Showing 9 resultsCollections
8 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects
Part of Lost Tacoma Project Collection
Eight technical drawing of architectural alterations for the New York Waist House, created by Sutton & Whitney on September 24, 1919. The address is a part of the Wheeler building, which was constructed in 1890. The space was originally occupied by the Sherman, Clay and Co. which opened in 1906. The New York Waist House was a tailoring and alterations shop managed by Ernest Simon. The structure was demolished in 1925.
Albert Sutton was born in Victoria, British Columbia, raised in Portland, Oregon and graduated from the University of California in Berkeley. His first architectural partnership was with James Pickles in 1888, followed by a brief collaboration with Ambrose Russell which lasted only two years when Sutton relocated to San Francisco. When he returned to Tacoma, Sutton formed a partnership with Harrison A. Whitney and Earl Dugan in 1912. This partnership would last until 1923 when Sutton would die suddenly from heart failure. Albert Sutton was a 33rd degree Mason, the highest rank within the organization.
Harrison Allen Whitney was born in Osage, Iowa and graduated from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in architecture. After working in Boston and Chicago, Whitney moved to Portland, Oregon as head draftsman for Whidden & Lewis. This position led to Whitney contributing designs for the Lewis and Clark Exposition and the Multnomah County Courthouse. In 1912, Whitney partnered with Albert Sutton and would retain Sutton's name in his architectural firm long after his death in 1923.