Showing 119 results

Collections
Marvin Boland Photographs Item Industries -- Lumber Image
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

119 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

BOLAND-B9638

Logging operations at West Fork Logging Co. site #1. Logs are being "loaded," per photographer Marvin Boland's notes. This was probably located in the Seabeck, Washington, area, in March of 1924. (Additional information provided by a reader)


West Fork Logging Co.; Lumber industry--1920-1930;

BOLAND-B9466

On February 19, 1924, workers at the St. Paul & Tacoma lumber mill were loading a giant log onto a Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul railway car. The log was being sent on an exhibition tour. It would be shown at agricultural fairs and educational exhibits in the East and Midwest during the coming summer as a sample of the giant logs from which Tacoma mills got their lumber. The log was 72 inches in diameter and 40 feet long. (TNT 2/20/1924) G36.1-042


Lumber industry--Tacoma--1920-1930; St. Paul & Tacoma Lumber Co. (Tacoma); Logs; Railroad freight cars--Tacoma; Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad Co. (Tacoma); Hoisting machinery;

BOLAND-B9997

The "Artigas" is docked awaiting the loading of a cargo of lumber from Tidewater Mill on May 2, 1924. The Tidewater Mill, located on the east side of the Hylebos Waterway, exported most of their timber. The "Artigas" would set sail directly for San Francisco on Saturday, May 3rd. G49.1-094


Lumber industry--Tacoma--1920-1930; Cargo ships--1920-1930; Tidewater Mill Co. (Tacoma);

BOLAND-B11866

St. Paul & Tacoma workers stand alongside a 48" x 48" x 70-foot sawn log on February 13, 1925. TPL-3237; G36.1-159


St. Paul & Tacoma Lumber Co. (Tacoma); Lumber industry--Tacoma--1920-1930;

BOLAND-B12440

Four unidentified men gaze at a long line of railroad flat cars stacked with mahogany logs on May 1, 1925. The log train was bound for the Buffelen Lumber & Mfg. Co. The logs had arrived at the Port of Tacoma on the "Wheatland Montana" and were a product of the Philippines. The arrival of the logs marked a transition to direct transactions between the overseas grower and a Tacoma manufacturer. Prior to this, mahogany used in fine furniture, cabinets and other uses was brought here in board form. G36.1-030 (TNT 5-4-25, p. 6)


Logs; Railroad cars--Tacoma--1920-1930; Shipping--Tacoma--1920-1930;

BOLAND-B13067

Henry Mill in Old Town. A new and very modern mill opened in Old Town on July 20, 1925, located on the waterfront at 3001 North Starr St. Henry Mill & Timber Co. would remain in business there until 1945 when it was taken over by the Tacoma Lumber Fabricating Co. During WWII, Henry Mill became active in prefabricated structures for the military. They specialized in bridges and hangars. TPL-2048; G36.1-143B


Henry Mill & Timber Co. (Tacoma); Mills--Tacoma--1920-1930; Lumber industry--Tacoma--1920-1930; Railroad tracks--Tacoma--1920-1930;

BOLAND-B13138

Two men are balanced on extremely long logs in this August 14, 1925, photograph. They are believed to be connected with the Peterman Mfg. Co. who were local door manufacturers. Peterman Manufacturing, according to an advertisement placed in the Tacoma Daily Ledger on April 8, 1925, produced quality fir doors and 3-ply fir veneer panels. TPL-9376; G36.1-066 (TDL 4-8-25, p. 4-ad)


Logs; Lumber industry--Tacoma--1920-1930;

BOLAND-B13143

Log dump next to railroad tracks as pictured on August 14, 1925. G36.1-086


Logs; Railroad tracks--Tacoma--1920-1930;

BOLAND-B13066

The Henry Mill & Timber Co. had just begun operating in late July of 1925, just about two weeks before this photograph of the plant's exterior was taken. The plant took over two years to build due to difficulty in preparing the foundation. Built on the 26-acre waterfront site of the old Tacoma Mill Co., the sawmill was designed to use the most modern equipment. It started with a head saw, edger and trimmer. Finished products could be easily transported via ship or nearby railroad tracks. G36.1-143A (TNT 7-20-25, p. 16-article)


Henry Mill & Timber Co. (Tacoma); Mills--Tacoma--1920-1930; Lumber industry--Tacoma--1920-1930; Railroad tracks--Tacoma--1920-1930;

