Signage

Taxonomy

Code

Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

Equivalent terms

Signage

Associated terms

Signage

48 Collections results for Signage

Only results directly related

D42225-1

May 2, 1949 exterior view of house built by the Welch Construction Company; sign indicates a "Sandberg Heating" system was installed by the Stoker-Lad Company, heaters and furnace dealers located in Tacoma. This house was constructed with Douglas Fir plywood panels. Photo ordered by Harold Dixon, Publicity Director of Douglas Fir Plywood Association.


Signs (Notices); Houses--Tacoma--1940-1950; Plywood; Construction industry--Tacoma; Building construction--Tacoma--1940-1950; Welch Construction Co. (Tacoma); Stoker-Lad Co. (Tacoma); Douglas Fir Plywood Association (Tacoma);

D42019-2

Exterior view of Mountain Road Inn coffee shop and restaurant, located in Chehalis, Washington. Chehalis is located on the Chehalis River at the junction of the Newaukum River in west central Lewis County. Chehalis is an Indian name, altered from Chi-ke-lis, which mean shifting sands, and refers to the sands at the mouth of the Chehalis River (TPL Washington Place Names).


Electric signs--Chehalis; Cities & towns; Business enterprises--Chehalis; Restaurants--Chehalis; Automobiles--Chehalis--1940-1950; Mountain Road Inn (Chehalis);

D41240-3

Bisig's Market was owned by Emil Bisig, it was located at 1918 East Main Street in Sumner. Exterior view of Bisig's Market in Sumner, Washington; two unidentified store clerks, possibly the owners, are standing by the store entrance. The window display indicates the store offers a wide selection of fruits, vegetables, groceries, meats, dairy products, "Fulmer" ice cream, "Coca-Cola" and "Alt Heidelberg" beer. TPL-9312


Signs (Notices); Grocery stores--Sumner; Supermarkets; Window displays; Bisig's Market (Sumner);

A48483-3

Neon highlights the Mirror Room at the Olympus Hotel, 815 Pacific Ave. The newly remodeled Mirror Room was very modern with its gleaming bandstand reflected at every turn in mirrored pillars. The evening began with dinner music from 6 - 8 p.m., followed by dancing nightly at 9p.m. The dining room remained open until 2 a.m. for the late night crowd and reopened the next day for the businessman's lunch group. The Olympus Hotel was one of the most luxurious hotels in Tacoma.


Electric signs--Tacoma--1950-1960; Eating & drinking facilities--Tacoma--1950-1960; Nightclubs--Tacoma--1950-1960; Olympus Hotel (Tacoma);

A71594-3

A large, freestanding neon sign directed shoppers to Parkland's Park-N-Shop supermarket at 9662 Pacific Avenue in December, 1952. A clock was mounted near the base of the sign. The Park-N-Shop store joined the trend of multi-line grocery stores in offering a variety of services including prescription drugs, dry goods, groceries and meats. Its meat department offered a self-service section where fresh and smoked meats were pre-packaged for customer convenience. Ample parking was provided. (Photograph ordered by Park-N-Shop, Inc.) TPL-9966


Electric signs--Parkland; Clocks & watches; Park-N-Shop, Inc. (Parkland); Parking lots--Parkland;

D70357-69

A banner at the end of the well lit portion of casino-lined Fremont Street in Las Vegas, Nevada, reminded locals to "Be Sure to Vote" in October, 1952, while the tall cowboy welcomed everyone to the Pioneer Club. The 40 feet tall "Vegas Vic" remains a downtown Vegas landmark; efforts are underway to refurbish the aging structure constructed in 1951. Bingo was available across the street at the Las Vegas Club. There may not be any room to park along the street but there is no traffic moving. An arched steel canopy now covers the entire four blocks of Fremont Street where an animated electric light show is presented nightly; traffic has been diverted to side streets and pedestrians can roam freely. Photograph ordered by Cheney Lumber Co.


Casinos--Las Vegas--1950-1960; Electric signs--Las Vegas--1950-1960;

D70357-39

Daylight creates a less glamorous atmosphere around the casinos lining this street in Las Vegas, Nevada, in October, 1952. The two- and three-story buildings carry neon and incadescent electric signs advertising the "Westerner," "Buckley's," and the "49'er Club." The figure of a cowboy is taller than the building housing the "Pioneer Club;" the landmark neon "Vegas Vic" is 40 feet high. Automobiles have parked in every available parking space and there are but a few pedestrians. Photograph ordered by Cheney Lumber Co.


