Showing 23376 results

Collections
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

5289 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Map of Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and Part of Montana, 1860

Philadelphia : S. A. Mitchell, Jr.
1 map : hand col. ; 27 x 34 cm. Relief shown by hachures. Shows counties, cities, railroads, routes of wagon trails, and rivers. Scale ca. 1:4,435,000. Lower right: 50. Decorative border. Dated 1860 in bottom margin, but some question whether that might be the date of the original copyright of the base map.

Johnson's Washington and Oregon, 1863

New York: Johnson and Ward
1 map : hand col. ; 32 x 40 cm. Relief shown by hachures. Shows counties, cities, locations of native American tribal groups, and proposed railroad. Scale ca. 1:3,500,000 On verso: portion of "Historical and Statistical View of the United States, 1860", tables for Vermont, Virginia and Washington. In lower right margin: 57. Decorative border. Oregon counties Jackson and Josephine have been interchanged.

View of the City of Tacoma, W.T., Puget Sound, County Seat of Pierce Cty., Pacific Terminus of the NPRR, 1884

Madison, Wis. : J. J. Stoner; Ithica, N.Y. : Historic Urban Plans
1 map; 31 x 83 cm. Bird's-eye view. Perspective map not drawn to scale. Oriented with North to lower right. Includes key to points of interest. "Reproduced ... from an engraving in the Library of Congress." Includes inset of "Mount Tacoma, 14,444 ft. high." "Beck & Pauli, Litho., Milwaukee, Wis."

Tacoma Daily News

  • 5.2.1
  • 1883 - 1885

Early Tacoma newspaper with local and regional news, editorials, and advertisements.

Central School

This is the original Central School, built in 1883 for $18,000 and located at 1114 S Altheimer (then S G St), now the area of Bates Technical College. It was modeled after the Euclid Avenue School of Cleveland, Ohio, by architect Joseph Sherwin of Portland. It stood out along the Tacoma skyline with its 90-foot bell tower visible for miles. The school contained twelve rooms and was considered a showplace for the city. Rapid growth made the enrollment climb to 964 by 1886, taught by a staff of 18 teachers. Remodeling and additions to the school occurred before the school moved its 1000 elementary students to a new Central School located at So. 8th & Tacoma Ave. So. in 1913. The new Central School cost $165,000, almost ten times the cost of the original school. The old Central School was demolished in 1914 and served as a hobo shelter for a few months prior to its demolition. (Olsen: For the Record, p. 47-48-various photographs) King 009, TPL 1103.


Back of photo:
Central school, S.W. corner of S.W. and G. St now the Bates Vocational School Tacoma, Wash.

Northern Pacific Railroad track along Commencement Bay, Tacoma, Washington Territory

Northern Pacific Railroad track along Commencement Bay, Tacoma, Washington Territory, circa 1885. Mt. Tacoma (Rainier) and tideflats in background. The railroad tracks were built on fill dirt. The water-filled half-moon section would also be filled in to become the railroad yard, called appropriately the "half-moon yard." KING-008, G76.1-101 (Digital copy only. No print or negative available).

C.E. and Hattie King Photographs

  • 2.1.4
  • c. 1885

Includes 14 photographs of Tacoma taken c. 1886-1900 by C. E. and Hattie King of Commencement Bay, Northern Pacific railroad tracks, local schools, and members of the Puyallup and other area tribes.

C.E. and Hattie King

Boats at Northern Pacific dock with Blackwell Hotel, Tacoma, Washington Territory, circa 1885

Boats at Northern Pacific dock, Tacoma, Washington Territory, circa 1885. The owners of the warehouse in the center of photograph were not identified. The large building to the far left is the Blackwell Hotel, considered New Tacoma's first hotel. Built by the Northern Pacific Railroad, it opened on January 1, 1874 and closed in 1884. It was razed during the summer of 1901. KING-002, TPL-1095

Old Coal Bunkers at Tacoma, W.T.

Three-masted ship "Eldorado" at old coal bunkers, Tacoma, Washington Territory, circa 1885. These are believed to be the Northern Pacific coal bunkers projecting into Commencement bay that were completed in 1882 at a cost of $250,000 and considered at that time to be the most modern of their type on the North Pacific Coast. Ships like the "Eldorado" were a common sight waiting to take on loads of coal. (Hunt, "The Coal Bunkers," History of Tacoma) KING006, TPL 1076

Members of Puyallup Tribe playing game on shores of Puget Sound

In this photograph believed to be from the mid 1880s, a group of Puyallup Indians gathers on the shore of the Puget Sound to gamble. The game they are playing appears to be the bone game, where two teams of 10-12 sit opposite each other. One team has four bones which they pass to the distracting accompaniment of the pounding of sticks and singing of chants. The other team must guess who has the bones. In the background are longboats and a bridge. The Puyallup village during this time period was believed to be at the foot of South 15th St. KING-003, TPL 2897.

Results 1 to 20 of 23376