Showing 70550 results

Collections
Image
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

70550 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

G66.2-049

In early July 1917, the Tacoma Rail & Power Company (TR&P) fired seven employees that they accused of union organizing. Within days the Amalgamated Association of Street & Electric Railway Employees of America signed up the remaining workers; and when the company refused to re-hire the fired workers, the newly organized workers shut down the TR&P streetcars. Although there were some acts of sabotage, as shown in this photograph, the strike was generally peaceful - and supported by most Tacomans. Although the company hired replacement workers, they could not break the strike. On August 2 an agreement was reached between the company and the union. The fired employees were reinstated, the strikebreakers were deported, grievance procedures were established, and the questions of wages and working conditions were submitted to arbitration. (Tacoma Tribune 7/16/1917-8/2/1917, pg. 1) TPL-9555


Mass transit--Tacoma--1910-1920; Electric railroads--1910-1920; Street railroad strikes--Tacoma--1910-1920;

BOLAND G73.1-034

ca. 1918. The Puget Mill Company Hall in Port Gamble, circa 1918. The Company Hall was built in 1907 and designed by the Seattle architecture firm of Bebb and Mendel. It was located across Rainier Ave. from the General Store. The hall was intended to serve as a location for meetings, athletic events, socials and worship. The first floor contained offices for the doctor and dentist, a barber shop, telegraph office and Post Office. The second floor served as a meeting room, theater, movie house and dance hall. The building is still in use as a Post Office and rents office space. (Historylink.org) Boland #P-4


Lumber industry--Port Gamble; Puget Mill Co. (Port Gamble); Post offices--Port Gamble; Community centers--Port Gamble;

BOLAND TPL-7058

ca. 1918. The home at the top right of the picture is the Walker-Ames house in Port Gamble, circa 1918. The structure on the left is unidentified. Port Gamble was the company town owned by the Puget Mill. A hierarchy developed in company housing, with the Superintendent receiving the largest house on the highest ground with the best view of the mill. The original Superintendent's home burned down in 1885 and was replaced by this Queen Anne structure built in 1888. Superintendent Edwin Ames was single at the home's completion and did not need such a large structure, so the home was occupied by master mechanic William Walker, brother of original general manager and shareholder Cyrus Walker, and his family. Ames married the Williams daughter and the two families shared the house until 1900. (TNT 12/31/1972, pg. B-5, Historylink.org) G73.1-032


Lumber industry--Port Gamble; Puget Mill Co. (Port Gamble); Walker-Ames House (Port Gamble);

TPL-8524

ca. 1918. This photograph of William Thomas Case, in uniform, was probably taken during his basic training at Fort Worden around 1918. Mr. Case took his training at this fort near Port Townsend that protects the Strait of Juan de Fuca. He was trained to crew a large cannon during the first World War. The second of eight children, Mr. Case was born in Arkansas City, Kansas. He came to Washington in 1900 and Tacoma in 1913. He went to work for Henry Foss in September of 1915 as a deckhand on the tugs and launches. He worked his way through the ranks at Foss Launch & Tug Co. becoming a skipper and finally the chief dispatcher for the fleet of tugs and launches. He was the longest serving employee of Foss and one of the company's most valued. He was the skipper of Foss #12 for six years, the second oldest tug in the line, and one that served the city as a fireboat, the only one for the harbor until the city of Tacoma acquired their own. Mr. Case died in 1956 at the age of 59 after a year long illness. (photograph courtesy of the collection of William T. Case) (TNT 4/15/1956, pg. A-12)


Case, William T.; Uniforms--United States--World War, 1914-1918;

BOLAND G73.1-026

ca. 1918. The Puget Hotel Annex, circa 1918, in Port Gamble, Wa. Port Gamble, located in Kitsap County about 35 miles from Seattle, is one of the few surviving examples of a company town. It was founded in 1853 by partners Josiah Keller, William Talbot, Andrew Pope and Charles Foster who formed the Puget Mill Co. In 1907, the company built a luxury hotel called the Puget Hotel for visitors, but this did not solve the housing problems of transient workers; the loggers, sailors and longshoremen who did not work for the company and qualify for company housing but could at times make up 1/3 of the town's population. The Puget Annex was built to provide low cost rooms for these boarders. ("The Coast" magazine, Jan. 1909, Vol 17 No. 1, pg. 92; online Historylink.org Port Gamble cybertour) Boland #25


Puget Hotel (Port Gamble); Lumber industry--Port Gamble; Puget Mill Co. (Port Gamble);

