Showing 76059 results

Collections
With digital objects
Print preview View:

D58095-4

The 1951 May Queen, Marjorie Anderson, and her court are shown at one end of the gymnasium during the festivities at Pacific Lutheran College for May Day 1951. The senior attendants to the queen were LaWanna Wellsandt and Amy Knutson. Junior attendants were Patricia Kilmer and Margaret Lucas. Naomi Roe and Charlotte Brandt were the sophomore attendants and Darlene Dejardine and Inga Astrup represented the freshmen. (TNT, 5/3/1951, p.D-3)


Pacific Lutheran College (Parkland)--1950-1960; Universities & colleges--Parkland--1950-1960; Festivals--Parkland--1950-1960; Anderson, Marjorie; Wellsandt, LaWanna; Knutson, Amy; Kilmer, Patricia; Lucas, Margaret; Roe, Naomi; Brandt, Charlotte;

D58095-13

Three couples are shown dancing during the festivities at Pacific Lutheran College for May Day 1951. Two Lithuanian folk games were presented, accompanied by Jurgis Bendikas on the accordian. Six other games, Scandinavian, Spanish and western were performed by Inara Dermanis and Eugene Shaw, Doris and Lloyd Harvey, Gloria and Carl Larson, Lois Swanson and Robert Brass, Carolyn Johnson and Robert Knutson, Hazel Johnson and Philip Thorleifson. (TNT, 5/3/1951, p.D-3)


Pacific Lutheran College (Parkland)--1950-1960; Universities & colleges--Parkland--1950-1960; Festivals--Parkland--1950-1960; Folk dancing--Parkland--1950-1960;

D58454-13

Launching of "Miss California" at Peterson Boat Building Company. This view shows the stern and the underside of the new fishing boat prior to launching as she sits in the ways. A man standing below her on the right gives scale to the boat. The vessel was launched on May 10, 1951.


Peterson Boat Building Co. (Tacoma); Boat & ship industry--Tacoma--1950-1960; Launchings--Tacoma--1950-1960; Fishing boats--Tacoma--1950-1960;

D58497-2

A man is adding another dial to a piece of plywood holding other measuring devices at a cold storage facility. He is drilling holes using an electric drill. Ordered by Douglas Fir Plywood Association, Tom Sias.


Plywood; Douglas Fir Plywood Association (Tacoma);

D58595-3

A room full of more than 100 children from the Bible class at the First Presbyterian Church. TPL-1739


Presbyterian churches--Tacoma; First Presbyterian Church (Tacoma); Children--Tacoma--1950-1960; Sunday schools--Tacoma;

D58358-1

A view of a highway ordered by Attorney George H. Boldt most probably in an accident inquiry. George H. Boldt became a judge of the U.S. District Court in 1953 and served as a federal judge for 21 years. The road has been identified as River Road.


Roads;

D58358-3

A view of a highway ordered by Attorney George H. Boldt, most probably in an accident inquiry. A billboard has been placed where two roads join in a Y. The road has been identified as River Road, with the photograph possibly taken from the bridge over the railroad tracks, looking west on River Road with Pioneer Ave. branching south. The hill in the background is the cemetary of the Indian Hospital.


Roads; Billboards;

D58239-4

Students from Fife High School are grouped against one end of the Wedgwood Room at the Winthrop Hotel during their junior prom held on May 4, 1951. The young women wear floor-length gowns and the young men wear suits and ties. Ordered by the Tribune. (TNT, 5/14/1951, p.4)


Students--Tacoma--1950-1960; Fife High School (Fife); Dance parties--Tacoma--1950-1960; Hotel Winthrop (Tacoma);

D58500-4

Five high school students with a variety of school annuals outside of school building which appears to be Lincoln High School. This group looks happy to see the end of the school year arriving with the traditional issuance of the school annual, the Lincolnian. Photograph was taken on May 22, 1951.


Students--Tacoma--1950-1960; Lincoln High School (Tacoma);

D58536-2

June Otto, left, and Janet Spadafore, right, were co-chairs of the committee for the progressive dinner of the Ellen Satterlee Junior Orthopedic Guild. Betty Frangen was to receive the group for the cocktail course, June Otto was hostess for the soup course. Janet Spadafore hosted the salad course and Ann Friberg presented the main course. Dena Wold served dessert. Sally Boothe was in charge of the coffee. Ordered by Ellen Satterlee Orthopedic Guild, June Otto. (TNT, 6/21/1951, p.12)


Tacoma Orthopedic Association, Ellen Satterlee Guild (Tacoma); Women--Clubs--Tacoma; Women--Social life--1940-1950; Otto, June; Spadafore, Janet;

