Showing 807 results

Collections
Industries -- Lumber With digital objects
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

A150112-43

1966 scenes from plywood mill. Wearing heavy gloves to protect his hands, a Potlatch Forests, Inc., employee bends over to shift plywood boards at a Lewiston-area mill in mid-July, 1966. Mounds of sawdust coat the mill floor. The large piece of machinery beside him may have been utilized to cut the boards. Photograph ordered by Malcolm McGhie, industrial consultant, New York.


Potlatch Forests, Inc. (Lewiston, ID); Lumber industry--Idaho--1960-1970; Machinery; Plywood;

A150112-17

Men at work in plywood mill associated with Potlatch Forests, Inc., Lewiston, Idaho. These mill employees are caught in action, shifting plywood from racks to stacks. Photograph ordered by Malcolm McGhie, industrial consultant, New York.


Potlatch Forests, Inc. (Lewiston, ID); Lumber industry--Idaho--1960-1970; Paper industry--Idaho--1960-1970;

A150114-27

On July 20, 1966, a Rayonier employee directed the operator of this loader to carefully deposit these logs onto the last rail car so they could be transported to one of the company's mills. Rayonier was founded in 1926 and quickly became the largest single manufacturer of dissolving pulps in the world. (scan from original negative, no print on file) (www.rayonier.com-article)


Rayonier, Inc. (Grays Harbor); Lumber industry--Grays Harbor--1960-1970; Hoisting machinery; Logs;

A150114-A

A bright yellow loader has its log-filled grapple suspended in the air as a Rayonier worker prepares his truck to transport the cargo to one of the company's mills in Grays Harbor where the logs would be processed. (no print on file, scan from original color positive)


Rayonier, Inc. (Grays Harbor); Lumber industry--Grays Harbor--1960-1970; Logs; Hoisting machinery;

BOLAND-B15577

This is a view of the devastation caused by fire racing through timbered lands near the Mineral Lake Logging Co. Camp 17 in Lewis County in late summer of 1926. Trees are tossed about like matchsticks and the railroad bridge pictured above may also have been damaged by flames.


Mineral Lake Logging Co. Camp 17; Fires; Lumber industry--Washington--1920-1930;

BOLAND-B22418

Nine unidentified men were photographed in front of the large St. Paul & Tacoma Lumber Co. store on April 17, 1930. St. Paul & Tacoma, established in 1888, was one of Tacoma's pioneer industries. Its lumber concerns would provide employment for hundreds of local residents. It would merge with St. Regis Paper Co. in 1957.


St. Paul & Tacoma Lumber Co. (Tacoma); Lumber industry--Tacoma--1930-1940;

BOLAND-B26221

Close-up of floating log rafts in the City (now Thea Foss) Waterway. These logs were probably destined for pulp production. Washington was third in the nation at this time in pulp producing. The abundance of hemlock and accessibility of water transportation plus low utility rates made Tacoma a prime location for the manufacture of pulp and other lumber products. Photograph taken in March of 1937. TPL-3236; G36.1-080 (T.Times 1,5-articles on pulp)


Logs; City Waterway (Tacoma);

BOLAND-B5082

Construction on the new John Dower Lumber Company headquarters building at 733 East 11th Street began in late November, 1921. The company held an open house for the general public on March 11, 1922. The building, designed by Bullard & Mason, was one of the most unique lumber offices in the country. The finish on the exterior was designed to resemble a log house; the interior was finished in selected native woods, stained and varnished to bring out their natural colors. In 1922 the John Dower Lumber Company was one of the largest retail lumber companies in the United States. The St. Paul & Tacoma Lumber Company purchased the Dower yard and headquarters building in 1942. BU-11057


Lumber industry--Tacoma--1920-1930; John Dower Lumber Company (Tacoma); Building construction--Tacoma--1920-1930;