BOLAND G73.1-028

ca. 1918. The view down Rainier Ave. in Port Gamble, circa 1918. Port Gamble is one of the few surviving examples of a company town. It was built by the Puget Mill which, when it closed in 1995, was the oldest continuously operating mill in the nation. On the left is the mill office and general store, built in 1916. The store sold groceries, supplies and dry goods to the workers, as well as serving as their communication center by posting news of the world on their billboards. It is still in operation today, although the store now caters to tourists and a museum occupies the basement. Further down the street can be seen the water towers that supplied the town. (Historylink.org) Boland #22


Lumber industry--Port Gamble; Puget Mill Co. (Port Gamble); General stores--Port Gamble;

BOLAND G73.1-036

ca. 1918. View of the Puget Mill, left at water line, with its piles of logs and the town of Port Gamble from the Port Gamble Bay, circa 1918. The mill operated from 1853 - 1995, making it the longest continuously operating mill in the nation. The town of Port Gamble was built by the company for the use of its workers. It is one of the few remaining examples of a lumber town. In 1966, the entire town was declared a national historic site. In the background of the photo can be seen, left to right, the spire of the St. Paul's Episcopal Church, the town's twin water towers, the Queen Anne Walker-Ames House, the mill company offices & store and the Community Hall. (Historylink.org) Boland #32


Lumber industry--Port Gamble; Puget Mill Co. (Port Gamble);

BOLAND G73.1-039

ca. 1918. Puget Mill company owned worker housing in Port Gamble, circa 1918. On the whole, Puget Mill workers were treated better than those at other lumber mills. They were paid a fair wage and housed in modern housing with all the conveniences. These homes cost about $587.59 each to build and a three bedroom version rented for around $7.00 a month. They were surround by pickett fences to protect them from wildlife and had a fireplace, electric lights, bathroom and a water closet. (Historylink.org)


Lumber industry--Port Gamble; Puget Mill Co. (Port Gamble);

BOLAND G73.1-040

ca. 1918. A view of the Puget Hotel (left), circa 1918, built in 1907 on a bluff above the Puget Mill. The Puget Mill, identified by the smoke in the background, was established in 1853 and closed in 1995, making it the longest continuously operating mill in the nation, clocking in at 142 years. The entire town of Port Gamble was owned by the mill company, including the hotel. In the center of the photograph is a band stand where concerts were played on Sunday afternoons. Boland #26


Puget Hotel (Port Gamble); Lumber industry--Port Gamble; Puget Mill Co. (Port Gamble);

C59415-18

ca. 1918. Columbia Brewing Company was established in 1900 on South C Street not far from the giant Pacific Brewing and Malting Company. Emil Kliese was the owner, president and brewmaster of the plant until statewide prohibition in 1916. He died the next year. National Prohibition lasted 13 years, from 1920-1933. During that time the company manufactured soft drinks: "Birch Beer", "Chocolate Soldier", "Blue Jay" (a grape drink), and "Green River". Copies of old prints ordered by Columbia Breweries in 1951. (Brewed in the Pacific Northwest, Gary Meier)


Brewing industry--Tacoma--1910-1920; Columbia Brewing Co. (Tacoma);

C59415-13

ca. 1918. Drivers pose in front of the Columbia Brewing Company with five delivery trucks. The truck second from the right is loaded with barrels. Copies of old prints ordered by Columbia Breweries. A copy of Boland print #B1495.


Brewing industry--Tacoma--1910-1920; Columbia Brewing Co. (Tacoma); Trucks--Tacoma--1910-1920;

TPL-7059

ca. 1918. Street scene, circa 1918, in Port Gamble. In the distance on the left of the street can be seen the spire of the St. Paul's Episcopal Church. The church was built in 1879. The church, like the town, was built to resemble the owners' home in East Macias, Maine. The streets were lined with imported shade trees of maple, ash and elm, all grown from cuttings brought from Maine. The houses reflected the steep roofed New England architecture.The church was originally of the Congregational faith, with the pastor doubling as the company physician. (Historylink.org) Boland #28, G73.1-038


Lumber industry--Port Gamble; Puget Mill Co. (Port Gamble); St. Paul's Episcopal Church (Port Gamble);

BOLAND G73.1-027

ca. 1918. In 1853, Capt. William Talbot located the perfect site for a lumber mill, a sheltered bay five miles inside of the Hood Canal. He and partners Josiah Keller, Andrew Pope and Charles Foster built the Puget Mill in an area called "Teekalet" by the native Americans. In 1865, the town that the mill had erected for its workers was renamed Port Gamble. A company store was built in 1853, but it was replaced in 1916 by this office and general store built on Rainier Ave. As the centerpiece for the company town, the store sold groceries and household items needed by the workers and also served as the communication center, posting news of the world on its bulletin boards. The offices for the company were located upstairs. The building is still the General Store in Port Gamble, although it now caters to tourists, while a museum is now located on the lower level. (HistoryLink.org, Bremerton Sun 5/15/1953) Boland #23


Lumber industry--Port Gamble; Puget Mill Co. (Port Gamble); General stores--Port Gamble;

BOLAND G73.1-030

ca. 1918. The rear and side view of the Puget Hotel, circa 1918, in Port Gamble. The hotel was constructed in 1907 by the Puget Mill Co., which owned the entire town of Port Gamble. It included a luxurious hotel, a restaurant, a tavern, stables for horses and carriages and an annex for longer term budget boarders. The structure was designed by Seattle architects Charles Bebb and Louis Mendel and it was operated as a concession. The hotel was closed December 22, 1962 and later demolished. In 1966, the entire town of Port Gamble was made a National Historic site in recognition of its being one of the last remaining lumber towns in the nation. ("The Coast" magazine, January 1909, Vol. 17, No. 1, pg. 92) Boland #20


Puget Hotel (Port Gamble); Lumber industry--Port Gamble; Puget Mill Co. (Port Gamble);

BOLAND G73.1-035

ca. 1918. The livery stable attached to the Puget Hotel in Port Gamble, circa 1918. The stable was also designed by the Seattle firm of Bebb & Mendel and constructed in 1907. It housed the horses and carriages used by the guests at the hotel. By 1920, the hotel was no longer boarding horses. The building was used successively as a garage, maintenance shop and a fire station. It is still standing. (Historylink.org) Boland #36


Puget Hotel (Port Gamble); Lumber industry--Port Gamble; Puget Mill Co. (Port Gamble); Stables;

BOLAND G73.1-037

ca. 1918. Junction of Rainier Ave and View Drive in Port Gamble, circa 1918. The building in the back was the company office and attached company store of Puget Mill. Puget Mill owned the entire town of Port Gamble and operated it for the benefit of their workers. In the foreground was the Community Hall, operated as a meeting venue for workers. It also contained the doctor, dentist and telegraph offices, a barber shop, Post Office and meeting room that could double as a theater and movie house. (Historylink.org) Boland #30


Lumber industry--Port Gamble; Puget Mill Co. (Port Gamble); Post offices--Port Gamble; Community centers--Port Gamble; General stores--Port Gamble;

G76.1-131

ca. 1918. Photograph by Albert Henry Barnes of the Mazama party making its way on horseback across Paradise Park, Mount Rainier National Park, circa 1918. Mazama is a Spanish word for "mountain goat" and also the name of the climbing club of Portland, Oregon. The Mazama climbing club was organized on the summit of Mount Hood on July 19, 1894. It was the second climbing club to be organized on the Pacific Rim, the first being the Sierra Club which was founded by John Muir in 1892.The Mazamas had many outings on Mount Rainier beginning in 1897. (ORIGIN OF GEOGRAPHIC NAMES OF TACOMA/PIERCE COUNTY WASHINGTON by Gary Fuller Reese; www.mazamas.org)


Mount Rainier National Park (Wash.); Packtrains--Mount Rainier; Pack animals--Mount Rainier; Horses; Mazama Climbing Club (Mount Rainier);

BOLAND G73.1-029

ca. 1918. Puget Mill Co. New England style "Saltbox" houses for company employees in Port Gamble, circa. 1918. Company officials insisted on a hierarchy in housing; managers had the best homes on the highest ground, skilled workers and their families came next, immigrant workers (Scandinavian, German, Swiss, Slovaks and Greeks) arriving in the 1880's were housed on the other side of the second growth forest west and south of the town in areas known as "New England" and "Murphy's Row," unmarried men lived in bunk houses and cabins on the spit near the mill and Chinese workers lived separately out of town, as did native Americans workers. The worker housing was surrounded by picket fences and had fireplaces, electric lights, bathrooms and a water closet. Rent for a three bedroom was about $7.00 a month. (Historylink.org) Boland #21


Lumber industry--Port Gamble; Puget Mill Co. (Port Gamble);

BOLAND G73.1-031

ca. 1918. The Puget Hotel was constructed in 1907 by the Puget Mill Co. in their company owned and run town Port Gamble. It was designed by Seattle's most prominent architecture firm, Bebb & Mendel. It was a luxury hotel for visitors and company officials, later furnished with massive antique pieces of furniture made in Dresden, Germany and brought to the Puget Sound by sailing ship for the home of Cyrus Walker, first manager of the Puget Mill. Although part of the town, it was run as a concession. So although the town was dry, drinking and gambling were available at the hotel. It also housed the town's only restaurant. The hotel was damaged in the 1962 Columbus Day wind storm and was closed on December 22, 1962, a victim of that damage and declining use. It was later demolished. (Seattle Times 12/23/1962) Boland #10


Puget Hotel (Port Gamble); Lumber industry--Port Gamble; Puget Mill Co. (Port Gamble);

TPL-6200

The Automobile Club of Western Washington, now part of American Automobile Association or AAA, has been aiding motorists since 1904. Sanford E. Brokaw was managing the office when this photograph was taken. The office was located in the Uhlman Block on A Street. Reisinger, #R013.


BOLAND-B1030

Photograph of the employees of the Oriole Candy Company taken in April of 1918. Picture is labeled "Farewell to H. L. Brown by employees Oriole Candy Co." It is believed that the banquet was held to bid goodbye to Mr. Brown as he would depart for France to help the Y.M.C.A. as a volunteer. The Y.M.C.A. was one of several organizations that set up recreational "huts" overseas for soldiers. In 1907, Harry L. Brown, a budding confectioner and experimenter in sweet treats, opened his own retail candy shop on Broadway, known as Oriole Chocolates. By 1909, he had converted it into a wholesale operation. He made the acquaintance of an ambitious young salesman, currently employed by Schilling Spices, named Jonathan Clifford Haley. Haley offered to market Brown's sweet treats around the Northwest. By 1914, the pair were officially partnered as "Brown & Haley" with Haley as president and chief salesman and Brown as general manager, candy formulator and head of manufacturing. The company's Oriole Chocolates were made by hand and satisfied the sweet tooth of the soldiers stationed at Fort Lewis during WWI. Brown & Haley is now the oldest, largest candy company in the Tacoma area and one of the oldest in the U.S. G33.1-128; TPL-1027, TPL-9553


Oriole Chocolates (Tacoma); Candy--Tacoma; Chocolate industry--Tacoma--1910-1920; Laborers--Tacoma; Brown & Haley (Tacoma);

BOWEN FOUNDATION-36

Foundation Co., Yard #4, located on the Tacoma Tideflats - Rigger Storage and Water Tank, May 10, 1918. The Riggers Store House measured 32' x 27'6", 14' high, 880 sq. feet and built at a cost of $250. The water tank cost $1241 to build and consisted of a 25' diameter tank 16' high and a 26 x26 platform, 18' high. Due to the fact that most of the machinery was steam driven, an abundance of water was very important.

BOLAND-B1853

In May of 1918, World War I soldiers in two trucks with "War Camp Community Service" banners pulled up in front of the Soldiers and Sailors Clubhouse. The Clubhouse was located in the Kaufmann-Wolff Building at 714-16 Pacific Ave. The building was designed by Farrell and Darmer, Architects, and also included 713-15 Commerce St. It was formally opened April 5, 1918 by the War Camp Community Service. The opening ceremony included speeches and a dance, but this was the last time the club was open to women or officers. It was strictly for the use of enlisted men. The address was later home to the Rhodes Post of the American Legion and the World War II USO Club for Servicemen of Color. The War Camp was created in 1917 to provide social activities in areas where servicemen spent their off duty time. BU 13,189, G68.1-108 (TDN 4/6/1918, pg.2) TPL-1675


Soldiers & Sailors Clubhouse (Tacoma); War Camp Community Service (Tacoma);

BOLAND G68.1-111

The Red Cross Salvage Department headquarters at 1123 A Street was built in one day on April 7, 1918, with materials donated by local businesses and labor donated by local unions. Over 75 union carpenters worked from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. to erect the structure, with the finishers, electricians and plumbers to report later in the week. The Salvage Department was an auxiliary of the Red Cross and this building served as its warehouse and office. The community was asked to donate to the Department any waste items of value that could be salvaged for cash. The money raised went to the Red Cross for their work at the front overseas. The motto of the Department was "Ask for no money, Pay no money." TPL-742, BU 13188, Boland #B1151. (TDN 4/5/1918, pg. 1; 4/8/1918, pg. 14)


American Red Cross Pierce County Chapter (Tacoma); Salvage; World War, 1914-1918--Scrap drives--Tacoma;

Results 991 to 1020 of 70550