Showing 151690 results

Collections
Item
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

68627 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

BOLAND-B10245

In June of 1924, this Puget Sound Electric Railway bus, that traveled between Tacoma and Olympia, provided every comfort that a discriminating rider could demand. Quality features in the new bus included a hot water heating system that provided odorless heat (and eliminated the chance of burned shoes and clothing), extra lighting, ventilation, safety signals for the driver, and high back seats that could be tilted for extra comfort. The body, mounted on a White 50 chassis, was built by the Modern Auto Body Works at 2357 Fawcett Avenue in Tacoma. The bus, with its sleek lines and multiple passenger doors, sported a distinctive gray and green exterior with a crimson stripe. (Tacoma Sunday Ledger, 6-15-24, 12-G) G66.1-021


Buses--Tacoma--1920-1930; Puget Sound Electric Railway (Tacoma);

BOLAND-B10254

A large crowd of curious spectators gathered on Pacific Avenue outside the Charles F. Lewis (Hats) store on Saturday, June 7, 1924, to await the unveiling of the "Mystery Car." One man is crouched next to the shrouded hood, perhaps in preparation to flip off the car's covering. The "Mystery Car," type unidentified, proved to be a car finished at the Tacoma Duco Co. with the new Duco finish which was becoming popular nationwide. The Duco finish was now appearing on the latest models of cars direct from the factory. TPL-5552; G32.1-058 (Tacoma Sunday Ledger, 6-15-24, G-11)


Commercial streets--Tacoma--1920-1930; Spectators--Tacoma--1920-1930; Crowds--Tacoma--1920-1930; Automobiles--Tacoma--1920-1930;

BOLAND G67.1-0456

On June 9, 1924, the graduating students and faculty at the College of Puget Sound gathered to bid farewell to the old campus at 602 North Sprague Avenue (now the site of Jason Lee Middle School.) The building was constructed in 1903 from a design by George W. Bullard; and demolished in 1924 after the college moved to its new location at 1500 North Warner. The 21st Commencement Exercises were held on the morning of June 11th at Jones Hall on the new campus. (TNT 6/11/1924, pg. 11) Boland# B10257


College of Puget Sound (Tacoma)--1920-1930; Universities & colleges--Tacoma--1920-1930;

BOLAND-B10267

In June of 1924, the Bryant School baseball team claimed the North End Pennant for the Grammar School League by winning 8 straight games against 8 different teams. Posing proudly in the lower row are Bruno Manarino, Charles Burr, Earl Butler & Lavern Kolstead (plus two young men unidentified in the paper.) Top row, left to right, Eugene Dix, Francis Voliginy, Grant Evans, Robert Lacy, Principal R.F. Bown, Arthur Westle, Clement Nelson and Delbert Bowler. Bryant School was located at 708 South Ainsworth Avenue. The school, designed by Bullard & Bullard, was used for 70 years, from 1890-1961, by Tacoma students. It was demolished after the construction of a new school. (TNT 6/12/1924, pg. 17) G46.1-022


Public schools--Tacoma--1920-1930; School children--Tacoma--1920-1930; Bryant Elementary School (Tacoma); Baseball players--Tacoma--1920-1930;

BOLAND-B10279

North end neighborhoods in 1924. These homes on North Puget Sound Avenue near North 30th St. overlooked Commencement Bay. Houses were buffeted from traffic by large expanses of grass between the sidewalks and neighboring streets. G58.1-065


Neighborhoods--Tacoma--1920-1930; Residential streets--Tacoma--1920-1930; Dwellings--Tacoma--1920-1930; Commencement Bay (Wash.);

BOLAND-B10276

Homes on North Puget Sound Avenue below North 30th St., as photographed on June 11, 1924. These upscale houses had magnificent views of Commencement Bay. Long walkways connected the homes with adjacent sidewalks. G58.1-064


Neighborhoods--Tacoma--1920-1930; Residential streets--Tacoma--1920-1930; Dwellings--Tacoma--1920-1930; Commencement Bay (Wash.);

BOLAND-B10294

Three men operating machinery at an Olympia sawmill in June of 1924. Photograph taken on behalf of Pacific Mutual Door Co. G75.1-025


Sawmills--Olympia; Machinery; Lumber industry--Olympia--1920-1930;

BOLAND-B10298

Small sheets of plywood are being loaded from an Olympia sawmill directly onto a Northern Pacific car by three men on June 12, 1924. These will be used by the Pacific Mutual Door Co. G75.1-023


Lumber industry--Olympia--1920-1930; Plywood; Sawmills--Olympia; Railroad freight cars--Olympia;

BOLAND-B10287

Plywood operations. Workers at this Olympia sawmill are pictured in June of 1924 during daily plywood operations. Sheets of plywood are being laid out; stacks of plywood are in the fore-and-background. Photograph ordered by Pacific Mutual Door Co. G75.1-026


Lumber industry--Olympia--1920-1930; Plywood; Sawmills--Olympia;

