Showing 595 results

Collections
Boats Image With digital objects
Print preview View:

D135632-1A

Launching of Boeing hydrofoil High Point. On August 17, 1962, the 110-foot submarine chaser High Point was launched at Martinac Shipbuilding. Boeing had started to adapt many of the systems used in jet airplanes for hydrofoils. The High Point was one of two hydrofoils launched in 1962; the Little Squirt, a 20-foot boat propelled by waterjet, was the other. Standing before the PCH-1 is the longtime president of Boeing, William M. Allen and spouse, J.S. Martinac of Martinac Shipbuilding, Vice Adm. Homer N. Wallin, USN (Ret) and spouse. Mrs. Allen, clutching a large bouquet of long stemmed roses, was the vessel's sponsor. The Patrol Craft Hydrofoil No. 1 was named for the city in North Carolina. (www.boeing.com/history; TNT 8-18-62, A-1)


Launchings--Tacoma--1960-1970; Hydroplanes--Tacoma; Boat & ship industry--Tacoma--1960-1970; J.M. Martinac Shipbuilding Corp. (Tacoma); Allen, William M.; Martinac, J.S.; Wallin, Homer N.;

D137300-4

ca. 1963. Tacoma at night. View of two ships docked at the City Waterway in 1963 with lights from downtown buildings making blurred reflections on the calm water. This was probably part of the 1963 Richards Studio stock file. TPL-2270


Ships--Tacoma; City Waterway (Tacoma); Reflections;

D138249-7

A Fairliner employee examines plans while surrounded by a flotilla of boats in late April of 1963. The pleasure craft rest, not on the floor, but on wheeled carts for easier maneuvering. Fairliner was a division of Western Boat Building Co.


Boats--Tacoma; Western Boat Building Co. (Tacoma);

D141460-16

Tacoma Boat Building launched the last of a series of four minesweepers, the MS 301, on April 11, 1964. The tugboat pictured above was probably a Foss tug; Foss tugboats were customarily used in the launching of minesweepers built for the Navy by local shipbuilders. The tugs were used to help escort the much larger ships. Here the tug bucked gusty winds to push the new non-magnetic, wood-and-aluminum minesweeper to her outfitting dock on Sitcom Waterway. The 175' long vessel had twin 500 hp diesel engines and cost over $2,000,000. Photograph ordered by Tacoma Boat Building Co., Inc. (TNT 4-13-64, p. 30)


Launchings--Tacoma--1960-1970; Boat & ship industry--Tacoma--1960-1970; Tacoma Boat Building Co., Inc. (Tacoma); Tugboats--Tacoma--1960-1970;

D151655-34

Launching of the "Jeanette C." Built by Tacoma Boatbuilding, the tuna clipper "Jeanette C" was launched on June 6, 1967 at Tacoma Boatbuilding's Plant 2 in the Port Industrial Yard. View of lauching participants in front of the fishing boat, the second of four planned tuna seiners, and the sister ship to the 176-foot "Blue Pacific" previously launched on March 29th. 15-year-old Jeanette Caboz, daughter of skipper-to-be and part owner Manuel Caboz, holds a large bouquet of roses. She christened the ship that is named in her honor. Also pictured is Mrs. William Gillis who assisted Miss Caboz. Presiding at the launching was Tacoma Boat's president, Arnold J. Strom. Photograph ordered by Tacoma Boatbuilding. (TNT 6-6-67, p. 26, TNT 6-7-67, C-4) TPL-8857


Launchings--Tacoma--1960-1970; Boat & ship industry--Tacoma--1960-1970; Fishing boats--Tacoma--1960-1970; Tacoma Boat Building Co., Inc. (Tacoma); Caboz, Jeanette;

D152161-2

View from the 11th St. Bridge of the stern of the fishing vessel, the J.M. Martinac, as she is underway on July 18, 1967. Built by the Martinac Shipbuilding Corp., she was launched on March 27, 1967. The ship, piloted by Lou Brito, was headed for the San Diego area. This was the fifth tuna seiner built by Martinac for Capt. Brito. Photograph ordered by J.M. Martinac Shipbuilding Corp. TPL-9126


Fishing boats--Tacoma--1960-1970; Boat & ship industry--Tacoma--1960-1970; J.M. Martinac Shipbuilding Corp. (Tacoma);

