewood--1910-1920; Automobile racing--Lakewood--1910-1920; Stutz automobile;

BOLAND G51.1-097

Encouraged by 16,000 screaming racecar fans, three cars rush to the finish line in the "Golden Potlatch," one of two races run on July 5th, 1913 at the Tacoma Speedway. The race was 200 miles, 58 laps of 3.516 miles each, run on a dirt track and open to Class "E" non-stock cars with a winner's purse of $3,500. Earl Cooper and his white Stutz won the race in 1913 after "Terrible Teddie" Tetzlaff dropped from the lead with a broken cam shaft. Cooper's time was 2:49:32. 1913 was a victorious year for Cooper; he won 7 of 8 major road races and claimed his first national championship. The Tacoma Speedway racetrack had opened in July of 1912, financed by a group of Tacoma businessmen led by Arthur Pritchard, President of the Tacoma Automobile Association. During its years of operation, 1912-1922, most of racing's greats sped around the track, which was rated one of the three best in the United States. TPL-5481, Speedway Glass- 020 (TDL 7/6/1913, pg. 1, www.historylink.org, www.hickoksports.com)


Tacoma Speedway (Lakewood); Racetracks--Lakewood--1910-1920; Automobile racing--Lakewood--1910-1920;

BOLAND G51.1-099

The Mercer racing team had a very successful journey to the Tacoma Speedway in July of 1915 as young Grover Ruckstell won the big 250-mile Montamarathon on the 4th with Eddie Pullen in third place and Mr. Pullen emerging victorious in the 200-mile Golden Potlatch race the following day. Mr. Pullen is shown waving his arm to the thrilled crowd as he prevented the 1913 titleholder, Earl Cooper in his Stutz, from recapturing the title. Mr. Pullen's winning time of 2:21:14 paid off with $1500 and the Golden Potlatch trophy. 1915 also saw the first appearance of veteran driver Barney Oldfield in his Peugeot at the Tacoma Speedway. Mr. Oldfield, who had high praise for the new planked track, came in third in the Potlatch after a disputed finish and fifth in the Montamarathon. (TDL 6-27-15, p. 20-article on Mr. Oldfield; TDL 7-5-15, p.1-results; TDL 7-6-15, p. 1,2-results)


Pullen, Eddie; Tacoma Speedway (Lakewood); Racetracks--Lakewood--1910-1920; Automobile racing--Lakewood--1910-1920; Racing automobiles--1910-1920; Mercer automobile; Grandstands--Lakewood; Sports spectators--Lakewood;

BOLAND G52.1-136

ca. 1919. Montage of newspaper clippings regarding the 1919 Tacoma Speedway races from the Seattle Sunday Times, Tacoma Sunday Ledger, Tacoma Times and Oregon Sunday Journal. July 4, 1919, saw five of the nation's top drivers compete at the Tacoma Speedway for a one-day-only, three-big-races extravaganza of racing. The appearance of flying ace and speed pilot Eddie Rickenbacker who refereed, plus Dario Resta, Eddie Hearne, Louis Chevrolet, Ralph Mulford and Cliff Durant, all helped to attract the Speedway's largest crowd to that date of nearly 40,000 people. The Frontenacs driven by Ralph Mulford and Louis "Grandpa" Chevrolet took first place in all three races. (TNT 7-5-19, p. 1,13-results)


Newspapers--Tacoma--1910-1920; Clippings; Tacoma Speedway (Lakewood); Automobile racing--Lakewood--1910-1920;

BOLAND G65.1-112

Sarah Bernhardt appeared at the Tacoma Theatre, 902-14 Broadway, from June 14-16, 1918. Miss Bernhardt, probably the most famous actress in the world, and her company were performing the closing act of "Camille" as the closing bill of the Orpheum Vaudeville season. Also on the bill were soprano Marion Weeks, Mayo & Lynn, Madden & Ford, Albert Donnelly and Bensee & Baird. The theater was built by the Tacoma Opera House Co. and opened in 1890. It originally seated 1,300 and was advertised as having the "largest stage on the Pacific Coast." Later known as the Broadway Theater and finally as the Music Box, it was destroyed by fire on April 30, 1963. BU-11260; TPL-2112; Boland-B1193 (TDL 6/14/1918)


Tacoma Theatre (Tacoma); Theaters--Tacoma--1910-1920; Theatrical productions--Tacoma--1910-1920; Marquees; Bernhardt, Sarah--Associated objects;

BOLAND G73.1-034

ca. 1918. The Puget Mill Company Hall in Port Gamble, circa 1918. The Company Hall was built in 1907 and designed by the Seattle architecture firm of Bebb and Mendel. It was located across Rainier Ave. from the General Store. The hall was intended to serve as a location for meetings, athletic events, socials and worship. The first floor contained offices for the doctor and dentist, a barber shop, telegraph office and Post Office. The second floor served as a meeting room, theater, movie house and dance hall. The building is still in use as a Post Office and rents office space. (Historylink.org) Boland #P-4