BOLAND-B10280

This is Miss Anna B. Quigley's 6A class standing in front of the entrance to Lowell School, 1210 North Yakima Avenue, in June of 1924. Two girls in the front row hold a scroll indicating that the class was a "Savings Banner Room." The scroll was given by the Education Thrift Service headquartered in New York. Each Tuesday was banking day at Tacoma Public Schools and each week Miss Quigley's class had the greatest percentage of depositors at Lowell. Her class were perennial winners. TPL-2331; G46.1-105 (Tacoma Sunday Ledger, 6-15-24, 4-A)


Lowell Elementary School (Tacoma); Public schools--Tacoma--1920-1930; School children--Tacoma--1920-1930; Teachers--Tacoma--1920-1930; Quigley, Anna B.;

BOLAND-B10295

Five workers are pictured on June 12, 1924, in an Olympia mill loading sheets of plywood for the Pacific Mutual Door Co. The men wear gloves, overalls and the ever-present caps. G75.1-024


Lumber industry--Olympia--1920-1930; Sawmills--Olympia; Plywood;

BOLAND-B10284

On June 12, 1924, two unidentified workers lean their hands against the enormous cut log which will soon be hoisted and processed. The log will be made into sheets of plywood to be used by the Pacific Mutual Door Co. This photograph, in addition to a number of plywood operations shots, was taken in Olympia on behalf of the company. G75.1-027


Logs; Lumber industry--Olympia--1920-1930; Hoisting machinery;

BOLAND G65.1-008

On June 13, 1924, five usherettes, all with the latest in bobbed hair, posed in their new summer uniforms, blousy top and slacks in combinations of black and orange, in front of the Colonial Theater, 916-18 Broadway. The women were identified by the News Tribune as, left to right, Evelyn Durrin (head usher,) Mary Marko, Isobelle Pallis (assistant head usher,) Mildred Barnes and one unidentified usherette. The marquee advertised "The Last Hour" with Milton Sills, Carmel Myers, Walter Long and Pat O'Malley, which opened June 14, 1924 and ran at the Colonial for one week. "The Last Hour" was issued in 1923 by Mastadon Films. The Colonial Theater was designed by Roland Borhek and built in 1914. In the thirties, it became the Beverly Theater and in the 40's the Telenews Theater. It has since been demolished. Boland B10313, BU 11,145 (TNT 6/19/24, pg. 8)


Colonial Theater (Tacoma); Motion picture theaters--Tacoma--1920-1930; Ushers--Tacoma--1920-1930; Motion picture industry--1920-1930;

BOLAND-B10303

Union Pacific engine #3222 as viewed on June 13, 1924. The powerful locomotive was on the tracks at the Union Depot. TPL-66; G45.1-004


Railroad locomotives--Tacoma; Union Pacific Railroad Co. (Tacoma);

BOLAND-B10336

The vessel "Lewis Luckenbach" of the Luckenbach Line was berthed at the Port of Tacoma on June 20, 1924, to take on a shipment of lumber. Cargo is being hoisted from a Foss barge while other barges loaded with lumber wait their turn. The big carrier would be in town for eight days while its eight hatches were filled with a little more than seven million feet of lumber. The "Lewis Luckenbach" was the largest vessel of the entire Luckenbach Line. G49.1-097 (TNT 6-18-24, p. 16-article; TNT 6-19-24, p. 5-alternate photograph)


Cargo ships--1920-1930; Shipping--Tacoma--1920-1930; Port of Tacoma (Tacoma);

BOLAND-B10337

The "Commercial Guide" is in port on June 20, 1924, awaiting a shipment of lumber to be hoisted aboard by crane. To the rear is the "Lewis Luckenbach " from the Luckenbach Line. Both cargo ships were docked at the Port of Tacoma. The "Commercial Guide" left Tacoma on June 22, 1924, under the command of Captain Jack Wright. She was part of the Moore & McCormick's regular intercoastal service. G49.1-105 (TNT 6-23-24, p. 15-small article on the "Commercial Guide")


Cargo ships--1920-1930; Shipping--Tacoma--1920-1930; Port of Tacoma (Tacoma); Hoisting machinery;

BOLAND-B10359

A large contingent of druggists and their wives pose outside the Hotel Tacoma on June 23, 1924. The style of the day called for hats, long dresses and ankle-length coats for the women and standard business attire for the men. They were preparing to join a caravan of 50 and more cars to Olympia for a three-day convention. In addition, the Tacoma druggists met delegations of fellow pharmacists from other parts of Washington state who were on the way to the Olympia annual convention and took them on brief tours of Tacoma. G30.1-097 (TNT 6-19-24, p. 8-article; TDL 6-24-24, p.12)


Pharmacists--Tacoma--1920-1930; Tacoma Hotel (Tacoma);

BOLAND-B10357

Piles of lumber wait to be loaded onto the ship "West Nimrod" on June 24, 1924, at Tidewater Mill. The vast size of the "West Nimrod" can be compared to the much smaller tugboat nearby. A barge filled with cargo is directly next to the ship. The "West Nimrod," of the Admiral-Oriental line, arrived in Tacoma late Sunday, June 22nd. She was to stow lumber for Hong Kong and other Asian ports. G49.1-099 (TDL 6-23-24, p. 10-article)