BOLAND-B7803

This view of a boat loading lumber at the Defiance Lumber dock had been a common sight since 1906 when the Doud brothers, desiring a site closer to shipping facilities than Buckley, bought land on the Tacoma waterfront just south of the Tacoma Smelter. By 1907 a mill was built, 1400 feet of shoreline acquired among the 18 acres of land, and 150 men were employed. Ships from all nations visited Tacoma to load lumber and lumber was also transported via rail. WWI caused rail transportation to substantially decrease and ships once again entered the deep harbor to retrieve the fir products and bring them to as far away as Japan and the United Kingdom. The Defiance Lumber Co. would continue in business until December of 1951 when it closed its doors permanently. G36.1-013 (Martin: Leslie Lewis Doud; his family and ancestors, p.1-3; Bonney: History of Pierce County Washington, p. 656-659)


Defiance Lumber Co. (Tacoma); Lumber industry--Tacoma--1920-1930; Cargo ships--Tacoma--1920-1930; Shipping--Tacoma--1920-1930;

BOWEN G38.1-005

A young boy poses by the chain link fence of the old Central School playgrounds where mess tents have been erected to feed the more than 500 members of the 2nd battalion of the 161st Infantry of the Washington National Guard called out to Tacoma to restore peace during the 1935 Lumber workers' strike. The Guard was stationed at the nearby Armory. The troops had been in training at Camp A.H. Hankins at Camp Murray for the past two weeks when they were deployed to Tacoma. (TNT 6/24/1935, pg. 1 & 2)

BOWEN G38.1-012

Chief of Police Harold Bird poses with an officer of the Washington National Guard, deployed to Tacoma by Governor Clarence Martin to restore the peace during the 1935 lumber workers' strike. In June of 1935, as some workers prepared to return to the reopened mills, their efforts were met with violence. Returning workers were threatened, beaten, their homes and vehicles bombed and vandalized. Local authorities were unable to stop the violence. The Guard was called in to protect the workers and the mills. The strikers and sympathizers were joined in their protests by those who resented the armed troops in their midst. (TNT 6/24/1935, pg. 1 & 2)

BOWEN G26.1-088

A spectacular five-hour blaze gutted the Day Island plant of the Clear Fir Lumber Co. on the evening of October 18, 1934. It was the fifth major industrial fire in the Tacoma area in the past 24 days. The sawmill and dry kilns were destroyed but the door factory adjoining the sawmill was saved. Losses were conservatively estimated at $300,000 which included 3,000,000 feet of finished lumber and 170,000 feet of valuable ship decking. Six Tacoma fire companies and the city fireboat battled the blaze of undetermined origin which had begun near the boiler room. The reddened skies made the fire visible for many miles and attracted a crowd of about 10,000 on the hillside roads on three sides of the flaming plant. Another 15,000 viewed the fire from a variety of locations. The mill had begun operations in 1912 and was incorporated in 1916 as Clear Fir Lumber Co. Lately 250 men had worked there. Plans to rebuild were not immediately announced. BU-12606 (T.Times 10-19-34, p. 1-article; TNT 10-19-34, p. 1,11- alt. photograph)

BOLAND-B6780

Delegates to the 13th annual Pacific Logging Congress Convention posed outdoors on October 28, 1922. The first convention was held in 1909 in Seattle and continues to be held annually. Educational and informational presentations about the logging industry and exhibitions of the newest logging equipment and supplies were staples of the conventions. G75.1-134 (www.pacificloggingcongress.org/history)


Pacific Logging Congress; Meetings--Tacoma--1920-1930; Lumber industry--Tacoma--1920-1930;

BOLAND-B6798

These were some of the 500 delegates to the 13th annual Pacific Logging Congress Convention held in Tacoma from October 25-28, 1922. Everett Griggs, president of the St. Paul & Tacoma Lumber Co., welcomed the delegates to Tacoma, the "Lumber Capital of America," in his October 25th address. The firm invited attendees to visit its lumber camp at Kapowsin on the final day of the convention where they are believed to be pictured above. There the group was able to observe the most up-to-date methods of logging by high leads and Lidgerwood skidders. L.T. ("Tom") Murray, founder of the West Fork Timber Co. of Tacoma, was president of the Congress and may have been included in the group congregated above. TPL-2043; G75.1-137 (TDL 10-23-22, p. 5-article; TDL 10-25-22, p. 1-article; TDL 10-26-22, p. 1-article)


