Print preview Close

Showing 34662 results

Collections
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

17346 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

G73.1-009

ca. 1910. In March of 1910, Tallman-Thompson Co., Inc. hired pioneer aviator Charles K. Hamilton to take a birds eye view of Tacoma from his 8 cylinder Curtis bi-plane. Tallman-Thompson, located at 111 So. 10th, was the owner of Lakewood Subdivisions. The company owned 3,000 lots in Lakewood, being sold at $125 each and up. The company had 5,000 18x24 copies of the aerial view printed up and gave them away as promotion. On the top left is a quote from Success magazine picking Tacoma as the next New York and predicting that Tacoma would grow to a population of 5 million. The Tallman-Thompson Co. felt that the most growth would be through Lakewood, "the gateway to the Lakes." On the sides of the picture are predicted statistics on population, financial and industrial growth. (TDL 3/20/1910, PG. 41)


Tallman-Thompson Co., Inc. (Tacoma); Promotional materials; Aerial photographs;

Map of Washington, 1911

George F Cram Company
1 map; 34 x 41 cm. From page 178-179 of Cram's unrivaled atlas of the world. Relief shown by hachures. Shows counties, cities and railroads. Scale ca. 1:1,300,000 On verso: "Alaska" and "Idaho" maps. In lower margin: 178, 179.

Rand McNally New Commercial Atlas Map of Washington, 1912

Chicago : Rand McNally.
1 map : col. ; 48 x 66 cm. State capitals and County seats identified by symbols. A key to Railroads is located in the lower left. Shows Railroads and Steamship lines. Includes index of cities with a population of 1,000 or more. At top: "Library atlas of the world." Relief shown by hachures and spot highlights. Scale 1 in. = 15 miles [ca. 1:950,400].

Immigration and Emigration - 1

Back of Photo:
Theatrical Group, Order of Vasa, ca. 1912, Tacoma
Photograph courtesy of the Vasa Lodge Norden, Tacoma

From In the Footsteps of Nicholas Delin: the Swedish Presence in Pierce County, a photography exhibition tracing the world of Swedish and Swedish-Finnish immigrants in Pierce County from 1887 - 1930, opening Thursday, December 14, 1995 at the Tacoma Public Library's Handforth Gallery (Main Library, 1102 Tacoma Avenue South in downtown Tacoma).

TPL-8078

ca. 1913. This photograph of the Eggers Fish Co., located at the City Dock at the foot of South 15th St., was taken circa 1913. The company had previously been known as the American Fish Co. which had long been operated by Theodore F. Eggers. By the 1913 City Directory, its listing had been changed from American Fish to Eggers Fish, "Successor to American Fish Co." Mr. Eggers remained as president/manager. The group of people in front of the store are probably employees. The horse-drawn cart was probably used for deliveries.


Eggers Fish Co. (Tacoma); Seafood stores--Tacoma; Carts & wagons--Tacoma--1910-1920;

SM-1-01

ca. 1913. A typical stampeder on the trail to Chisana. Note his iron skillet and his long, crosscut saw for whipsawing lumber.

TPL-0

ca. 1913. Lee Makovich was the operator of Lee's Oyster House located at 1313 Pacific Avenue. Oysters of any style were offered and cocktails and clam chowders available for a mere dime. Ladies were invited to dine and were assigned special tables. This moustached gentleman standing outside the restaurant in this circa 1913 photograph is possibly Mr. Makovich, a well-known fisherman.


Lee's Oyster House (Tacoma); Restaurants--Tacoma--1910-1920;

TPL-4127

ca. 1913. Truck Co. No. 2, Tacoma Fire Department. Truck Co. No. 2 received a 75' Seagrave aerial ladder truck on Septemer 23, 1913. It is possible that driver Harry Ketler and Tillerman Jim Turner are pictured here on a street apparently constructed of wood planks. By 1918, equipment listed for Truck Co. No. 2 included a 1913 Seagrave 85' aerial. (100 Years of Firefighting in the City of Destiny Tacoma, Washington, p. 53, 58)


Tacoma Fire Department (Tacoma); Fire engines & equipment--Tacoma;

TPL-7991

ca. 1913. The cornerstone for Lincoln Park High School in Tacoma was laid on Labor Day September 1, 1913, and it opened on August 31, 1914. The Patriotic Sons of America petitioned the school board to change the school's name, and in 1917 it officially became Lincoln High School. That same year the first edition of the school publication "The Lincolnian" was published; from 1914 through 1916 Stadium H.S. and Lincoln Park H.S. shared "The Tahoma" as a joint monthly journal and yearbook. Enrollment the first year was 850 students, of whom 100 were seniors.


Lincoln High School (Tacoma);

SPEEDWAY-029

A group picture of race car drivers and mechanics believed to be taken at the Tacoma Speedway during the Montamara Festo races July 2-4, 1914. The races consisted of a 100 mile Intercity race on July 2nd, the 200 mile Potlatch on July 3rd and the 250 mile Montamarathon on July 4th. 35,000 spectators packed into the Speedway on July 4th for the big race. Almost 5,000 more were turned away at the gates. The parking spaces were full and all trains and ferries from Seattle were travelling at capacity. Tacoma was the most desirable destination in the state for the 4th. A total of 14 cars started the race, with Earl Cooper in his Stutz finishing first with a winning time of 3:24:03 and an average speed of 74 mph. Ruckstell finished 2nd in his Mercer and Klein third in his King. The race was marred by an accident on the track. Bert Dingley was putting on a burst of speed, racing for 2nd, when his big green Ono plunged into a ditch at 110mph. Both Dingley and his mechanic Ed Swanson were thrown from the car. Swanson was not seriously injured, but Dingley faced a long recuperation in a Tacoma hospital. The other racers in the Montamarathon were Carlson in a Maxwell, Tetzlaff in a Maxwell, Smyley in a Hupmobile, Sorrel in a Fiat, Hughes in a Maxwell, Taylor in an Alco, Parsons (a Seattleite) in a Franz, Pullen in a Mercer, Brock in a Wright and Verbeck in a Fiat. (T. Times 7/5/1914, pg. 1)


Tacoma Speedway (Lakewood); Racetracks--Lakewood--1910-1920; Automobile racing--Lakewood--1910-1920; Daredevils; Automobile racing drivers;

G39.1-070

John Boynton Kaiser, City Librarian, and Susie E. Taylor, a stenographer, sit at a work table in the City Librarian's office in the Tacoma Public Library, 1102 Tacoma Avenue South. As City Librarian, Mr. Kaiser was head of the Tacoma library staff from 1914 to 1924; the Library did not have a director at that time. During that time, for one year he was literary editor of the Tacoma Daily Ledger, signing his work "Diogenes." When the United States entered the first World War, he applied for war service, and served as a librarian at several army bases. He also amassed a large collection of posters, books and pamphlets published during the war. This space is still used for offices by the Library's Northwest Room staff. TPL-2876


Public libraries--Tacoma--1910-1920; Tacoma Public Library (Tacoma); Tacoma Public Library (Tacoma)--Employees; Librarians; Kaiser, John Boynton; Taylor, Susie;

TPL-1039

On April 27, 1915, the Tacoma Publicity Committee sponsored a race from Tacoma to the Mountain, pitting a train against four automobiles. The race was then captured in motion pictures by B.B. Dobbs (bottom right) to be displayed at the 1915 World's Fair in San Francisco. Thousands lined the race course from Tacoma to Ashford, the terminus of the Tacoma Eastern railroad. The train was a Milwaukee Special, handled by Engineer A.W. Bagley and Conductor J.F. Beals. The train arrived five minutes before the leading vehicle, driven by Mrs. O.H. Ridgeway (in car 2) at a blistering speed of 40-50 mph. Engineer Bagley gave the winning sack of $1000 in gold to the lady driver in admiration of her skill at the wheel. Following several minutes after Mrs. Ridgeway were the other three drivers, Van R. Layton, Frank Jacobs and Charles Atherton. (TDL 4/28/1915 p.1)


Races--Tacoma--1910-1920; Racing; Railroad locomotives--1910-1920; Automobiles--1910-1920; Crowds;

Results 121 to 150 of 34662