Showing 60 results

Collections
General Photograph Collection Ships Image
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

60 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

TPL-4288

ca. 1904. U.S.S. Tacoma on maiden voyage to Tacoma after being commissioned on January 30, 1904. She was laid down on September 27, 1900, at Mare Island, California by Union Iron Works and launched on June 2, 1903. The ship was the second "Tacoma" and was Cruiser No. 18. She was under the command of Comdr. R.F. Nicholson. After her visit to Tacoma she voyaged to Hawaii in the spring of 1904 and then, after returning to San Francisco, proceeded to sail for Cape Horn. In the next couple of years the busy "Tacoma" voyaged to Hispaniola, Europe and the Mediterranean. She spent the next ten years providing service on the east coast and cruising the Caribbean and West Indies to protect American interests there. More cruising involving the Canal Zone, Costa Rica, Nicaragua and Honduras followed. After a short spell in reserve, she once again began patrolling in 1912 where she cruised the Gulf of Mexico, Nicaragua, Honduras and Guatemala. The "Tacoma" cruised the Mexican coast in 1914 and then to Haiti. After another stint in reserve in 1916 she was fully commissioned for patrol duty. The warship made five round trips to Europe protecting US convoys once the United States entered World War l. The "Tacoma" ran aground on January 16, 1924 near Vera Cruz. She was unable to be freed and her name was struck from the Navy list in February of 1924. (Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, p.7-8-article)


Cruisers (Warships)--United States--1900-1910;

TPL-1030

ca. 1896. A two-masted sailing ship is docked on Tacoma's waterfront circa 1896 at the Northern Pacific Railroad's Ocean Freight warehouse to take on cargo. In the background to the left is the Crescent Creamery at what is now 100 Schuster Parkway. The creamery was built in 1890 and demolished about 1920.


Shipping--Tacoma--1890-1900; Sailing ships--Tacoma--1890-1900; Warehouses--Tacoma--1890-1900; Crescent Creamery (Tacoma); Waterfronts--Tacoma--1890-1900;

TS-58803

Spartan. Wrecked at Spreckelscille on the island of Hawaii August 17, 1905. The Spartan was first owned on the Pacific Coast by P. B. Cornwall of San Francisco. She was built 1874 in Boston by R. E. Jackson. (Gibbs, Jim. Pacific Square-Riggers : Pictorial History of the Great Windships of Yesteryear. 1987. Pg. 87.)


Sailing ships;

TS-58806

Muskoka. British. 300ft. Hull: Steel. (Gibbs, Jim. Pacific Square-Riggers : Pictorial History of the Great Windships of Yesteryear. 1987. Pg. 220.)


Sailing ships; barques; barks;

TS-58827

The four masted steel barque 'Springburn', 2655 tons, under sail [steel 4 mast barque, 2655 tons, ON98318, 296.0 x 45.6 x 25.7. Built 1892 (2) Barclay, Curle and Co. Glasgow. Owners: R Shankland and Co., registered Greenock, 1906 sold to AD Bordes et Fils, and renamed 'Alexandre'. Sunk during WW1. State Library of South Australia, B 3456, PRG 1218/3 or OH 456/1, Digital Collections, South Australiana Collection, Photographs, A. d. Edwardes Collection, https://collections.slsa.sa.gov.au/resource/PRG+1373/11/90


Sailing ships; Barques; Barks;

TS-58832

Grenada. The four-masted steel barque 'Grenada', 2268 tons, anchored in an unidentified port [steel 4 mast barque, 2268 tons. ON104591, 278.4 x 42.0 x 24.1. Built 1894 (11) Russell and Co. Greenock. Owners: P Denniston and Co. registered Glasgow c.1900 Lang and Fulton then Gwalia Shipping Co. (Roberts, Owen and Co. ) Captured by German submarine 32 miles SW by S from Beachy Head, Nov. 22, 1916 and sunk by gunfire. (State Library of South Australia, B 3456, PRG 1218/3 or OH 456/1, Digital Collections, South Australiana Collection, Photographs, A. D. Edwardes Collection, https://collections.slsa.sa.gov.au/resource/PRG+1373/17/60)


Sailing ships; barks; barques;

TS-58843

Abner Coburn. Built 1882 by William Rogers in Bath, ME. Tonnage 1,972, length 225', beam 43'2", depth 18'5". Managed by builder, later by Pendelton, Carver & Nichols. Sold in 1900 to California Shipping Co., San Francisco, and in 1912 to Libby, McNeill & Libby, salmon canners. Burned about 1929 for her metal. (William Armstrong Fairburn. Merchant Sail. Fairburn Marine Educational Foundation, Inc., Center Lovell, Maine, 1945-1955, III: 1685; V: 3223)


Sailing ships;

TS-58844

Antigone. Iron bark, built 1889 in Kiel, Germany. Lenght 236', tonnage 1,490. Operated out of Hamburg, Germany, under the ownership of M. G. Amsinck. (Gibbs, Jim. Pacific Square-Riggers. West Chester, Pa. : Schiffer Pub., c1987. Pg. 116)


Sailing ships; Barks; Barques;

TDS-013

ca. 1888. Two ships sit at dock next to the Tacoma coal bunkers while three more ships lay at anchor in Commencement Bay in this photograph from 1888. The enormous bunkers along the waterfront enabled Tacoma to become, briefly, the leading coaling station on the Pacific Coast. In 1879-180, the Northern Pacific built a branch railroad up the Puyallup River valley and opened the Pierce County field in Wilkeson, Carbonado, and Fairfax. The first commercial coke plant was established and put into operation by the Tacoma Coal and Coke Company in 1888. TPL-8327