Pacific Logging Congress; Meetings--Tacoma--1920-1930; Lumber industry--Tacoma--1920-1930;

BOLAND-B7380

Lumber has already been loaded onto Foss Launch & Tug Co. barges while large poles remain scattered on acreage belonging to City Lumber Co., 1001 E. "F" St. in February of 1923. The plant was located near the foot of the 11th St. Bridge (now Murray Morgan Bridge) and was headed by P.H. Johns as president and general manager. G36.1-045; BU14,076


City Lumber Co. (Tacoma); Lumber industry--Tacoma--1920-1930;

BOLAND-B8714

Exterior view of Malone-Vance Lumber Co. mill. The Joe Vance Lumber Co. established a mill in the small community of Malone in the early 1900's. Malone was located in Grays Harbor county south of Elma. Malone was a "company town" in a remote location and the Vance Co. provided housing for its workers. The mill would later be sold to the Bordeaux Lumber Co. and remain in operation until the depression years when it eventually closed. The company owned homes were sold. Photographed ordered by E.J. Barry. (www.lib.washington.edu/specialcoll-article) G36.1-010


Malone-Vance Lumber Co. (Malone); Mills--Malone; Lumber industry--Malone;

BOLAND-B8719

Interior of power house at the Vance Lumber Co. plant in Malone, Washington. Photographed on October 8, 1923 as part of a series of photographs taken by Marvin Boland. Joseph Alexander Vance was in 1923 the president and sole owner of the Vance Lumber Co. who made the small town of Malone a company town for his employees. A native of Quebec, Canada, Mr. Vance arrived in Washington in 1890 and after several jobs, became involved in the lumber industry where in 1897 he founded a small mill near Elma. This venture would be the beginning of the Vance Lumber Co. In 1909 he purchased the Swan & Johnson holdings at Malone, five miles east of Elma, which consisted of a mill, timber and a 300-hundred acre farm. He then erected a hotel, homes for his workers, a store, a school and office buildings to improve Malone. Besides cutting lumber the company also manufactured shingles and erected a planing mill and factory. Mr. Vance's ill health forced him to dispose of his lumber interests in 1923 and he left the area for Seattle where he invested in commercial real estate. The mills in Malone closed during the Depression and the company owned homes were sold. G36.1-027 (Pollard: A History of the State of Washington, p. 177-178; Hunt: Washington, West of the Cascades, p. 636-639)


Malone-Vance Lumber Co. (Malone); Power plants--Malone; Lumber industry--Malone; Mills--Malone;

BOLAND-B9274

Log dump & saw mill - Wheeler-Osgood Co. as photographed on January 17, 1924. The company focused on door and plywood manufacture and was located in the industrial tideflats. It had been established in 1889 and remained in business until 1952. G36.1-062


Lumber industry--Tacoma--1920-1930; Wheeler, Osgood Co. (Tacoma); Logs; Sawmills--Tacoma--1920-1930;

BOLAND-B11866

St. Paul & Tacoma workers stand alongside a 48" x 48" x 70-foot sawn log on February 13, 1925. TPL-3237; G36.1-159


St. Paul & Tacoma Lumber Co. (Tacoma); Lumber industry--Tacoma--1920-1930;

BOLAND-B13138

Two men are balanced on extremely long logs in this August 14, 1925, photograph. They are believed to be connected with the Peterman Mfg. Co. who were local door manufacturers. Peterman Manufacturing, according to an advertisement placed in the Tacoma Daily Ledger on April 8, 1925, produced quality fir doors and 3-ply fir veneer panels. TPL-9376; G36.1-066 (TDL 4-8-25, p. 4-ad)


Logs; Lumber industry--Tacoma--1920-1930;