D58553-2

Laying the cornerstone at Pacific Lutheran College for the $625,000 chapel-music-speech building were, L-R, Dr. Seth C. Eastvold, president of the college; Dr. Henry F. Schuh (with trowel) of Columbus, Ohio; Dr. H.L. Foss of Seattle, chairman of the college board and president of the Pacific District of the Evangelical Lutheran Church; Dr. Carl A.V. Lund of Gresham, Oregon, president of the Columbia Conference of the Augustana Lutheran Church; and Dr. S.C. Siefkes of Portland, president of the Northwestern District of the American Lutheran Church. (TNT, 6/9/1951, p.21)


Universities & colleges--Parkland; College presidents--Parkland; Pacific Lutheran College (Parkland)--1950-1960; Eastvold, Seth C.; Cornerstone laying--Parkland--1950-1960; Pacific Lutheran College (Parkland)--Buildings; Foss, H.L.;

D58806-9

Marie Margaret Ultsch and Robert Austin O'Donnell were married September 18, 1951, at Holy Rosary Church. The bride is the daughter of Mrs. and Mrs. T.F. Ultsch. The groom is the son of Mrs. Edna O'Donnell of Seattle and B.A. O'Donnell of New York. Celebrant of the mass was Father John Kilty, North Vancouver, B.C., cousin of the bridegroom. The bride wore a white slipper-satin gown fashioned with a lace yoke, princess panel, pointed sleeves and an arched hipline. Miss Jean Bucsko was maid of honor. Terrence O'Donnell was his brother's best man. John M. Griffin and Robert E. Ultsch were ushers. (TNT, 9/25/1951, p.10)


Wedding costume--1950-1960; Brides--1950-1960; Ultsch, Marie Margaret--Marriage; O'Donnell, Robert Austin; Weddings--Tacoma--1950-1960; Grooms (Weddings)--1950-1960; Altars--Tacoma; Holy Rosary Church (Tacoma); Catholic churches--Tacoma;

D58807-12

Nancy Jean Riehl and Donald Maurice Hoff were married August 18, 1951, at the First Methodist Church. Nancy is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Lock Carl Riehl and Donald is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Jens A. Hoff, Astoria. Dr. R. Franklin Thompson, president of the College of Puget Sound, officiated at the ceremony. Nancy wore a Swiss organdy gown with a floral embroidered jacket topping a strapless gown of nylon marquisette. The full skirt extended over a hoop into a dance length train. Mr. and Mrs. Hoff established a home in Portland after August 27th. Both the bride and groom were graduates of the College of Puget Sound. (TNT, 8/19/1951, p.D-3)


Wedding costume--1950-1960; Brides--1950-1960; Weddings--Tacoma--1950-1960; Grooms (Weddings)--1950-1960; Altars--Tacoma; First Methodist Church (Tacoma); Hoff, Donald Maurice; Riehl, Nancy Jean--Marriage;

D58122-128

Marianne Chrystine Stacy and Harold Robert Klett were married July 22, 1951, at St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church. Norma Oden, one of the bridesmaids, is shown here in her gown seated outside holding her bouquet. (TNT, 7/26/1951, p.12; 7/29/1951, p.D-5) (information supplied by a wedding party member)


Weddings--Tacoma--1950-1960; Stacy, Marianne Chrystine--Marriage; Oden, Norma; Wedding attendants--Tacoma;

A58908-1

This aerial view of the St. Paul & Tacoma Lumber Company shows Mount Rainier in the background. Included in the photograph are the sawmill, lumber storage and shipping sheds, planing mill, dry kilns, and the barking and chipping plant. The log storage and sorting ponds, railroad log dumps, deep water shipping dock and shed are not shown, as the plant covers an area of 180 acres, about 1/4 mile wide and a mile long. The company sprawled along the St. Paul Waterway, to the left of this photograph, between St. Paul and Portland Avenues. The Puyallup River can be seen heading east with several bridges crossing it. Ordered by St. Paul & Tacoma Lumber Company. (Tree Life Hemlock, St. Paul & Tacoma Lumber Co.)


Aerial photographs; St. Paul & Tacoma Lumber Co. (Tacoma); Cityscapes; Lumber industry--Tacoma--1950-1960;

A58716-5

The living room in one of the ten apartments in the Adlee Apartments, recently opened by Forrester and Lee. All units included modern cabinet kitchens, automatic oil heat and the latest colors. Ranges and refrigerators were available under optional arrangements. (TNT, 6/17/1951, p.B-5)


Apartments--Tacoma--1950-1960; Forrester & Lee, Inc. (Tacoma); Living rooms--Tacoma--1950-1960;

A58920-2

Puget Sound National Bank provided temporary quarters while the new K Street Branch was being built. This office interior shows a curved ceiling, three desks and a long counter for paying and receiving. The name plate for Joe Hawthorne, Assistant Cashier, can be seen on the desk in the foreground. R.C. Holmes' name plate is on the desk in the rear.