Casinos--Las Vegas--1950-1960; Electric signs--Las Vegas--1950-1960;

D70357-68

The casinos lining this street in Las Vegas, Nevada, in October, 1952, are lit with neon and incandescent electric signs that are taller than the buildings to which they are attached. The "Golden Nugget Gambling Hall" electric sign appears to dwarf the neon signs of other establishments; this sign is no longer in usage in 2002 as it has been replaced by more elegant gold lighting. The "Hotel Apache" sign includes a neon outline of an Indian brave's head. The outline of cowboy "Vegas Vic" invites gamblers to the "Pioneer Club". A Shell gasoline station is situated at the intersection in the foreground. Photograph ordered by Cheney Lumber Co.


Casinos--Las Vegas--1950-1960; Electric signs--Las Vegas--1950-1960;

D75923-4

Plywood traffic sign at 11th & Pacific, for DFPA, "Turn front wheel against curb." The parking sign is to remind people to position their vehicles so they cannot roll down the hill. Peoples and the Perkins Bldg can be seen on the right, the Eleventh street bridge in the center and Kegle's Furniture on the left. Downtown streets are busy with shoppers and cars. TPL-9621


Signs (Notices); Traffic signs & signals--Tacoma; Commercial streets--Tacoma--1950-1960; Business districts--Tacoma--1950-1960;

D75920-2

New directional plywood sign for the DFPA. The 30 foot sign entreats visitors to come to Tacoma for the boating, fishing, golfing and beaches. These signs were to be erected on state highways to publicize Tacoma's recreational advantages and to help Tacoma get a share of the estimated $134 million generated in the state by tourism. Each sign was to have a different design in the circle, for example, Mt. Rainier, the Narrows bridge, Pt. Defiance, Fort Nisqually or the Washington State Historical Society. The number of signs was to be determined by the number of sponsors. The sign was possibly sponsored by the Brewery since the bottom half invites guests to visit the Heidelberg Brewery weekdays from 10 to 4. (TNT 7/5/1953, pg. A-4) TPL-9486


Signs (Notices); Billboards--Tacoma; Advertisements--Tacoma--1950-1960; Publicity; Brewing industry--Tacoma--1950-1960; Columbia Breweries, Inc. (Tacoma)--1950-1960; Heidelberg Brewing Co. (Tacoma)--1950-1960;

A32035-1

Several shots of illuminated neon signs. Batsford, Constantine & Gerdner, Mr. Haverly. This neon sign spells out, "Olympia, It's the Water." Olympia Brewing Co. was located in Tumwater, Washington, just south of Olympia. Located at the southernmost tip of Puget Sound, by the waterfall on the Deschutes River, the brewery was proud of their good water. Tumwater is an Indian name that means "strong water," or "falling water." The brewery was built by Leopold F. Schmidt. The battle of the beers between Olympia and Rainier beer began early and lasted through the advertising schemes where wild Rainiers took on the Artesians during the 1980s. TPL-9327


Electric signs--Tacoma--1940-1950; Olympia Brewing Co. (Olympia); Brewing industry--Olympia--1940-1950;

D27464-1

View from the top of the Tacoma Drug Co. building looking down onto Pacific Avenue. Eagle Loan Company, Pessemier Brother's Shoes, The Anchor Tavern, J. & M. Cafe, the Rust Building and the Fisher Company building and Old City Hall in background. A pedestrian is crossing the intersection on Pacific Avenue, on what appears to be a rather calm day in downtown Tacoma, photo ordered by Electrical Products Consolidated, a sign manufacturer.


Electric signs--Tacoma--1940-1950; Business districts--Tacoma; Commercial streets--Tacoma--1940-1950; Electrical Products Consolidated (Tacoma); Tacoma Drug Co. (Tacoma);

A25246-3

The Towers, at 6805 Sixth Avenue, had been open for less then a month when this photograph was taken in January 1947. The Towers featured dancing to the music of the "Sky Lighters" in its circular Rainbow Room, and the Rose Room could be booked for private parties and banquets. Owned and managed by the Radonich family, the Towers went out of business in the late 1960s. After extensive remodeling, it reopened in 1971 as the Empress Gardens Restaurant. (Photo ordered by Dohrmann Hotel Supply.) TPL-9279


Electric signs--Tacoma--1940-1950; Nightclubs--Tacoma; Restaurants--Tacoma; Towers--Tacoma; Towers Restaurant (Tacoma);

A25246-1

The Towers, at 6805 Sixth Avenue, had their grand opening on December 28, 1946. The restaurant quickly became one of Tacoma's most popular night spots for both food and entertainment. Owned and managed by the Radonich family, the Towers went out of business in the late 1960s. After extensive remodeling, it reopened in 1971 as the Empress Gardens Restaurant.