BOLAND-B13725

The "Silksworth" was docked at the Tidewater Mill, 3901 E. 11th St., the first stop of four, on November 19, 1925. She would continue on to the Defiance Lumber on November 22nd, and then on to Dickman and St. Paul mills. The Australian-bound vessel, on her first visit to Tacoma, was under the command of Captain R. Deans. The 429-foot "Silksworth" was a relatively new ship, in operation less than three years, and had a 53-foot beam. She would be taking 4,080,000 feet of lumber to Australia, 3 million feet of which would be loaded in Tacoma. As the ship is tied up at Tidewater, numerous logs, waiting to be processed, float in the waterway. The mill, located on the east side of the Hylebos Waterway, exported most of its timber. Because of its 750 feet of deep water moorage, Tidewater Mill was capable of loading several vessels at the same time. (photograph has been damaged) (TNT 11-21-25, p. 5-article on the "Silksworth")


Tidewater Mill Co. (Tacoma); Lumber industry--Tacoma--1920-1930; Logs; Cargo ships--1920-1930; Shipping--Tacoma--1920-1930;

BOLAND-B15572

Close-up of burnt timber at the Mineral Lake Logging Co.'s Camp 17. Photographer Boland ventured out to the remote logging camp located in north central Lewis County on September 3, 1926, to document the damage that fire had caused to timberlands. Burned sections of cut timber are piled haphazardly on the ground, obscuring many tree stumps.


Mineral Lake Logging Co. Camp 17; Fires; Tree stumps; Logs; Lumber industry--Washington--1920-1930;

BOLAND-B15574

This burned railroad bridge was located near Mineral Lake Logging Co.'s Camp 17 in 1926. The area had suffered fire damage which included part of this railroad bridge constructed out of logs. The bridge curved around a gulch.


Mineral Lake Logging Co. Camp 17; Logging industry--Washington--1920-1930; Fires; Logs; Railroad bridges--Washington--1920-1930;

BOLAND-B15575

This is part of the damage resulting from a fire near the Mineral Lake Logging Co. Camp 17 in 1926. It looks like there was a significant loss of timber, including the blackened logs above. Not shown is a company railroad bridge made of logs which was partially destroyed in the fire.


Mineral Lake Logging Co. Camp 17; Lumber industry--Washington--1920-1930; Logs; Fires;

BOLAND-B15570

Fire damage at Mineral Lake Logging Co. Camp 17 as viewed on September 3, 1926. In the right foreground are scorched tree stumps. G75.1-086 (photograph is marked B15570; however, correct image # should be B15569, per photographer Boland's notes.)


Mineral Lake Logging Co. Camp 17; Fires; Tree stumps; Logs; Lumber industry--Washington--1920-1930;

BOLAND-B15352

On July 26, 1926, the "Cacique," an oceangoing cargo ship was pictured at the Tidewater Mill Co. The ship is being loaded with lumber for export. The Tidewater Mill was located on the east side of the Hylebos Waterway, at the end of 11th St. Over 3/4 of its timber was destined for export. In the foreground can be seen several large logs being floated to the mill for processing. The Tidewater was only one of a few mills on the Pacific Coast able to process large logs. (TDL 12/22/1918, pg. B-8) G49.1-086


Tidewater Mill Co. (Tacoma); Lumber industry--Tacoma--1920-1930; Cargo ships--1920-1930; Shipping--Tacoma--1920-1930;

BOLAND-B15754

Pacific States Lumber Co. plant, Selleck, Washington. This elevated view of the large, sprawling facility was taken on October 4, 1926. Selleck was a mill town in southeast King County formed by the owners of the Pacific States Lumber Co. about 1908 and named after Frank Selleck. It grew into a bustling community of 900 people housed in company buildings and included a hospital, hotel, school, gathering hall and mill buildings. Pacific States Lumber Co. built the world's highest railroad trestle, 204 feet over the Cedar River. The plant, running with modernized equipment, built a good reputation and landed a contract with Tokyo to supply lumber to rebuild the city after the massive earthquake there of 1923. Many Japanese workers and their families were sent to Selleck as laborers and formed a cohesive community of their own. Pacific States Lumber declared bankruptcy in 1939 and the company town's population shrank until its present number of about 90. It was named to the National Register of Historic Places in 1989. (Seattle Times, 7-31-07) G75.1-077


Pacific States Lumber Co. (Selleck); Lumber industry--1920-1930;

BOLAND-B15577

This is a view of the devastation caused by fire racing through timbered lands near the Mineral Lake Logging Co. Camp 17 in Lewis County in late summer of 1926. Trees are tossed about like matchsticks and the railroad bridge pictured above may also have been damaged by flames.