Banks--Tacoma; Banking--Tacoma--1950-1960; Puget Sound National Bank (Tacoma);

A58900-2

The interior of Post House Tavern showing the bar, stools, and booths. The bar and lowered ceiling over the bar have been decorated with padded, studded leather-like material. A cool case is seen against the far wall as well as a pay phone. Ordered by Mrs. Teresa Diseth, owner of the tavern.


Bars--Tacoma--1950-1960; Post House Tavern (Tacoma);

A58546-3

The interior of a new home showing an example of a bedroom ordered by Lakeview Builders, Inc. Homes in the new housing development were open for inspection. A bedroom set of blond furniture has been chosen. Pull down blinds hang at the windows along with floral drapes. (TNT, 6/24/1951, p.Z-3)


Bedrooms--Tacoma--1950-1960; Lakeview Builders, Inc. (Lakewood);

A58940-2

New Central Bank at South 12th and K Street. Interior of bank lobby with many large floral arrangements.


Business Enterprises - Financial Institutions - Banks - Tacoma - Central Bank

A58723-5

Purex-Trend (Purex Corporation LTD), exterior view of building. Large warehouse type building, rail cars and Purex tanks.


Chemical industry--Tacoma--1950-1960; Purex Corp. (Tacoma); Storage tanks--Tacoma;

A58723-8

Exterior of the Purex-Trend (Purex Corporation LTD) plant. The large warehouse type building has been built using concrete block. Rail cars access the building via a railroad spur and three Purex tanks stand in the foreground.


Chemical industry--Tacoma--1950-1960; Purex Corp. (Tacoma); Storage tanks--Tacoma;

A58509-2

Looking south on what is believed to be Jefferson Ave., south of 19th Street. Columbia Brewery is in left background. Photograph was taken in June of 1951.


Commercial streets--Tacoma--1950-1960; Columbia Breweries, Inc. (Tacoma)--1950-1960;

A58032-1

This one-story building built of concrete block appears to be a motel or possibly an apartment complex. Doors open onto an open area in the center of the U-shaped structure. Ordered by Holroyd Company.


Concrete products industry--Tacoma; Holroyd Co. (Tacoma); Building materials; Concrete--Tacoma--1950-1960;

A58014-1

A two-story building has been built with concrete blocks on the street level which is used for commercial purposes. The upper story has been faced with brick. ABL Heating company, owned by Boyd Willey and A.C. McKee is on the right at 7029 South Tacoma Way. Shop-Eze Food Mart, owned by C.H. Needham, in on the left at 7027 South Tacoma Way. Ordered by Holroyd Company.


Concrete products industry--Tacoma; Holroyd Co. (Tacoma); Building materials; Concrete--Tacoma--1950-1960; ABL Heating Co. (Tacoma); Shop-Eze Food Mart (Tacoma);

A58026-1

In April of 1951, British Car Sales, owned by J.M. Henderson and R.F. Snead, was housed in a one-story concrete block building set back from the road. Several British sports cars were displayed in front of their showroom on this sunny day. A sign in the window advertised Hillman, Austin, MG, Morris and the Jaguar Sports Mark V. A large garage door was open on the right side of the building. Ordered by Holroyd Company.


Concrete products industry--Tacoma; Holroyd Co. (Tacoma); Building materials; Concrete--Tacoma--1950-1960; British Car Sales (Tacoma); Automobiles--Tacoma--1950-1960; Convertible automobiles;

A58214-1

A newly completed one-story single-family residence sits in front of tall fir trees. The home is made of concrete blocks as well as the chimney. An attached two-car garage has been included. A U-shaped floor plan has been used with the entrance located within the middle section. Ruffled curtains cover the windows nearest the garage. Ordered by the Holroyd Company.


Concrete--Tacoma; Concrete products industry--Tacoma; Houses--Tacoma--1950-1960; Holroyd Co. (Tacoma);

A58219-1

A two-story home has been built with concrete blocks with an added enclosed porch or family room on the second floor that has been completed using wood siding. Ordered by the Holroyd Company.


Concrete--Tacoma; Concrete products industry--Tacoma; Houses--Tacoma--1950-1960; Holroyd Co. (Tacoma);

A58547-1

Braley's Inc. drugstore located in the lobby of the Medical Arts Building. Pharmacist A.J. DuWane is busy behind one of the display counters and pharmacists George Norton and Paul Lapp are working behind the tall counter that separated the area for compounding prescriptions from the public areas of the store. All druggists at this time mixed their own drugs, salves and cough syrups. Braley's, an institution at the Medical Arts Building since 1930, had two stores in the building by 1951. The above photograph may have been taken of the store listed at 738 Saint Helens. (TNT, 6/22/1951, p.B-1-ad)


Drugstores--Tacoma--1950-1960; Braley's, Inc. (Tacoma); Pharmacists--Tacoma--1950-1960; Norton, George; Lapp, Paul; DuWane, A.J.;

Results 1 to 30 of 76059