D153528-9

The little tug, the Brynn Foss, trails after the newly launched towboat, the Claudia Foss, on February 24, 1968. The 80-foot vessel was built by Martinolich Shipbuilding for Foss Launch & Tug and slipped into the water at its Taylor Way yard. Her keel was laid on December 1, 1967. Delivery of the vessel was scheduled for April 1st. The Claudia Foss was the first of two 80-foot boats being built for Foss with the second, the Martha Foss, scheduled for a May 15, 1968, launching. She was named for Mrs. Duncan (Claudia) Campbell, daughter-in-law of Barbara Foss Campbell. (TNT 2-25-68, A-8)


Launchings--Tacoma--1960-1970; Tugboats--Tacoma--1960-1970; Boat & ship industry--Tacoma--1960-1970; Martinolich Shipbuilding Corp. (Tacoma); Foss Launch & Tug Co. (Tacoma);

D122507-29

Interiors of the sailboat, the Indra IV, ordered by Edward Benjamin of New Orleans. The pilot house as photographed on August 12, 1959. The controls and navigation equipment for the boat are on the right, the radio equipment on the left. A wide window looks out over the front of the boat. For exterior shots, see D122376, Image # 14 & 21.The boat was built by Western Boat Building. The 62-foot sailing craft contained all the latest technological equipment, including a depth finder, auto pilot, mobile telephone, radio and radar. She was designed to be the ultimate in speed, comfort and ease of sailing. (TNT 7/191/1959, pg. B-2; 7/22/1959, pg. 1)


Sailboats; Western Boat Building Co. (Tacoma); Boat & ship industry--Tacoma--1950-1960;

D122378-21

August, 1959 sea trials of the large sailboat "The Indra IV" built by Western Boat Building Co. for Mr. and Mrs. Edward B. Benjamin of New Orleans. The craft weighed less than 20 tons and carried over 1500 square feet of sails. The masts were hollow aluminum poles, with the main mast 79 feet high. The boat took 10 months to construct and carried the latest in technological equipment including a depth finder, auto pilot, radio telephone and mobile telephone, as well as radar. (TNT 7/19/1959, PG. B-2; 7/22/1959, PG. 1)


Sailboats; Western Boat Building Co. (Tacoma); Boat & ship industry--Tacoma--1950-1960; Ship trials--Tacoma--1950-1960;

TPL-8525

ca. 1915. This 43-foot tug with 14-foot beam, the Foss #12, was constructed by Gig Harbor designer/builder Robert Crawford and entered service in 1914. She was the first Foss vessel planned and ordered exclusively for towing. #12 handled so well that she was also used as a steamer assist vessel and became the area's first motorized fireboat. With a 75 horsepower gas engine, she was capable of pumping 1,000 gallons of water per minute. #12 was hired as the City of Tacoma's fireboat in 1915, a service for which Foss was paid nearly $3,000 a year. The vessel was a favored one and was skippered by Henry and Drew Foss and later by Capt."Bill" Case. She faithfully served the company as a steady workhorse until 1966. Then on July 4, 1967, the hull was towed out into the Bay and set afire as part of the celebration of the Nation's 191st year of Independence. Foss #12 literally went out in a blaze of glory. (photograph courtesy of the William T. Case collection) (Johnson & Skalley: "Foss: A Living Legend;" Skalley: "Foss: Ninety Years of Towboating" )


Case, William T.--Associated objects; Fireboats; Foss Launch & Tug Co. (Tacoma);

TPL-8528

ca. 1921. The steamship "Indianapolis," one of two ships used in the Seattle to Tacoma steamship passenger service, docked at the Municipal Dock. The dock was located on the City Waterway (now the Thea Foss Waterway.) The ships would dock with their bows headed up the channel. The services of a tug would be required to turn the bow of the ships around to head back to Seattle. The Foss #12 and its captain William T. Case were assigned this duty. The "Indianapolis" was launched on May 5, 1904 as a Great Lakes steamship. Her inability to serve the large holiday crowds prompted her sale to the Puget Sound Navigation Co. in October of 1905. The vessel travelled around the Cape and began her new run in April of 1906. She served as a passenger transport from 1906-1938. She was converted in 1933 to a car ferry and scrapped in 1939. (photograph courtesy of the William T. Case collection) ("Ferryboats" by M.S. Kline and G.A. Bayless; "Puget Sound Ferries" Carolyn Neal & Thomas Kilday Janus)


Steamboats--Tacoma--1920-1930; Puget Sound Navigation Co. (Tacoma); Ferries--Tacoma--1920-1930; Marine terminals--Tacoma;