Mineral Lake Logging Co. Camp 17; Fires; Lumber industry--Washington--1920-1930;

BOLAND-B16513

On March 15, 1927, an unidentified logging crew at Camp #1 was taking a lunch break next to giant logs stacked and ready to be transported. Some of the men found that a cut log makes a fairly comfortable perch. Metal lunch pails were scattered around the area and there were clumps of snow visible. TPL-2445; G75.1-102


Loggers; Logs; Lumber industry--1920-1930; Eating & drinking;

BOLAND-B16901

This look at St. Paul & Tacoma Lumber Co.'s sprawling grounds was taken from the Puyallup Bridge on May 30, 1927. Col. Chauncey W. Griggs and associates had established one of Tacoma's first major sawmills located along Commencement Bay in 1888, one year before Washington became a state. Abundant sources of hemlock and Douglas firs were available for logging as St. Paul & Tacoma helped Tacoma become the "Lumber Capital of the World." One of the area's largest employers, St. Paul & Tacoma would eventually merge with St. Regis Paper Co. in 1957. (History of Pierce County, Vol. 1- pg. 10-11-article) TPL-3235; G36.1-134


St. Paul & Tacoma Lumber Co. (Tacoma); Lumber industry--Tacoma--1920-1930;

BOLAND-B17067

Log train headed for St. Paul & Tacoma Lumber Co. yards in July of 1927. Mount Tacoma (Rainier) in background. Many trees near the tracks have already been topped.


Logs; Lumber industry--1920-1930; St. Paul & Tacoma Lumber Co. (Tacoma); Rainier, Mount (Wash.);

BOLAND-B17026

Elevated 1927 view of what is believed to be the Tidewater Mill Co. facilities located on the east side of the Hylebos Waterway at the end of 11th St. The Hylebos Creek Waterway drawbridge is up to permit ships to pass under. Multiple log dumps are located near the plant and readily accessible. The Tidewater Mill Co. was established in 1918 and had a capacity of 100,000 logs per day. Because it fronted 750 feet of deep water, several ships were able to load cargo at the same time. TPL-6476; G9.1-043


Tidewater Mill Co. (Tacoma); Lumber industry--Tacoma--1920-1930; Logs;

BOLAND-B18222

Truss section manufactured by the Ernest Dolge, Inc., lumber company, shown at unidentified construction site in March of 1928. Ernest Dolge, Inc., had a national reputation for producing special "structual" grades of wood. This truss section was strongly bolted together. The Dolge firm was located on the Belt Line at approximately 1800 Taylor Way in the Tideflats, occupying 16 acres on the Hylebos Waterway. Their sawmill produced timbers for boats, beams, and even fire extension ladders that used Douglas fir. The Dolge mill cut 80,000 feet of timber daily and employed 55 men with a yearly payroll of nearly $100,000. G36.1-125 (TDL 4-10-28, Section 3, Industrial section, p. 1, 8-articles)


Ernest Dolge, Inc. (Tacoma); Lumber industry--Tacoma--1920-1930; Trusses--Tacoma;

BOLAND-B18730

On June 13, 1928, two unidentified workers posed with an acetylene torch at St. Paul & Tacoma Lumber Co.'s new mill. The mill in question is believed to be the new sawmill for cutting hemlock logs built in the Tideflats on the site of the old Foundation shipyards near the Union Bag & Paper Corporation pulp mill still under construction. The sawmill would begin operations on June 18th. G35.1-082 (TNT 6-15-28, p. 10-article)


Welding--Tacoma--1920-1930; St. Paul & Tacoma Lumber Co. (Tacoma); Sawmills--Tacoma--1920-1930;

BOLAND-B18734

Unidentified machinery at St. Paul & Tacoma Lumber Co.'s new mill, as photographed on June 12, 1928. Established in 1888, the company would merge with St. Regis Paper in 1957.