Lumber industry--Port Gamble; Puget Mill Co. (Port Gamble); Post offices--Port Gamble; Community centers--Port Gamble;

BOLAND TPL-7058

ca. 1918. The home at the top right of the picture is the Walker-Ames house in Port Gamble, circa 1918. The structure on the left is unidentified. Port Gamble was the company town owned by the Puget Mill. A hierarchy developed in company housing, with the Superintendent receiving the largest house on the highest ground with the best view of the mill. The original Superintendent's home burned down in 1885 and was replaced by this Queen Anne structure built in 1888. Superintendent Edwin Ames was single at the home's completion and did not need such a large structure, so the home was occupied by master mechanic William Walker, brother of original general manager and shareholder Cyrus Walker, and his family. Ames married the Williams daughter and the two families shared the house until 1900. (TNT 12/31/1972, pg. B-5, Historylink.org) G73.1-032


Lumber industry--Port Gamble; Puget Mill Co. (Port Gamble); Walker-Ames House (Port Gamble);

BOLAND-B1303

Bellingham Elks on parade. Bellingham Lodge #194 sent a large contingent, including former state president H.H. Griggs, to the 14th annual Elks statewide convention held in Tacoma in mid-August, 1918. They participated in the Grand Parade held on Friday afternoon, August 16th. With thousands of Elks and several bands participating, the News Tribune stated that it was the largest fraternal parade ever held in Tacoma. Many of the lodges carried service flags indicating the large numbers of their members now fighting in the Great War. The parade marched downtown past the Tacoma Elks Lodge No. 174 on Broadway. TPL-7168 (TNT 8-16-18, p. 1) G20.1-028


Parades & processions--Tacoma--1910-1920; Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, Bellingham Lodge No. 194 (Bellingham); Marching bands--Tacoma--1910-1920; Guests--Tacoma--1910-1920;

BOLAND-B1319

Parked in front of the Nereides Baths at Point Defiance Park in early September of 1918 was a Western Logging Company truck with a long pipe as cargo. The Nereides Baths opened in 1906 on a bluff above the boathouse. It had been designed by prominent Tacoma architect Frederick Heath and was constructed of logs, resembling a Swiss chalet. The pavilion had an indoor heated saltwater pool, the first indoor swimming pool in Tacoma. Swimmers rented gray cotton suits to frolic in the 80 degree water. The gray suits were required because the owners feared that colors would run and dye the water. "Admission to spectators" was listed as 10 cents in 1918. The baths were demolished in 1932. (thenewstribune.com, metroparkstacoma.org) G41.1-040, TPL-2799


Nereides Baths (Tacoma); Point Defiance Park (Tacoma); Trucks--Tacoma--1910-1920; Pipes (Conduits)--Tacoma; Western Logging Co.;

BOLAND-B1577

ca. 1919. Knights of Columbus /Camp Lewis. The Knights of Columbus are a Catholic fraternal benefits organization that was incorporated in 1882. They had been involved in providing both spiritual and physical assistance to servicemen and women since before the Great War. This photograph, taken in the spring of 1919, shows a mixture of soldiers and civilian members at Camp Lewis. It may have been taken for the February 28, 1919, visit of Supreme Knight, James A. Flaherty. G70.1-003 (www.kofc.org- information on organization; TDL 2-26-19-, p. 2-article on Supreme Knight)


Knights of Columbus (Tacoma); Fraternal organizations--Tacoma--1910-1920; Camp Lewis (Wash.);

BOLAND-B1594

A Blue Line Stage Co. bus is parked outside the Washington Dye Works, located downtown about 9th & Pacific, in March of 1919. The vehicle had tarp-like material covering one side of the windows and tires apparently manufactured by the U.S. Rubber Co. According to Bonney's History of Pierce County, the Blue Line Stage was established by William Hummon, Sumner resident, who had previously operated a livery business. The Blue Line Stage ran between Sumner and Tacoma. Two months later in May of 1919, there would be a new big White bus on this route. The Blue Line Stage would add a new 20-passenger car, mounted on a 2-ton White chassis, to its service. G66.1-025 (Bonney: History of Pierce County, Washington, Vol. III, p. 133-34; TDL 5-25-19, 4C-article & picture of new bus)


Buses--Tacoma--1910-1920; Blue Line Stage;

BOLAND-B1602

This is a view of the Provident Block from March of 1919. It was located on Pacific Avenue between South 9th and South 10th Streets. The six-story Provident Building (later renamed Security Building before reverting back to the Provident name in 2006) is in the center of this slice of Tacoma's business district. It is surrounded by smaller establishments including several restaurants, Thomas Billiards, and Bloom & Alexander Money & Loan. The Olympus Hotel is one block up the street on the far left. Of special note is the entrance to a "Ladies Only" comfort station in the middle of 10th Street right outside of Washington Dye Works. The actual bathroom was located under the street; it was the only public restroom for women downtown at that time. TPL-2499 ; G61.1-012