BOLAND-B10287

Plywood operations. Workers at this Olympia sawmill are pictured in June of 1924 during daily plywood operations. Sheets of plywood are being laid out; stacks of plywood are in the fore-and-background. Photograph ordered by Pacific Mutual Door Co. G75.1-026


Lumber industry--Olympia--1920-1930; Plywood; Sawmills--Olympia;

BOLAND-B2716

These plain, but functional, wooden cottages were built for loggers employed by the Linco Log & Lumber Co. The cottages, as seen in March of 1920, were planted in dirt and built tightly side-by-side. Railroad tracks ran directly in front of the houses. These homes are believed to have been located in the Lewis County logging camp owned by Gustaf Lindberg. Linco had an office in Morton and a sawmill in Lindberg, four miles northeast. The company employed 75 men. Gustaf Lindberg, a prominent Scandinavian businessman of Tacoma, had founded the town of Lindberg in 1911 as the company town for Linco. Originally named Coal Canyon, the town was destroyed by fire in 1918 and subsequently rebuilt and renamed for Mr. Lindberg. The town's population remained small and never exceeded 200. Gustaf Lindberg lost ownership of the town and it underwent several name changes. Only ruins of the mill, brick homes and company store remain. G69.1-151 (www.drizzle.com/~jtenlen/walewis/townsal.html)


Dwellings--Lewis County; Linco Log & Lumber Co.; Railroad tracks--Lewis County; Lumber industry--Lewis County; Lumber camps--Lewis County;

BOLAND-B2721

This is a view of the Linco Log & Lumber Co. mill as seen in March of 1920. It was located in central Lewis County in the small logging community of Lindberg, just a few miles from Morton. Lindberg (formerly known as Coal Canyon) was founded by Tacoma businessman Gustaf Lindberg as the company town for Linco Log & Lumber. G36.1-081


Linco Log & Lumber Co.; Lumber industry--Lewis County; Lumber camps--Lewis County;

BOLAND-B2724

West Fork Logging Co.; Spar Pole. One of the ways to get logs from a remote location to the railroad car was the use of "High Lead" logging. It involved a main cable passed from the engine drum of a "donkey" through a block at the top of a tall spar tree (or pole.) A spar was a 150 to over 200 foot tree with the branches trimmed away and the top lopped off by a "high climber." The cable, powered by the steam donkey, could then be used to pull the logs to the dump. West Fork Logging was located in Mineral in Lewis County and had an office in the Tacoma Building. L.T. Murray was the president and H.E. Post was the secretary. G75.1-091


West Fork Logging Co. (Mineral); Lumber industry--1920-1930;

BOLAND-B4566

On September 2, 1921, a steam powered cargo ship from the Luckenbach Line was docked at the Tidewater Mill, 3901 E. 11th St. The Tidewater had been opened in 1918 and was capable of producing 100,000 board feet a day. The majority of its products were shipped for export. The mill was built with a frontage of 750 feet of deep water, allowing the company to load several vessels at a time. The Luckenbach Steamship Co., 1850-1974, was one of the longest-lived and most successful U.S. shipping companies. It was started in 1850 by Lewis Luckenbach and grew to be a major force in intercoastal trade. (TDL 12/22/1918, pg. B-8; www.nationalflaggen.de) G49.1-074


Tidewater Mill Co. (Tacoma); Lumber industry--Tacoma--1920-1930; Cargo ships--1920-1930; Logs;

BOLAND G73.1-028

ca. 1918. The view down Rainier Ave. in Port Gamble, circa 1918. Port Gamble is one of the few surviving examples of a company town. It was built by the Puget Mill which, when it closed in 1995, was the oldest continuously operating mill in the nation. On the left is the mill office and general store, built in 1916. The store sold groceries, supplies and dry goods to the workers, as well as serving as their communication center by posting news of the world on their billboards. It is still in operation today, although the store now caters to tourists and a museum occupies the basement. Further down the street can be seen the water towers that supplied the town. (Historylink.org) Boland #22


Lumber industry--Port Gamble; Puget Mill Co. (Port Gamble); General stores--Port Gamble;

Results 151 to 180 of 807