Machinery; St. Paul & Tacoma Lumber Co. (Tacoma); Lumber industry--Tacoma--1920-1930;

BOLAND-B18747

Interior of new St. Paul & Tacoma Lumber Co. mill as viewed on June 15, 1928. This is believed to be the new sawmill used to cut hemlock logs built in the Tideflats north of E. 11th St., part of a joint venture between the Union Bag & Paper Corporation (N.Y.) and St. Paul & Tacoma Lumber. The mill, opening on June 18, 1928, was built on the site of the old Foundation shipyards. It contained modern new machinery including a new Yates planer, 72 x 14-inch edger, 48 x 16-inch Diamond gangsaw, 9-foot Diamond band saw, 7-foot resaw and two mechanical saw trimmers. In addition, the mill had a new hammerhead crane which was capable of lifting 7 1/2 tons. G36.1-150 (TNT 6-15-28, p. 10-article)


St. Paul & Tacoma Lumber Co. (Tacoma); Lumber industry--Tacoma--1920-1930; Sawmills--Tacoma--1920-1930;

BOLAND-B18783

Defiance Lumber Co. plant and stacks, as photographed on June 19, 1928, for a court case. Photograph also includes hill and tracks. The court case possibly involved a $10,000 claim in superior court whereby an individual charged that smoke and refuse from the lumber company's stacks was so heavy that it was a nuisance when the wind blew from the north or northeast. G36.1-117


Defiance Lumber Co. (Tacoma); Smokestacks--Tacoma--1920-1930;

BOLAND-B18784

Defiance Lumber Co. facilities, including smokestack and railroad tracks, and neighboring hillside as viewed on June 19, 1928. This scene was photographed for a court case that may have involved pollution claims against the company. G36.1-056 (for another view of smokestack see Boland photograph B18783)


Defiance Lumber Co. (Tacoma); Smokestacks--Tacoma--1920-1930; Railroad tracks--Tacoma--1920-1930;

BOLAND-B20498

This photograph of trains of logs on and along Northern Pacific Railway tracks with Northern Pacific boxcars adjacent to the logs was taken in March of 1929. It was later used in a News Tribune article dated October 20, 1930 to help bolster Tacoma's claim to be "the lumber capital of the world." Great trains of logs like these were brought to Tacoma's mills for cutting into lumber before being sent out to the world. More than 80 Tacoma mills converted lumber into finished products. 21 local furniture-making factories used Tacoma lumber to built tables, chairs and all manner of wood products. Tacoma had led the nation in lumber production since 1905. TPL-1542; G44.1-114 (TNT 10-20-30, 4-B)


Logs; Shipping--Tacoma--1920-1930; Northern Pacific Railway Co. (Tacoma); Railroad tracks--Tacoma--1920-1930; Lumber industry--Tacoma--1920-1930;

BOLAND-B12236

This was the Olympia plant of Washington Veneer Co., as pictured in April of 1925. The plywood company was less than a year old at the time, having been incorporated in June of 1924. It was located on land leased from the Port of Olympia, about 3/4th of a mile from Olympia's business center, and conveniently located near water and rail transportation. Already on site was a sawmill and retail lumber yard, both to be operated for many years by Washington Veneer. Plywood production began in February of 1925 at a rate of 65,000 feet daily. Among other innovations, manager Ed Westman installed the first belt-free lathe on the Pacific Coast. Marketing of Washington Veneer's panel production was handled primarily through the Wheeler-Osgood Company of Tacoma. A second plywood plant, called Capitol Plywood Co., was built about 1/4th mile from the site of the original plant in 1929. Washington Veneer was acquired several times and finally closed down in the late 1960s. (www.apawood.org) G73.1-011


Washington Veneer Co. (Olympia); Lumber industry--Olympia--1920-1930;

BOLAND-B22418

Nine unidentified men were photographed in front of the large St. Paul & Tacoma Lumber Co. store on April 17, 1930. St. Paul & Tacoma, established in 1888, was one of Tacoma's pioneer industries. Its lumber concerns would provide employment for hundreds of local residents. It would merge with St. Regis Paper Co. in 1957.


St. Paul & Tacoma Lumber Co. (Tacoma); Lumber industry--Tacoma--1930-1940;

Results 61 to 90 of 119