Showing 2232 results

Collections
Image
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

2232 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Auburn--General - 7

Back of Photo:
Portway's Store about 1886 or 1887. Purchased from L.W.B., the first business building in what is now Auburn. Building later renamed and known as Star Hotel.

Indians, Puyallup (History) - 1

Back of Photo:
Yesteryear Feb. 7, 1986
Puyallup Indian Tribe members gathered on Feb. 9, 1891, as part of their monthly neighborhood meetings. This was the time when Indian families gathered to discuss the business of running the reservation and making improvements in the quality of life. The women were not generally included in business affairs of the tribe, which would explain their absence in the photograph.
State of Washington Views
Rutter, Photo
Tacoma, Wash.

Topographic Sheet, Washington, Tacoma Quadrangle, 1898

Washington : Geological Survey
1 map : col. ; 45 x 31 cm. on sheet 56 x 47 cm. "Surveyed in 1894-95." Scale: 1:125,000 Contour interval 50 feet. Relief indicated by contours and spot heights. Datum is mean sea level. "Edition of Nov. 1898" Engraved April 1897 by U.S.G.S. Henry Gannett, Chief Topographer. R. U. Goode, Geographer in charge. Control by W.T. Griswold and U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey. Topography by G.E. Hyde and R.H. McKee. Diagram depicts which topographers were responsible for which areas of the map.

Tacoma High School Class of 1900 with faculty

Members of the Tacoma High School faculty and the senior class, class of 1900, posed on the porch and steps of the school then located at 714 Tacoma Avenue South. The site was the former location of the Washington College, private school for boys. Two students have been identified in the photograph: George (or Georgia) Armstrong and Roy Knapp. Roy Knapp is seated in the second row of steps, second from left, next to an unidentified female. He was the business manager in 1899-1900 for the "Tahoma," the monthly publication of the Tacoma High School students and would pass away in 1906. Two cadets sit on the step railings. They are holding their distinctive hats and appear to be wearing similar clothing, i.e. uniforms. Cadets would participate in drills and would have an armory prepared for their use. KING 012, TPL 1038.

Map of Washington, 1904

George F. Cram and Company
1 map; 34 x 51 cm. From page 292-293 of Cram's unrivaled atlas of the world. Relief shown by hachures. Shows counties, cities and railroads. Scale ca. 1:1,300,000 On verso: portion of "City of Portland, Oregon." In lower margin: 292, 293. Index on verso.

Immigration and Emigration - 2

Back of Photo:
"August Anderson clearing land." C1910, Lakebay, Washington
Courtesy of Mr. & Mrs. Gustaf Loustrom, Tacoma, WA

From In the Footsteps of Nicholas Delin: the Swedish Presence in Pierce County, a photography exhibition tracing the world of Swedish and Swedish-Finnish immigrants in Pierce County from 1887 - 1930, opening Thursday, December 14, 1995 at the Tacoma Public Library's Handforth Gallery (Main Library, 1102 Tacoma Avenue South in downtown Tacoma).

Map of Washington, 1911

George F Cram Company
1 map; 34 x 41 cm. From page 178-179 of Cram's unrivaled atlas of the world. Relief shown by hachures. Shows counties, cities and railroads. Scale ca. 1:1,300,000 On verso: "Alaska" and "Idaho" maps. In lower margin: 178, 179.

Rand McNally New Commercial Atlas Map of Washington, 1912

Chicago : Rand McNally.
1 map : col. ; 48 x 66 cm. State capitals and County seats identified by symbols. A key to Railroads is located in the lower left. Shows Railroads and Steamship lines. Includes index of cities with a population of 1,000 or more. At top: "Library atlas of the world." Relief shown by hachures and spot highlights. Scale 1 in. = 15 miles [ca. 1:950,400].

Immigration and Emigration - 1

Back of Photo:
Theatrical Group, Order of Vasa, ca. 1912, Tacoma
Photograph courtesy of the Vasa Lodge Norden, Tacoma

From In the Footsteps of Nicholas Delin: the Swedish Presence in Pierce County, a photography exhibition tracing the world of Swedish and Swedish-Finnish immigrants in Pierce County from 1887 - 1930, opening Thursday, December 14, 1995 at the Tacoma Public Library's Handforth Gallery (Main Library, 1102 Tacoma Avenue South in downtown Tacoma).

Woman's Clubhouse (Tacoma Woman's Clubhouse) (426 Broadway) - 3

Back of Photo:
Photo Rcv'd 05/12/1968, 05/28/1968 - Article date
Mystery Photo' Identification Yet Incomplete
From left to right: Top row: 1-Mrs. Milford Jacobs; 4-Mrs. May Achinson. Third row: 1-Mrs. Minnie Wright; 2-Mrs. Henry F. Wegener; 3-Mrs. C. C. Mellinger; 4-Mrs. Fanny Ball; 5-Gladys Harding (now Mrs. Charles B. Roe); 6-Evelyn Chantler or Mrs. John B, Stevens (?). Second row: 2-Mrs. O. R. McKinney; 3-Mrs. J. W. Brokaw; 4-Mrs. Oluf Olson or Mrs. James McCormack (?). Front row: 2-Miss Lucy Lamson; 4-Mrs. E. L. Hiberly; 5-Mrs. Overton G. Ellis; 6-Mrs. H. E. York.

Woman's Clubhouse (Tacoma Woman's Clubhouse) (426 Broadway) - 4

Back of Photo:
Photo Rcv'd 05/26/1968 - Article date, 11/28/1976 - Article date
This Picture is 'Twin" to 'Mystery Photo'
The files at the News Tribune contained this picture identified only as the Woman's Club House, until the publication two weeks ago of a 'mystery photo' with a plea for identification. Now the date and subject of the photo are somewhat established.
The Woman's Club House stood at 426 Broadway until 1961. It had been a gathering place for Tacomans, containing large halls, sitting rooms and dining areas for teas and luncheons and had belonged to the Tacoma Woman's Club House Association since 1915.

Results 21 to 40 of 2232