Tacoma News Tribune Photograph Files

Tacoma - Sister City - 1 Tacoma - Sister City - 2 Tacoma Public Library - Branches - 1 Tacoma Public Library - Branches - 2 Tacoma Public Library - Branches - 3 Tacoma Public Library - Branches - 4 Tacoma Public Library - Branches - 5 Tacoma Public Library - Branches - 6 Tacoma Public Library - Branches - 7 Tacoma Public Library - Branches - 8 Tacoma Public Library - Branches - 9 Tacoma Public Library - Branches - 10 Tacoma Public Library - Branches - 11 Tacoma Public Library - Branches - 12 Penton, Rev. Bob - 1 Penton, Rev. Bob - 2 Penton, Rev. Bob - 3 Tacoma Public Library - Branches - 13 Tacoma Public Library - Branches - 14 Herbert, Frank - 1
Results 1 to 20 of 1357 Show all

Identity elements

Reference code

5.1.2

Name and location of repository

Level of description

Title

Tacoma News Tribune Photograph Files

Date(s)

Extent

Name of creator

(1883-Present)

Biographical history

The Tacoma News Tribune’s history dates to 1883 and was the consolidation of three Tacoma newspapers, The Tacoma Daily Tribune, The Tacoma News, and The Daily Tacoma Ledger.

In 1881, the Weekly Ledger was started by F. Radebaugh and H.C. Patrick, under the firm name Radebaugh & Company. Previously, Radebaugh had served on the reportorial staff of the San Franscico Chronical. He had first visited Tacoma in June 1879. Radebaugh became familiar with Patrick, who owned and operated a weekly newspaper in Santa Cruz. The two came to an agreement to move the business to Tacoma with Radebaugh as the paper’s editor and Patrick as the business manager. The paper quickly became a success and Radebaugh bought out Patrick’s share. Until 1837, The Ledger served as a morning paper. Its name remained on the nameplate of The News Tribune and Sunday Ledger until 1979.

H.C. Patrick purchased the Pierce County News from George W. Mattice and changed the paper’s name to the Tacoma Weekly News. The News was then converted into a daily on September 25, 1883; however, he later sold The Daily News in 1885. R. F. Radebaugh started The Tacoma Daily Tribune in 1908 and sold the publication in 1912 to Frank S. Baker. Baker would go on to purchase the News and Ledger in 1918. Baker was the president of the Tribune Publishing Company and was a highly regarded newspaper man of the western United States. The News and Tribune were combined into an afternoon daily and the first issue was printed on June 17, 1918.

In 1937, The Daily Tacoma Ledger stopped publication. The News Tribune is merged with the Ledger to form The News Tribune and Sunday Ledger. Then in 1979 The Tacoma News Tribune became the official name of both daily and Sunday newspapers. During 1986, Tribune Publishing Company sold the majority of its holdings to Viacom, Inc., and McClatchy Newspapers. That year, the Tacoma News Tribune became a subsidiary of McClatchy Newspapers. McClatchy Newspapers is the second largest newspaper publisher in the United States, and it originally started as Sacramento newspaper in 1857. The Tacoma News Tribune became The Morning News Tribune on April 6, 1987, until October 4, 1993, when name changes to The News Tribune.

Content and structure elements

Scope and content

Includes photographs organized by topic and maintained by TNT staff. Some files may include a single photograph while others may contain many different photographs.

System of arrangement

The original order of the photographs as received has been maintained. The titles of the files have been recorded exactly as they appeared at the time of receipt by the Tacoma Public Library. In some cases, additional loose images may have been added to a file if the file title was a reasonable match for the content of the photo. The photographs are arranged in several alphabetical runs: Subject, People (organized alphabetically by last name), People - Business (organized alphabetically by last name), and Sports.

Conditions of access and use elements

Conditions governing access

Technical access

Conditions governing reproduction

Copyright of these images is held by the Tacoma News Tribune. This material may be used for the following purposes: public/community art, non-profit museum exhibition, and educational purposes. The following credit line is required:

Copyright Tacoma News Tribune, Image Number TNT___, Tacoma Public Library Northwest Room.

Permission for commercial uses must be secured through PARS International (https://www.parsintl.com/publisher/mcclatchy/).

Languages of the material

Scripts of the material

Language and script notes

Finding aids

Custodial history

Immediate source of acquisition

Tacoma News Tribune, May 2021

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information

Accruals

Related materials elements

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related archival materials

Related descriptions

Notes element

General note

Digitized images will continually be added and will be linked to their associated file. Requests for digitization may be submitted to nwr@tacomalibrary.org. A fee may be required.

Specialized notes

Alternative identifier(s)

Rules or conventions

Sources used

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places