Showing 8 results

Collections
1229 S MOORLANDS DR, TACOMA
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

7 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

D76875-10

St. Paul and Tacoma Lumber Company milled lumber used by 20th Century Construction Company in building DeLong School. View from off-site of building under construction with rough framing and roof beams in place.

D76875-8

St. Paul and Tacoma Lumber Company milled lumber used by 20th Century Construction Company in building DeLong School. Worker placing lumber on top of wood beams. Early construction phase.

D76875-9

St. Paul and Tacoma Lumber Company milled lumber used by 20th Century Construction Company in building DeLong School. View of wood beams in early construction phase.

D76740-4

DeLong Elementary, at So. 12th and Moorlands, was designed by Lance, McGuire & Muri to accomodate 280 students. It would serve the area north and east of Fircrest and relieve overcrowding at Franklin and Jefferson. The one story school was of wood framing with brick veneer facing. It had eight classrooms plus a cafeteria, 65x66 ft playroom, clinic, administrative offices, teachers' lounge, kitchen, boiler room and 3 storerooms. (TNT 8/9/1953, pg. C-12)


DeLong Elementary School (Tacoma); Public schools--Tacoma--1950-1960; Building construction--Tacoma--1950-1960; Progress photographs--1950-1960;

D76740-8

Construction of DeLong School. DeLong was planned and named in 1949 after Arctic explorer George Washington DeLong. The school opened in February of 1954 and students from the overcrowded Franklin and Jefferson schools moved into the new glass and brick school. The school accommodated about 60 children from Jefferson and 100 from Franklin. Parents protested that some of these students would have to walk over one mile through brush, bushes, a swamp and a completely undeveloped area without the benefit and safety of sidewalks.The school opened despite the lack of promised streets and sidewalks in the undeveloped area. The school was enlarged in 1959. Photo ordered by St. Paul & Tacoma Lumber Co. ("For the Record," by Winnifred Olsen, TNT 8/27/1953, pg. B-2 & TNT 8/28/1953, pg. 1)


DeLong Elementary School (Tacoma); Public schools--Tacoma--1950-1960; Building construction--Tacoma--1950-1960; Progress photographs--1950-1960;

D77354-5

Progress photographs of DeLong School, for the DFPA. The school was one story of wooden frame construction with a brick veneer facing. It was built to accomodate 280 students and was needed to relieve overcrowding. The school would serve the area north and east of Fircrest. The school was projected to open in February of 1954. The transfer of students to DeLong was protested by parents in two key areas bordered by 6th Ave., So. 9th, So. Proctor and So. Monroe, and 6th Ave., So 8th, So. Monroe and So. Mason. These children would be walking almost twice as far to get to DeLong as to their current school through rough terrain. No school busses were scheduled on this route. (TNT 8/9/1953, pg. C-12)


DeLong Elementary School (Tacoma); Public schools--Tacoma--1950-1960; Building construction--Tacoma--1950-1960; Progress photographs--1950-1960;

D77354-4

Progress photographs of DeLong School, for DFPA. DeLong, unlike the other new schools built at this time, featured a unique sloping roof of aluminum coated mineral build up with an aluminum continuous skylight that provided natural light to the school. Additional lighting was fluorescent. Warter Constructions served as general contractor. The school was at the center of controversy, since some students would be transferred from their closest school Jefferson to DeLong. The walk to DeLong would be over one mile through rough undeveloped terrain where students would walk in the streets because there were no sidewalks on So. 12th. (TNT 8-9-1953, pg. C-12. TNT 8/27/1953, pg. B-2 & TNT 8/28/1953, pg. 1)


DeLong Elementary School (Tacoma); Public schools--Tacoma--1950-1960; Building construction--Tacoma--1950-1960; Progress photographs--1950-1960;

1229 S MOORLANDS DR, TACOMA

  • DeLong Elementary School Lance, McGuire & Muri, arch. Warter Construction Co., contr. -named in honor of Arctic explorer Geo. Washington DeLong -brick and glass -opened 2/1/1954 -dedicated 3/5/1954 -addition in 1959 TNT 3/22/1953 p.C14 New Delong Grade School plans ready (sketch) TNT 4/26/1953 p.C13 Call DeLong School bids TNT 5/13/1953 p.A3 Warter firm is low bidder on DeLong School TNT 8/9/1953 p.C12 Work fast on new DeLong school bldg. (il under construction) TNT 1/24/1954 p.C13 New DeLong School (il) TNT 1/31/1954 p.A1 New school opens Monday TNT 3/3/1954 p.A8 Dedication of new DeLong School Friday TNT 8/4/1954 p.31 City may build So. 12th walk TNT 9/19/1954 p.B10 Protection at last (il of sidewalk construction) TNT 3/2/1958 p.C13 Growing with Tacoma (il) TNT 10/24/1958 p.14 DeLong annex contracts OKd (McGuire & Muri, arch. and Strom Construction Co., contr.) TNT 8/12/1959 p.A4 Schools add classrooms (il) TNT 11/4/1959 p.A8 Dedication at DeLong to be Monday (addition by McGuire & Muri, arch.) (il) TNT 11/10/1959 p.A8 Delong School addition dedicated TNT 1/25/1963 p.8 Board okays additions for 2 city schools (E.L. Mills & Associates, arch.) TNT 7/27/1986 p.B1 Heavy duty construction (il of addition) T.Weekly 10/14/2018 p.1 Trudi Inslee (Washington State First Lady) visits Delong Elementary for gardening grants announcement (il) 371.01 OL8F p.151 (il) 371.62 C498R
  • Year Built: 1954
  • Decade Built: 1950s