TPL-1074

Undated photograph of the stern-wheeler "Telegraph" docked at The Sumner Iron Works in Everett, Washington. She was built in Everett in 1903 for use in the Seattle-Tacoma run. The "Telegraph" was one of the last stern-wheelers built in Puget Sound. The slender vessel was 153.7 feet long. She was purchased by the Puget Sound Navigation Co. in 1910 and used regularly in routes from Seattle to Bremerton. On April 25, 1912, she was sunk by an errant steamer, the "Alameda," while docked at Seattle's Colman Dock. The "Alameda" had struck the dock, knocking its famous 72-foot tower into Elliott Bay and driving the "Telegraph" as far as the Grand Pacific Dock before sinking the stern-wheeler. The "Telegraph" would live to float another day; it was raised and repaired and remained in service for two more years before laying up. (Dorpat, "Steam Rolled," Seattle Times 3-17-2002; Findlay, Mosquito Fleet of South Puget Sound, p. 107)


Stern wheelers; Steamboats; Sumner Iron Works (Everett);

BOLAND-B16127

Mt. Tacoma (Rainier) is barely visible in the background as boats bob along the Gig Harbor waterfront during the Christmas season in 1926. Harbors in this area are protected making waters calm. TPL-690; G72.1-126


Harbors--Gig Harbor; Waterfronts--Gig Harbor; Rainier, Mount (Wash.);

BOLAND-B16129

This view of fishing boats entering Gig Harbor's protected waters is very similar to a previous Boland photograph, B16128, and taken on the same December day in 1926. Mount Tacoma (Rainier) stands out clearer from the hovering gray clouds. The photograph has been damaged with white spots. TPL-874; G72.1-125B


Harbors--Gig Harbor; Waterfronts--Gig Harbor; Fishing boats--Gig Harbor--1920-1930; Rainier, Mount (Wash.);

BOLAND-B16820

The Kitsap Co. Transportation Co. ferry, believed to be called "Kitsap of Seattle," as viewed on May 13, 1927. This ferry would provide reliable service linking Seattle and the Kitsap peninsula. The Kitsap Co. Transportation Co. would be forced out of business in 1935 due to a strike. Photograph requested by the Washington Navigation Co. G78.1-110 (ws.dot.wa.gov/ferries--article)


Ferries--1920-1930;

BOLAND-B20989

Two unidentified men are gazing upon the operating equipment aboard the new Tacoma Fire Boat No. 1, recently launched and now undergoing installation of five gasoline engines and four pumps. Once operational, the vessel could generate speeds of 18 mph and be able to throw out 10,000 gallons of water per minute. Tacoma's waterfront could be assured that help would come quickly in case of fires. G26.1-040 (TDL 6-8-29, p. 1-article; Tacoma Sunday Ledger 6-9-29, p. 1-article)


Boat engines; Fireboats--Tacoma--1920-1930;

BOLAND-B16874

Bow-view of the ferry "Wollochet." Date of original print is not known; copy made on May 23, 1927. The "Wollochet" was built by the Skansie Shipyards in 1925 for service between Tacoma and Wollochet Bay and Fox Island. Her name would be changed to "Fox Island" while still under service with the Washington Navigation Co. TPL-7914; G66.1-087


Ferries--1920-1930;

TPL-8542

ca. 1942. William L. (Bill) Case and friends aboard his pleasure craft, the "Baby Dumpling." The vessel had a mysterious beginning. She is crafted from a 30 foot lifeboat found abandoned in mid Pacific by the Silveray, a British motorship of the Silver-Java-Pacific line, sailing from the Philippine Islands to Puget Sound. In the craft were oars, two casks of fresh water, empty sea biscuit cartons, a cigaret package from Sidney, Australia and several .38 caliber bullet slugs, but no people. The slugs had punctured the air tanks and made several holes in the craft. No name was on the boat and its original owner was unknown. Foss Tug and Launch purchased the boat from the crew and towed it to their repair yard where Bill L. Case converted it to a pleasure craft. (Photograph courtesy of the William T. Case Collection) (lifeboat story T. Times 8/23/1939, pg. 18)


Case, William L.; Sailboats--Tacoma--1940-1950;

BOLAND-B9565

Foss Launch crew involved in the raising of the sunken 80-ton steamer, "Rubaiyat," which had foundered on September 29, 1923. The 65-foot vessel had left Municipal Dock at 6 p.m. on her way to Seattle. She was heavily loaded with hundreds of cases of canned goods and capsized in Commencement Bay. Four persons died including one woman. The "Rubaiyat" sank within 30 seconds of capsizing and lay in 35 fathoms of water. Foss Launch immediately came to the rescue, putting five boats in the water, and reached the area at the same time as the lifeboat launched by the steamer "Fulton." Previous attempts in 1923 to raise the "Rubaiyat" had failed and the vessel was thought unsalvagable. The men pictured above on March 12, 1924, were successful in raising the ship from Commencement Bay's bottom: (L-R) Walter McCray, diver; H.F. (Fred) Berg of Foss Launch & Tug; Otto Kraus; William McDaniels; George Westerman, engineer; and O.F. Currey. McCray and Berg had obtained title to the hull since the sinking. G50.1-138 (Tacoma Sunday Ledger, 9-30-23, p. 1-article); TDL 3-13-24, p. 10)