Ore industry--Tacoma--1880-1890; Coal--Tacoma--1880-1890; Cargo ships--Tacoma--1880-1890; Sailing ships--1880-1890

TPL-1083

Undated photograph of gas powered ship the "Fossberg" in City Waterway (now Foss Waterway.) 11th Street bridge at left. This is believed to be the largest of Foss Launch & Tug Co.'s launches, a 15 ton, 100-hp engine and 64-feet in length. She was built in 1912 in Gig Harbor as a combination passenger and freight boat. Passengers and freight were able to be transported to and from ships. In addition, excursion parties and groups of workers were carried to destinations around the Tacoma area. The "Fossberg" also put in extra duty as a tug. (Skalley, Foss Ninety Years of Towboating, p. 32-article)


Foss Launch & Tug Co. (Tacoma); Launches--Tacoma; Boats--Tacoma; 11th Street Bridge (Tacoma);

TS-58802

Ship name: Sooloo. Full-rigger. Built at East Boston in 1861 by John and Justin Taylor for the old Salem house of Sislbee, Pickman & Allen, who owned her until 1887. Portrait of a Port: Boston 1852-1914, by W. H. Bunting, p. 342.


Sailing ships;

TS-58805

Cedarbank. The four-masted steel barque 'Cedarbank', 2825 tons. 2825 tons, 326.0 x 43.0 x 24.5. Built 1892 Mackie and Thomson, Glasgow. Owners A Weir and Co. registered Glasgow, later Norwegian owners without change of name. Reported wrecked in 1917 although she remained in Lloyds for a few years after. (State Library of South Australia, B 3456, PRG 1218/3 or OH 456/1, Digital Collections, South Australiana Collection, Photographs, A. D. Edwardes Collection, https://collections.slsa.sa.gov.au/resource/PRG+1373/18/76)


Sailing ships; Barques; Barks;

TS-58817

Barkentine Monitor Formerly a unit of the Nelson Line fleet, was sold to the Interstate Fish Reduction Co., organized by E. B. McGovern of Seattle, and converted to a fish reduction plant, one of the largest on the coast and capable of processing 40 tons of sardine, pilchard or herring per hour into fish oil and meal. Capt. W. C. Ansell was appointed master of the Monitor, which carried a complement of 40 crew members and plant workers. (Gordon Newell, Maritime events of 1936, H.W. McCurdy Marine History of the Pacific Northwest., p. 448.)


Sailing ships; Barques; Barks;

TS-58821

Snow & Burgess Built as a full-rigged ship at Thomaston, Maine in 1878 by Thomas Watts. Converted to a fiveΓÇômasted schooner on the West Coast in 1904. 1655 gross tons. Burned for junk in 1922 after arriving at Port Townsand from Manila with a broken back, a year earlier. (Gibbs, Jim. Pacific Square-Riggers : Pictorial History of the Great Windships of Yesteryear. 1987. Pg. 190.)


Sailing ships; Schooneers;

TS-58824

Snow & Burgess. Built as a full-rigged ship at Thomaston, Maine in 1878 by Thomas Watts. Converted to a fiveΓÇômasted schooner on the West Coast in 1904. 1655 gross tons. Burned for junk in 1922 after arriving at Port Townsand from Manila with a broken back, a year earlier. (Gibbs, Jim. Pacific Square-Riggers : Pictorial History of the Great Windships of Yesteryear. 1987. Pg. 190.)


Sailing ships; Schooneers;

TS-58826B

A. J. Fuller. Built in 1881 in Bath, Maine, the 1849 ton, 229 foot, square rigged ship, A.J. Fuller was originally a notable Down east sky sail-yarder for the Flint & Company fleet. Purchased at the turn of the century by the California Shipping Company and subsequently by Capt- Dermot, she was engaged for several years in the Puget Sound-Australian timber trade. After the outbreak of World War I the A.J. Fuller sailed under the Northwestern Fisheries Company in the Alaskan salmon trade. On October 30, 1919 she arrived in Seattle with a full load of salmon and salt. While sitting at anchor in a dense fog, the steamship Mexico Maru entered the port on a regular trans-Pacific run and collided with the A.J. Fuller. The ten foot hole torn in the bow of the wooden ship caused her to rapidly sink. Although salvage was deemed possible the underwriters decided against it. The approximate position of the A.J. Fuller is 2000 ft offshore of Harbor Island at a depth of 240 feet. (Newell, Gordon


Sailing ships;

TS-58834

Americana. Schooner built in 1892 om Grangemouth, Scotland. Vanished en route from Astoria to Sydney in 1913. (Pacific square-riggers; pictorial history of the great windships of yesteryear, by Jim Gibbs, p. 183)


Sailing ships;

TS-58838

Abner Coburn. The 1,972-ton wooden ship Abner Coburn, built by William Rogers at Bath, Maine in 1882, was acquired from California Shipping Co. by Libby, McNeil & Libby, making annual voyages to Bristol Bay for the next 11 years. Gordon Newell, "Maritime events of 1912" H.W. McCurdy Marine History of the Pacific Northwest.,p. 201-202.


Sailing ships;

Results 31 to 60 of 60