Electric signs--Tacoma--1940-1950; Nightclubs--Tacoma; Restaurants--Tacoma; Towers--Tacoma; Towers Restaurant (Tacoma);

D22528-2

Electrical Products Consolidated manufactured signs. They also manufactured street lights in the downtown Tacoma area. View of Mobilgas sign above the Washington Building, Pacific Avenue and street lights can be seen on right side.


Electric signs--Tacoma--1940-1950; Street lights--Tacoma; Electrical Products Consolidated (Tacoma); Mobilgas;

D22528-4

Electrical Products Consolidated manufactured signs. They also manufactured street lights in the downtown Tacoma area. View of Mobilgas sign above the Washington Building, lights through building windows.


Electric signs--Tacoma--1940-1950; Electric lighting--Tacoma; Electrical Products Consolidated (Tacoma); Mobilgas;

D22755-5

Condon Co. was an advertising company, Roscoe A. Smith is the President and Victor Kaufman is the Vice-President. The Condon Co. was working on an advertising campaign for Mobilgas. Mobilgas sign on Washington Building, view of downtown Tacoma buildings, Rust building on left side with the Medical Arts Building (now Tacoma Municipal Building) in the left background.


Electric signs--Tacoma--1940-1950; Cityscapes; Office buildings--Tacoma--1940-1950; Condon Co., Inc. (Tacoma); Washington Building (Tacoma); Rust Building (Tacoma); Medical Arts Building (Tacoma); Petroleum industry; Advertisements;

D22755-6

Condon Co. was an advertising company, Roscoe A. Smith is the President and Victor Kaufman is the Vice-President. The Condon Co. was working on an advertising campaign for Mobilgas. Close-up view of neon Mobilgas sign on Washington Building. TPL-8460


Electric signs--Tacoma--1940-1950; Business districts--Tacoma--1940-1950; Office buildings--Tacoma--1940-1950; Condon Co., Inc. (Tacoma); Washington Building (Tacoma); Petroleum industry; Advertisements;

D16340-6

ca. 1943. A large pig looks at a sign held by two men and a woman :"You will help--won't you?" The pig was slated for the War Chest. Photograph was taken circa 1943.


Signs (Notices); Swine;

D9388-3

New outside bulletin board installed at University Place School. The sign says "Built by Co-Operation." The University Place Improvement Club is responsible for the erection of the sign that will advise the community of activities at the school. Neon tubing will be installed on the inside of the board so that the interchangeable letters can be seen at night. Pictured, left to right, are Ruth (Mrs. Bud) Bolstad, "Bud" Bolstad, Anne Leland, George Curtis (school principal), Lester Morgan (designer of the board) and Pauline (Mrs. Mark) Bryant. University Place School was located on Bowman Ave. SW at the corner of Grandview. UP's Curtis Junior and Senior Highs were named after George Curtis, who later became district school superintendent and was an area educator for over 30 years. (T.Times 2/12/1940 p.5)


Signs (Notices); University Place School (University Place); Bolstad, Ruth; Bolstad, Bud; Leland, Anne; Curtis, George; Morgan, Lester; Bryant, Pauline;

D9388-4

New outside bulletin board at University Place School as pictured on February 12, 1940. Large group of adults and children gather around walk-through sign board for posted school events. Board reads: "Built by co-operation." School building in background. The University Place Improvement Club was responsible for the handsome new board. Donated materials included sheet metal provided by the Carl Anderson Sheet Metal works, lumber from the Hampton Lumber Co. and lettering from the Cliff Sign Co. (T.Times 2-12-1940, p. 5-article & other photograph)


Signs (Notices); University Place School (University Place);

D34534-3

Puget Sound Auto Electric is hosting a "Delco" batteries and automotive parts sales convention at the New Yorker Cafe. Delco celebrates its 20th Anniversary this year. An unidentified man, possibly a "Delco" sales representative, stands behind an advertisement for "Delco" automotive radios. The circle of a "Pigskin Pete" sign surrounds six men. Delco Battery Dealers, Tacoma News Tribune and Tacoma Recreation Commission sponsored the event. Ordered by Puget Sound Auto Electric Company.


Signs (Notices); Radios; Automobile equipment & supplies; Automobile equipment & supplies stores--Tacoma; Puget Sound Auto Electric Co. (Tacoma); New Yorker Cafe (Tacoma);

D34534-2

Puget Sound Auto Electric Company was hosting a "Delco" batteries and automotive parts sales convention. "Delco" battery signs are advertising the many uses and advantages for choosing "Delco". "Delco" products are ideal for tractors, cars, buses, trucks and diesel operated vehicles. View of "Delco" Battery sales representatives at New Yorker Cafe, photo ordered by Puget Sound Auto Electric Company.


Signs (Notices); Electric batteries; Automobile equipment & supplies; Automobile equipment & supplies stores--Tacoma; Puget Sound Auto Electric Co. (Tacoma); New Yorker Cafe (Tacoma);

D92068-1

Site of the new ten million dollar US Oil and Refining Co. on the Tideflats. The plant will be located on a 120 acre site south of Lincoln Ave. The site was an old fishin' hole for Tacoma, as well as a place to beat the summer heat by swimming and a duck hunting area. The soon to be completed dredging of the Port Industrial Waterway will make it possible for large ships to reach the plant. Photo ordered by Howard K. Smith, Advertising. Left hand leg on sign is actually a vertical cut on the photograph. The groundbreaking will take place on July 22, 1955 as part of the 3 day Fun Fair celebration. The target date for full operation of the plant is 12/1/1956; projected peak operating capacity is 15,000 barrels a day of crude oil. The plant's main products will be gasoline, diesel, stove and fuel oil and aviation fuels. The plant will employ 150 people. (TNT 7/8/1955, pg. 1)


Signs (Notices); Petroleum industry--Tacoma; US Oil & Refining Co. (Tacoma); Ground breaking ceremonies--Tacoma;

D89709-2

Heidelberg Brewery sign at Puyallup Ave. & So. J St., ordered by Electrical Products Consolidated. This billboard is probably above 1002 Puyallup Ave. that housed the R.W. Williams Trucking Co. The billboard features the familiar student prince logo of Heidelberg Brewing and a bottle of Heidelberg beer. It invites all who pass to visit the Brewery and "enjoy that velvet tang."


Signs (Notices); Billboards--Tacoma; Advertisements--Tacoma--1950-1960; Publicity; Brewing industry--Tacoma--1950-1960; Heidelberg Brewing Co. (Tacoma)--1950-1960;

D96988-2

View of unpaved road or alley featuring "private property" sign. On February 27, 1956, a section of South 15th and Pine Streets was photographed on behalf of the National Sales Co. A large 3' by 2' sign clearly stating "Private property. right to use may be revoked at any time" was hammered into the ground of a lot near the edge of an unpaved muddy alley. Small oil tanks and a barrel for burning rubbish are also located in the same yard. Photograph ordered by National Sales Co.


Signs (Notices); Alleys--Tacoma; National Sales Co. (Tacoma);

D95270-7

The completed neon National Bank of Washington sign in billboard format looms high above the Union & South Tacoma Way area in December, 1955. Three men and one woman stand dwarfed below the enormous sign which was 56 feet above street level and over 60 feet wide. The bank wanted to wish all its customers best wishes for the holiday season and for the year to come. To assure customers of its long-time presence, the billboard also indicates that the bank had been in existence since 1885 and that deposits would be insured under the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation. See also D94618-3 for another view of the giant sign. Photograph ordered by National Bank of Washington. (TNT 11-13-55, A-18)


Electric signs--Tacoma--1950-1960; National Bank of Washington (Tacoma); Signs (Notices);

D94618-3

Workmen are putting the finishing touches on the new National Bank of Washington sign at Union and South Tacoma Way on November 11, 1955. The neon signage would be visible many blocks away. The giant billboard was as tall as a four story building; it was 56 feet above street level and over 60 feet wide. It was made of steel, Wilkeson stone and roman brick. A large painting of Mount Rainier is positioned above the bank logo; the same painting has been used on N.B.W. checks for 40 years. The National Bank of Washington had been serving customers since 1885; their customers could be assured that their money was safe as the bank was a member of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation. A reminder to join the Christmas Club was noted on the changeable message board placed against the stone facing. Photograph ordered by Epcon Neon Sign Co. (TNT 11-13-55, A-18)


Electric signs--Tacoma--1950-1960; Epcon Neon Sign Co. (Tacoma); National Bank of Washington (Tacoma);

D107445-2

A large wooden sign announces to the public that natural gas is piped into all stores in the new Villa Plaza Shopping Center. Newly opened in the spring of 1957, Villa Plaza would serve the growing population of suburban Lakewood with many of the same stores found in Tacoma. View overlooking the shopping center's massive 4,000 car parking lot; Rhodes, Leed's and Lerner Shops exteriors visible. Photograph ordered by Washington Natural Gas Co.


Signs (Notices); Parking lots--Lakewood; Shopping centers--Lakewood--1950-1960; Villa Plaza Shopping Center (Lakewood);

Results 1 to 30 of 48