Foss Launch & Tug Co. (Tacoma)--employees; Foss Launch & Tug Co. (Tacoma); Tugboats--Tacoma--1920-1930; McCray, Walter; Berg, H.F.; Kraus, Otto; McDaniels, William; Westerman, George; Currey, O.F.;

BOLAND-B9957

The tug, "Andrew Foss," flagship of the Foss Launch & Tug Company fleet, was undergoing painting and general repair for the summer season on April 27, 1924, along with the 57-foot purse seiner "Mercury of Tacoma." Both ships were on the ways at Western Boat Building. Henry Foss, son of Andrew and Thea Foss, is believed to be standing on the left below the tug's stern along with an unidentified man. Photograph ordered by Foss Launch & Tug Co. TPL-3681; G50.1-149 (TNT 4-26-24, p. 11-article only)


Tugboats--Tacoma--1920-1930; Foss Launch & Tug Co. (Tacoma); Fishing boats--Tacoma--1920-1930;

BOLAND-B12330

The ferry, "Gig Harbor," and other vessels moored at the finishing docks of Western Boat Building on the Wapato Waterway next to the Western Lumber Mfg. Co., on April 16, 1925. Western Lumber and Western Boat Building shared the same address of 2505 E. 11th St. The "Gig Harbor" was launched from Western Boat facilities on Friday evening, April 10th. It is a 30-car craft, the same size as the original "City of Tacoma" now operating. Like the "City of Tacoma," the "Gig Harbor" can be lengthened to a 50-car craft if necessary. Photograph ordered by Western Boat Building. G66.1-098 (TDL 4-10-25, p. 7-article on launching; TNT 4-21-25, p. 1)


Ferries--Tacoma--1920-1930; Western Lumber Manufacturing Co. (Tacoma); Western Boat Building Co. (Tacoma); Boat & ship industry--Tacoma--1920-1930;

BOLAND-B13252

The launch Elsie C ll , under the command of Captain Herman C. Clausen, ran aground in heavy morning fog at Point Defiance on Thursday, September 3, 1925. Captain Clausen had missed the ferry slip and then narrowly missed striking big rocks as he brought the Point Defiance-Sunrise Beach ferry ashore between the slip and the park pavilion. The ferry was stuck fast and could not be floated until high tide that evening. The 15 passengers sailing from Sunrise Beach to Tacoma were able to exit the vessel onto the beach via a gangplank; no injuries were reported.


Ferries--Tacoma--1920-1930; Marine accidents--Tacoma; Point Defiance Park (Tacoma);

BOLAND-B10446

Standard Oil Co. service barge. The service station barge was in handy proximity to the Tacoma Yacht Club on this July day in 1924. Sailboat is close by. G49.1-013


Barges--Tacoma; Standard Oil Co. of California (Tacoma); Sailboats--Tacoma;

BOLAND-B4250

Solta The small fishing boat, the "Solta," cruises through the serene waters of Puget Sound in June of 1921. The unidentified man pictured above may be her skipper. The "Solta" was built by Visko Lisicich and was the first of three boats built by him. The others were the "Planet" and the "Helen L." The "Solta" was named after the island of Solta where Mr. Lisicich was born and raised. She was believed to have been built in Dockton on Vashon Island. In addition, the "Helen L." was named after Mr. Lisicich's daughter, Helen Lisicich Kokich. TPL-452; G34.1-083 (Additional information provided by a family member)


Fishing boats;

BOLAND-B4278

Several rowboats from the Antlers Lodge are moored on placid Lake Cushman in June of 1921. This is the original Lake Cushman prior to its expansion in 1925. The Antlers Lodge was a hunting lodge located on the shores of Lake Cushman which had catered to wealthy patrons. They had flocked to relax at the pristine lake which was fed by the icy waters of the Skokomish River. Fishing tackle and rowboats were supplied by the Antlers Lodge so that visitors could try their luck at the trout-filled lake. By 1921 the lodge had seen its heyday pass and in 1925 it would be deliberately set ablaze as part of the planned clearing of Cushman Basin. (Tacoma Sunday Ledger, 6-19-21, C-1-article on Lake Cushman)


Rowboats; Lake Cushman (Wash.);

Results 571 to 595 of 595