Open original Digital object

Identity elements

Reference code

Name and location of repository

Level of description





  • 1870 (Creation)


Name of creator

Content and structure elements

Scope and content

ca. 1870. On October 9, 1963, the Pierce County Pioneer & Historical Association dedicated a marker on the site of the old Steilacoom jail. The marker was made of imported red Swedish granite on which was carved a view of the (pictured) two-story jailhouse. The jail was built in 1858 by George W. Manville, Spanaway architect and contractor. It was the first brick jail north of the Columbia, the first Pierce County jail, and the first jail in the Washington Territory. It was located at 1800 Starling Street, between Balch & Main. Moses Spicer, elected in 1859, was the first jailer. It served as a jail until 1881 and then was used to store government records. In 1910 Dr. S.M. LaCrone and his wife purchased the old jail; the LaCrones lived on the top floor. The jail was demolished in 1944. (TNT 10-6-63, A-1)


System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use elements

Conditions governing access

Technical access

Conditions governing reproduction

Languages of the material

Scripts of the material

Language and script notes

Finding aids

Acquisition and appraisal elements

Custodial history

Immediate source of acquisition

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information


Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related archival materials

Related descriptions

Notes element

Specialized notes

Alternative identifier(s)

Rules or conventions

Sources used

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Digital object metadata

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres