Showing 1319 results

Collections
Clubs & Organizations
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

1319 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

RSN-18

Ivy covered Fire Station #6 located at 823 A St. before being destroyed by a fire in 1974.

RSN-22

Three men holding a beer stein in the meeting room of an unidentified fraternal organization while a seated man looks at the camera. Three of the four men are wearing lapel pins.

RSO-16

Panorama of 85th Annual Communication Most Worshipful Grand Lodge F.&A.M of Tacoma WA. Masonic group standing outside of lodge in uniform with group members occupying stairwell and balcony.

RSO-17

Panorama of the Sons and Daughters of Norway Convention, Trip to Mt. Tacoma (Rainier)

RSO-18

Tacoma Scottish Rite Class Spring Reunion featuring consistories Clarence D. Martin, R.E. Gallot, E.L. Tarnsworth and Albert Rasmussen.

Black Collective - 1

Back of Photo:
Seattle Mayor-elect Norm Rice, foreground left, and Tacoma Mayor-elect Karen Vialle, foreground right, answer questions and thank the black collective for the support the group has given both Rice and Vialle. The two Mayor-elects met with the Black Collective Saturday morning at 2316 S. Yakima. (12-2-89 photo by David Brandt)
Pierce & S. King County

D113391-9

Each year the Elks Club made full use of members' musical and acting talents in the Elks Extravaganza. Members were not shy in performing before other members and invited guests; their costumes often were women's clothing and wigs. View of participants in the 1958 Extravaganza before the well-known backdrop of businesses supported by the Elks. Each year the caricature in the center would change to feature another prominent Elk, in 1958, it would be "Vegas Swan." Photograph ordered by the Elks Club.


Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, Tacoma Lodge No. 174 (Tacoma); Signs (Notices); Theatrical productions--Tacoma--1950-1960; Entertainers--Tacoma--1950-1960;

D117697-2

Annual photograph of the Last Man Club. The 21st reunion of the American Legion Edward B. Rhodes Post No. 2's Last Man Club occurred in the Peter Puget room of the Olympus Hotel on November 10, 1958. Each year the club met at varying locations in Tacoma for a reunion banquet. View of members posing with flags; flags draped over empty seats signify respect for deceased commanders. There would be one more flag-draped chair in memory of A. Walter Olson who died earlier in 1958. (TNT 11-9-58, A-19)


American Legion Edward B. Rhodes Post No. 2 (Tacoma); American Legion Club (Tacoma); Patriotic societies--Tacoma--1950-1960; Flags--United States; Last Man Club (Tacoma);

D118340-7

Group portrait of Daughters of the Nile. These women belong to the Daughters of the Nile, Zora Temple No. 5. In the foreground are the temple dancers dressed in Arabian gear. The women in the background are possibly the Nile patrol and chorus. Mrs. Robert Hunt was the temple's reigning queen. Photograph was taken on January 6, 1959, at the Masonic Temple as the Daughters of the Nile met to honor the Supreme Queen, Mrs. Adam T. Neen of Vancouver, B.C., during the winter ceremonial. Dinner would be held later at the Winthrop Hotel. Color photograph ordered by the Daughters of the Nile. (TNT 1-2-59, p. 11)


Daughters of the Nile Zora Temple No. 5 (Tacoma); Fraternal organizations--Tacoma--1950-1960; Group portraits; Women--Tacoma--1950-1960;

D119859-6

White jacketed dance band onstage at the Puyallup Elks Club. The band members appear to play the bass, accordion and a number of different saxophones. The PE on the band stands possibly stands for Puyallup Elks.


Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, Lodge No. 1450 (Puyallup); Musicians--Puyallup--1950-1960;

D102112-3

ca. 1956. The Camp Fire Girls are gearing up for their annual sale of chocolate mint candies. The candies were manufactured by Brown and Haley in Tacoma. One girls pours the mints from an open box into the waiting hands of the other girl; mints and wrappers spill onto the floor. The girls pose in traditional Camp Fire uniforms, skirts, white shirts with kerchefs and beanies, in front of a heart decoration.


Camp Fire Girls (Tacoma); Fund raising--Tacoma--1950-1960; Candy--Tacoma;

D102442-3

Publicity photo for the Tacoma Junior Women's Club Christmas dinner dance. The paper mache snowman inspires one woman to break into song, possibly "Walking in a Winter Wonderland" or "Frosty."


Junior Women's Club (Tacoma); Women--Clubs--Tacoma;

A103314-19

The Elks Club appears packed on November 28, 1956, as members wait for promised entertainment on Old Timers Club night. The orchestra is seated, sheet music open and ready. The piano bench is empty although there is an organist at his keyboard. Elks members with 25 or more years of service were honored annually with dinner at the Elks Club plus an evening of music and skits. Photograph ordered by the Elks Club.


Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, Tacoma Lodge No. 174 (Tacoma);

D145688-3

Dedication of new Elks Temple. Elks and their guests stand at attention, hands over hearts, as the American flag is raised on the flagpole in front of the new Elks Temple on September 3, 1965. The flag was presented to the lodge by Emmett T. Anderson. The honor guard consisted of representatives of the 35th Engineers Battalion, Fort Lewis. Boy Scouts Kerk Ristroffer and Don King also assisted in flag ceremonies. After decades in downtown Tacoma, the Elks built a new 76,000 square foot temple on the west side of Cedar, 700 feet south of So. 19th St. Ground was broken in April, 1964, on the $2,000,000 project. Nearly 50 years later, the Elks temple remains at the same location. (TNT 9-4-54, p. 1, TNT 9-3-65, p. 1)


Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, Tacoma Lodge No. 174 (Tacoma); Fraternal organizations--Tacoma--1960-1970; Building dedications--Tacoma--1960-1970; Flag salutes--Tacoma--1960-1970; Flags--United States; Flagpoles--Tacoma;

D151125-12

On March 8, 1967, various athletes from local high schools were honored once again at the annual "Athletes Nite" held at the Tacoma Elks Temple, 1965 So. Union Ave. Uniformed majorettes and cheerleaders from the schools were also on hand to provide entertainment and support. Banners were hung with the names of participating schools- including Lincoln, Mount Tahoma, Stadium, Bellarmine, Lakes, Laughbon (in Dupont), Wilson, Franklin Pierce, Clover Park, Curtis and Peninsula. Photograph ordered by the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, Tacoma Lodge No. 174.


Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, Tacoma Lodge No. 174 (Tacoma); Elks Temple (Tacoma); Cheerleading--Tacoma--1960-1970; Students--Tacoma--1960-1970; Banners--Tacoma;

D152453-21R

Elevated view of City (now Thea Foss) Waterway and partial glimpse of Tacoma Tideflats with storage tanks of Mobil Oil and Shell Oil and Globe Machine Mfg. building on East "D." Fishermen are preparing to depart from Totem Boat Haven to participate in the Elks Lodge's 21st annual Salmon Derby on September 17, 1967. The waters of Commencement Bay and vicinity were chock full of fishermen avidly vying for the more than 150 prizes offered, including a Jeep Universal and a boat and trailer. TPL-4768


Fraternal organizations--Tacoma--1960-1970; Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, Tacoma Lodge No. 174 (Tacoma); Fishing; Contests--Tacoma--1960-1970; Totem Boat Haven (Tacoma); City Waterway (Tacoma); Storage tanks--Tacoma;

A124186-2

ca. 1959. The Castle Hall at the Knights of Pythias, Commencement Lodge #7. This Italian Renaissance Revival structure was built in 1906-1907 of Tenino stone from a design by architect Frederick Heath and hailed as the "most elaborate and perfectly furnished lodge building in the West." The building was constructed at a cost of $55,000. The building is on both the city and national historical directory. In accordance with design principles of the day, the main floors were built to contain commercial space with the lodge facilities on the top two floors. Carefully preserved since its dedication, Castle Hall is believed to be one of the most beautiful lodges in the country. It has mahogany walls, Ionic columns, elliptical leaded glass skylights and murals depicting the story of the fast friendship of Damon and Pythias, on which the beliefs of the order are based. Although plagued by dwindling membership, the Knights are still active. The fraternal order was founded in 1864 by Justus H. Rathbone on the principles of friendship, charity and benevolence, or "FCB" the letters inscribed on the triangles that make up the group's emblem. Secret meetings were held in the hall, where members donned robes indicating their rank in the group. They gathered to honor God, America and make friends in a celebration of brotherhood. (TNT 10/3/1989 "Lifestyles" section; "Tacoma Rediviva" by Kipp Associates, pg. 72-73)


Knights of Pythias, Commencement Lodge #7 (Tacoma); Fraternal organizations--Tacoma--1950-1960;

A126299-1

21 women in evening gowns pose at the USO Center on May 17, 1960, along with one military officer. These women belonged to the Navy Mothers Club, a national organization, and quite active here.


Navy Mothers Club (Tacoma); Clubs--Tacoma--1960-1970; Evening gowns--Tacoma--1960-1970;

D127841-7

A man gives an encouraging pat on the back to a boy in swimming trunks on August 22, 1960. He was probably a member of the Active Club who sponsored a Child Guidance club at Camp Seymour. These youngsters pictured above are surveying the water, perhaps deciding whether or not to take a refreshing swim. 55 children attended a special 10-day camp for emotionally disturbed youngsters, ages 7-13. The camp was the first of its kind in the nation and one of only four or five in existence in 1960. The big difference was that there was one professionally trained counselor for every two campers. Photograph ordered by the Active Club. (TNT 8-23-60, p. 4)


Tacoma Active Club (Tacoma); Camp Seymour (Glen Cove); Bathing suits;

A98826-6

The Tacoma Rescue Mission remodeled Recreation Room and library. Tables with fresh daffodils sit surrounded by chairs. Full book shelves line one wall, while a piano waits against another for someone to strike up a tune. Fluorescent lighting illuminates the walls decorated with plaques of selected scriptures. TPL-9087


Tacoma Rescue Mission (Tacoma); Charitable organizations--Tacoma;

A98180-1

The remodeled exterior of the Tacoma Rescue Mission. The location consisted of two buildings, the Keown building at 1512 Pacific Ave. built in 1907 and the Grays Harbor Hotel Building at 1510 Pacific Ave. built in 1901. It was remodeled in 1956 to make it appear as one structure. The buildings that served as the Mission's home for 15 years were closed for four months in 1956 for a $20,000 face lift. The remodel included covering the joined exterior surface with Quikbrik. Quikbrik was finely ground brick mixed with binders and Portland cement applied by plasterers with a trowel. While still pliable, the brick was cut with patented templates and hardened to a brick like finish. The new brick facade gave the mission a bright appealing look. The dedication service for the remodeled building was held April 15, 1956. The neon sign out front read "Eternity Where Jesus Saves." The building was torn down in 2002 to make way for the Convention Center project site.


Tacoma Rescue Mission (Tacoma); Charitable organizations--Tacoma; Chapels--Tacoma;

A98826-13

ca. 1956. The dedication service for the remodeled Tacoma Rescue Mission was held April 15, 1956. The location consisted of two buildings, the Keown building at 1512 Pacific Avenue built in 1907 and the Grays Harbor Hotel Building at 1510 Pacific Avenue built in 1901. It was remodeled in 1956 to make it appear to be one structure. The remodel included covering the joined exterior surface with Quikbrik. The new brick facade gave the mission a bright appealing look. The building was torn down in 2002 for the Convention Center project. Pictured to the right of the Mission is the Funland Amusement Center, 1506-08 Pacific Ave.; on the left is the Grand Cafe, 1514 Pacific Ave. The Grand Cafe was in the same building as Bimbo's. TPL-9088


Tacoma Rescue Mission (Tacoma); Charitable organizations--Tacoma; Chapels--Tacoma;

D100535-2

The American Legion Auxiliary unit #138; installation of new officers. Twelve women sit or stand in front of a small stage area with ceremonial wall hangings. The standing group are, left to right, Mrs. Anele Larson, Mrs. Gilbert Hougle, Mrs. Nettie Mae Grisham, Mrs. Wilmer Boyer, Mrs. Howard Zachow, Mrs. John Johnson and Mrs. Karl Thomas. The seated row, left to right: Mrs. Thomas Johnson, Mrs. William Miller, Mrs. Carl W. Kruse, Mrs. Richard Lambert and Mrs. Roy Hincliff. (TNT 7/22/1956, pg. B-3)


Clubwomen--Tacoma--1950-1960; Women--Social life--1950-1960; Veterans' organizations--Tacoma; American Legion Auxiliary Unit #138 (Tacoma);

D98822-2

Scout Jamboree, ordered by Ed Richards. A pack leader poses with his group. They are garbed in Native American regalia, probably to appear in a demonstration. These boys appear to be older and are probably Boy Scouts not Cub Scouts. Scouts involved in the annual Scout Exposition at the College of Puget Sound Fieldhouse May 4-5, 1956 were between the ages of 10 and 16. Various troops from Pierce County would be performing demonstrations. Lincoln, Lakes and Southeast demonstrations would be on Friday and Northwest, Peninsula and Valley Mountain would perform on Saturday. Demonstrations would include knot-tying, first aid, canoe building, marksmanship and leather craft. (TNT 5/2/1956, pg. A-4)


Boy Scouts (Tacoma)--1950-1960; Costumes;

D79479-2

ca. 1953. Group of men, a branch of Freemasons. No background information is available on this group portrait. Regalia most closely resembles that of the Royal Arch Masons. However, the Scottish Rite would be honoring 11 members at the Masonic Temple during November of 1953. The event was the Ceremonial of Investiture for new Knight Commanders of the Court of Honor of the Scottish Rite. The ceremony was only held every second year. All 32nd degree Masons were invited to witness the ceremony. (TNT 11-29-1953, A-9)


Fraternal organizations--Tacoma--1950-1960; Group portraits--1950-1960; Rites & ceremonies--Tacoma--1950-1960;

D153262-1

The Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks was set to celebrate its Centennial on February 12-17th, 1968. The Tacoma Elks was the largest of the order and would celebrate the centennial of the national organization with a full week's programs and activities. Gathered around the table on January 16, 1968, were eleven past and present officers and trustees of Tacoma Lodge No. 174 with publicity information. Included in the photograph were Swan Johnson, Jerry Geehan, Arthur Emery, Harry Lynch, Emmett Anderson, Leonard Rowan, Clyde Alexander, Alex Wilson, Harold Sitts and Robert Holder, who was chairman of the local celebration. Photograph ordered by Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, Tacoma Lodge No. 174. (TNT 1-28-68, A-20)


Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, Tacoma Lodge No. 174 (Tacoma); Publicity; Centennial celebrations--Tacoma;

D153188-1R

On January 27, 1968, Girl Scouts gathered outside the Eastside Multi-Service Center in Salishan to help distribute pamphlets door-to-door regarding an upcoming Town Meeting on youth and drugs. Mrs. Peggy Kopf, public health educator from the Tacoma Public Schools, is believed to be standing at extreme left. The first Town Hall meeting on problems relating to drug abuse and community resources to aid those afflicted was held at Wilson High School on January 29, 1968, to a standing-room-only crowd. The next scheduled meeting, second of four, was planned for Mount Tahoma High School on January 31, 1968. Six community agencies banded together to sponsor these meetings. Photograph ordered by Tacoma-Pierce County Opportunity & Development, Inc. (TNT 1-21-68. C-18, TNT 1-31-68, B-4)


Girl Scouts (Tacoma); Canvassing--Tacoma; Leaflets;

Results 1 to 30 of 1319