Commercial streets--Tacoma--1910-1920; Business districts--Tacoma--1910-1920; Provident Building (Tacoma); Olympus Hotel (Tacoma); Billboards--Tacoma--1910-1920;

BOLAND-B6606

In 1922, small children lined up by wooden school desks to participate in a flag salute at an unidentified Eatonville grade school. This may have been a first or second grade class. School had only been in session since the beginning part of September so these small pupils could still have been learning school routines. G46.1-053


School children--Eatonville; Elementary schools--Eatonville; Public schools--Eatonville; Flags--United States; Flag salutes--Eatonville; Saluting--Eatonville;

BOLAND-B6622

Staff and student body of Eatonville High School posed outside the two-story (and basement) brick school on September 22, 1922. The school is still located at 302 Mashell Ave. North in this small Pierce County town southeast of Tacoma. TPL-5791; G7.1-057 (also listed as G72.1-091)


Eatonville High School (Eatonville); Public schools--Eatonville; Students--Eatonville--1920-1930;

BOLAND-B6755

Posed in front of the Carnegie Building (then the Tacoma Free Public Library) on October 18, 1922, are members of the Guard Team from Everett of the Women's Benefit Association of the Maccabees. This was the ladies' auxiliary of the fraternal insurance group. The Everett team was part of the 17 lodges who had sent some 300 delegates to the Women's Benefit Association of the Maccabees of Western Washington's one-day convention. The gathering was held at Fraternity Hall, 1111-17 Tacoma Avenue South, which was near the library. G24.1-010 (TNT 10-18-22, p. 1-article on convention)


Women's Benefit Association of the Maccabees; Tacoma Public Library (Tacoma); Flags--United States; Meetings--Tacoma--1920-1930;

BOLAND-B6766

The corner of South 9th and Pacific was nearly free of traffic -both foot and motor- on this October day in 1922. A single couple was standing outside the Liberty Theater where the Charles Jones (later known as "Buck" Jones) picture "Trooper O'Neil" was playing while another man peers through a nearby doorway. Two people were window shopping at the McGinley-Garness hat store near 9th & Commerce. The brick building with recessed windows is the Wright Building (902-04 Pacific Ave.) which contained in 1922 the United Cigar Store and Imperial Billiards (and bowling alleys). G61.1-045


Commercial streets--Tacoma--1920-1930; Liberty Theater (Tacoma); United Cigar Stores (Tacoma);

BOLAND-B6781

Four delegates to the 13th annual Pacific Logging Congress Convention posed for photographer Marvin Boland on October 28, 1922. The men have removed their hats for this picture. The earlier conventions of the Pacific Logging Congress had a mixture of delegates representing management and workmen. All were interested in the latest logging techniques and equipment to further improve their industry. The 1922 convention saw representatives from all the Pacific Coast states and British Columbia in attendance at the four-day session in Tacoma. G75.1-135


Pacific Logging Congress; Meetings--Tacoma--1920-1930; Lumber industry--Tacoma--1920-1930; Logs;

BOLAND-B6784

At a time when timber was king, and logs of this size were not unusual, thirteen delegates to the 13th annual Pacific Logging Congress Convention were able to balance themselves on top of large cut logs in this late October of 1922 photograph - with room to spare. A special excursion train left Tacoma's Union Station on Saturday, October 28, 1922, for a day trip to the St. Paul & Tacoma Lumber Co. camp at Kapowsin. There the many delegates viewed up-to-date methods of logging by high leads and lidgerwood skidders. The convention took place October 25-28, 1922, and attracted some 500 representatives of the logging industry. G75.1-138 (TDL 10-23-22, p. 5-article; TDL 10-25-22, p. 1-article; TDL 10-26-22, p. 1-article)


Pacific Logging Congress; Meetings--Tacoma--1920-1930; Lumber industry--Tacoma--1920-1930; Logs;

BOLAND-B6815

In November of 1922, the two thousand year old game of Mah-Jongg was all the rage in Tacoma. With its hints of oriental mysticism and terms like dragons, the four winds and bamboo, Tacoma was mad about Mah-Jongg. Carmen Staples, Sybil Lea and Gladys Busha, left to right, play a demonstration game in the Rhodes Brothers store. The ancient game is the perfect combination of skill and chance and contains elements of modern day rummy, poker, dominos and bridge. TPL-6365 ; G25.1-034 (T.D.L. 11/5/1922, pg. 1-B)


Staples, Carmen; Lea, Sybil; Busha, Gladys; Games; Mah jong; Fads--Tacoma--1920-1930;

Results 1 to 30 of 2051