Cargo ships--1920-1930; Shipping--Tacoma--1920-1930; Tugboats--Tacoma--1920-1930; Piers & wharves--Tacoma--1920-1930;

BOLAND-B10355

A beaming "Miss Tacoma," Chonita Lazelle Rudides, sits on board a new Dodge sedan provided by Griffith Motors in June of 1924. A small banner identifying her title is attched to the passenger side doors. Miss Rudides, who represented the Tacoma Avenue Improvement Club, was selected as "Miss Tacoma" on June 20th. 15 civic and improvement clubs had chosen winsome young ladies as candidates for the title. Photograph ordered by Griffith Motor Co. G42.1-137 (TNT 6-21-24, p. 2-article)


Beauty contestants--Tacoma--1920-1930; Rudides, Chonita Lazelle; Dodge automobile; Griffith Motor Co. (Tacoma);

BOLAND-B10367

This ship may be the "Lewis Luckenbach" from the Luckenbach Line which had previously been taking on lumber at the Port of Tacoma dock on June 24, 1924. It has now have moved onto the St. Paul & Tacoma dock for more shipments. The "Lewis Luckenbach," largest vessel of the entire Luckenbach Line, had already loaded 5,780,000 feet of lumber at the Port piers. Another 1,300,000 feet would be taken on board at the St. Paul & Tacoma dock. The lumber would be carried to the Atlantic coast by Captain Read, master of the ship for the last 15 years. G49.1-095 (TNT 6-18-24, p. 16-article; TNT 6-19-24, p. 5-alternate photograph)


Cargo ships--1920-1930; Shipping--Tacoma--1920-1930;

BOLAND-B10375

Uniformed delivery drivers for L. Schoenfeld & Sons pose in front of their trucks in June of 1924. The man on the far right with white shirt, tie and overalls is George Bader, son of Adolf Bader founding member of Holy Rosary Parish. The men had recently been supplied with uniforms patterned after the military, including knee high boots. Customers were able to readily identify these Schoenfeld representatives. The home furnishings store had just moved to their new location in the remodeled Sandberg Building, 1423 Pacific Avenue, two months before. Schoenfeld's was proud of their new home: the public had been invited to inspect the new quarters on Tuesday, April 29, 1924, but there would be no sales the first day. The entire staff acted as guides to show visitors around the 12-story skyscraper and nothing was sold. Schoenfeld's would remain in the same location for the next 72 years before closing in November of 1996. The 12-story concrete building, with the Schoenfeld name blazed in multi-foot lettering, was a familiar sight for the thousands who traveled on Pacific Avenue throughout the years. Additional information provided by Mr. Bader's grandson, Mark. TPL-1875; G35.1-009 (TDL 7-20-24, A-9, alternate photograph)


L. Schoenfeld & Sons (Tacoma); L. Schoenfeld & Sons--Employees; Uniforms; Home furnishing stores--Tacoma--1920-1930; Furniture stores--Tacoma--1920-1930; Trucks--Tacoma--1920-1930;

BOLAND-B10382

On June 28, 1924, two unidentified men examined fittings for the SS Bienville, a 445-foot combination freight and passenger vessel built by Todd Dry Dock & Construction. The castings were specially made for the steel freight vessel which would be launched on July 16, 1924. G37.1-179


Cast ironwork--Tacoma;

BOLAND-B10383

Elevated view on June 30, 1924, of a cargo ship from the Luckenbach Line and others berthed at the St. Paul & Tacoma dock. The vessels were taking on shipments of lumber and other cargo. G50.1-001


Cargo ships--1920-1930; Shipping--Tacoma--1920-1930;

BOLAND-B10395

Progress photograph of the construction of the Hotel Winthrop. Work continues on the building of the eleven story hotel by Pratt & Watson contractors in July of 1924. It appears that construction has reached the fourth floor. A notice has already been posted that the stores in the hotel will be under the management of the W.H. Opie & Co. (photograph has been stained)


Hotel Winthrop (Tacoma)--Construction; Building construction--Tacoma--1920-1930; Signs (Notices); Progress photographs;

BOLAND-B10398

Tent display on Center Street. An enterprising businessman, probably the individual seated below the banner advertising "Demostration Camp The Campers Supply," has set up an outdoor display of tent and camping equipment along Center Street in July of 1924. Tents could be rented or presumably purchased. They ranged from the small "pup" tents to others that would fit a family. G45.1-010


Merchandise displays--Tacoma--1920-1930; Tents; Banners; Signs (Notices);

BOLAND-B10400

The "Lewis Luckenbach" of the Luckenbach Line is in the process of loading lumber at the Port of Tacoma dock when this photograph was taken on a cloudy July 2, 1924. Several hundred board feet have already been transported onto the ship. G49.1-050


Cargo ships--1920-1930; Shipping--Tacoma--1920-1930; Piers & wharves--Tacoma--1920-1930;

Results 2131 to 2160 of 151690